[comp.sys.handhelds] HP28S - how does the battery symbol work?

ianr@mullian.ee.mu.oz.au (Ian ROWLANDS) (10/24/90)

	How does the little battery symbol work on the 28S? The manual says
it appears and then stays on for 10(?) hours of continuous use or 30 days.
However I've had it appear and then disappear. It has appeared when I have had
speed running, but it appeared briefly today.

	Should I change the batteries now? I've got programs I couldn't
replace (I wrote them in a moment of inspiration!) so I don't want to risk
losing them. However I have exams coming up so I don't want it to die in the
middle of one! Are the batteries really dying or is something else happening
(I've had them 2 years so I'd expect them to be getting near the end).

					Ian

Ian Rowlands                     | Uni : ianr@mullian.ee.mu.oz.au
Dept. of Electrical Engineering, |     OR munnari!mullian!ianr@uunet.uu.net
 (including Computer Science)    | Home : ianr@gpark.pub.uu.oz.au (soon)
University of Melbourne          |     OR labtam!eyrie!gpark!ianr@munnari.oz.au

wscott@ecn.purdue.edu (Wayne H Scott) (10/24/90)

In article <5862@munnari.oz.au> ianr@mullian.ee.mu.OZ.AU (Ian ROWLANDS) writes:

>	Should I change the batteries now? I've got programs I couldn't
>replace (I wrote them in a moment of inspiration!) so I don't want to risk
>losing them. However I have exams coming up so I don't want it to die in the
>middle of one! Are the batteries really dying or is something else happening
>(I've had them 2 years so I'd expect them to be getting near the end).
>
>					Ian

I would replace the batterys.

P.S.  Also on a 28 ALWAYS write down programs you could not write off the
	top of your head.  You never know if it will be there tomorrow.

Wayne Scott             |  INTERNET:   wscott@ecn.purdue.edu
Electrical Engineering  |  BITNET:     wscott%ecn.purdue.edu@purccvm
Purdue University       |  UUCP:      {purdue, pur-ee}!ecn.purdue.edu!wscott

ceta@yoda.byu.edu (10/26/90)

I don't want to be the one to inform you of bad news...but my calculator
started to do those funny little things...the battery light would appear for no
particular reason... It got worse and worse... Soon I was getting nice little
messages like memory lost and it wasn't lost... Well I changed the batteries
several times but the enevitable happened the memory started dying. I called HP
and they said since the memory is dying we will give you an extended warrenty
and fix it. Since I'm a student and taking tests on my backup calculator (a
sharp calculator) is hardly a good substitute but memory loss is no fun either.

I hope you don't get the same problems I did but it sounds like its heading
that way.

Ken