[comp.sys.handhelds] dead hp 28s

ceta@yoda.byu.edu (10/10/90)

I have loved this calculator for about 2 years then it finally needed some
batteries....Since then I have had nothing but problems. Every now and then
when I turn it on it will say memory lost...sometimes it is sometimes it isn't.
It sure is a hassle because it takes a long time to enter a bunch of equations
only to have the machine crash. Sometimes the battery light will just come on
and stay on until I hit the shift key.

I have talked to other people with the older 28s' and they seemed to agree that
something is screwed up with the machines...I mean I have bought 3 sets of
batteries in the last 6 months, they all can't be bad so soon.

Well...what can I do? any suggestions?

gt0297a@prism.gatech.EDU (Tim Drury) (10/10/90)

In article <245ceta@yoda.byu.edu>, ceta@yoda.byu.edu writes:
> I have loved this calculator for about 2 years then it finally needed some
> batteries....Since then I have had nothing but problems. Every now and then
> when I turn it on it will say memory lost...sometimes it is sometimes it isn't.
>
> Well...what can I do? any suggestions?

My HP28s had the same problem - I posted an article about this a couple
weeks ago.  I called HP about a problem of constant memory failures and
occasionally the machine shutting itself off while I was using it.  The
customer rep said that for the earlier HP28s (and c i assume) the battery
compartment was designed for a specific size of the N type battery and
since that design the battery manufacturers have changed their N type
battery size by a fraction.  The batteries in your calculator have room
to move around a little causing bad contact.

HP told me to mail the calculator to their repair center listed in the
back of the manual and it would be fixed free of charge.  Its been a
week now and I'm anxiously waiting...

Hope this helps,

tim drury   gt0297a@hydra.gatech.edu

bill@videovax.tv.tek.com (William K. McFadden) (10/11/90)

This is probably obvious, but I have had problems in the past with dirty
contacts on batteries and connectors.  Even brand new batteries have given me
funny, intermittent problems until I cleaned the contacts with a pencil eraser.

Try it, don't cost nuthin'.

--
Bill McFadden    Tektronix, Inc.  P.O. Box 500  MS 58-639  Beaverton, OR  97077
bill@videovax.tv.tek.com,     {hplabs,uw-beaver,decvax}!tektronix!videovax!bill

akcs.ari@hpcvbbs.UUCP (Ari Braginsky) (10/21/90)

How do you get onto the gmuvax2.gmu.edu site?