[comp.sys.handhelds] base conversion for HP-41cv?

daveg@sonny-boy.cs.unlv.edu (David Good) (10/25/90)

  Yes, it's true... I still use an HP-41CV. (Ack!! Gasp!!)

  I am wondering if anyone has a program that would allow me to convert decimal to hex (and back), and real spiffy would be the ability to convert bin to hex.

  I can't figure out how to get past the 'ASHF' limitation, but I'm sure there is a way.

  In lieu of a program, does anybody know which application pack provides these functions?

  Thanks in advance...                          --daveg

jpser@cup.portal.com (John Paul Serafin) (10/26/90)

The HP-IL Development Module HP 00041-15043 has  the functions necesary.
They list a user program (which requires the module functions HEXIN,
HEXVIEW, etc) to emulate some of the HP16 functions.  Maximum word
size is 32  bits.
John Serafin
jpser@cup.portal.com

akcs.michaelv@hpcvbbs.UUCP (Michael VanLoon) (10/26/90)

David,
I remember doing that very same thing some time ago with my 41.  I don't
think I have the program any more.  But, if I remember right, the
quickest and easiest way to go about it was to break the number apart
into hex digits (or 0-15 if a dec number) and do an indirect address
instruction into a lookup table in memory somewhere.  It was fairly easy
and it ran fast.

Hope that helps.  And if you need more info on this, just ask.  I think I
still remember how to rewrite it.

)>/----------------------------------------------------------------\<(
)> Michael VanLoon--Iowa State University of Science and Technology <(
)>  Bitnet: "TNCU2@ISUVAX"     Internet: "TNCU2@CCVAX.IASTATE.EDU"  <(
)>          Hewlett-Packard, Macintosh, and Jazz forever!           <(
)>------------------------------------------------------------------<(
)>   "My hair has a mind of it's own.  Sometimes I let it drive."   <(
)>                                            --Steven Wright       <(
)>\________________________________________________________________/<(

ejmag@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu (Eric Magnusson) (10/27/90)

In article <2111@jimi.cs.unlv.edu> daveg@sonny-boy.cs.unlv.edu (David Good) writes:

>  I am wondering if anyone has a program that would allow me to
> convert decimal to hex (and back), and real spiffy would be the ability
> to convert bin to hex.  > > >  In lieu of a program, does anybody know
> which application pack provides these functions?  >

The HP-41 Advantage Pac module has the conversions you want.
It does DECIMAL, BINARY, HEX, OCTAL conversions.  With all the other
number crunching stuff it has, it is well worth the $$ if you own a 41.

Good Luck.
--
Eric Magnusson
ejmag@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu