[comp.sys.handhelds] Universal remote

dove@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Ray Rischpater) (10/27/90)

In article <2727c748-3cb.3comp.sys.handhelds-1@hpcvbbs.UUCP> akcs.michaelv@hpcvbbs.UUCP (Michael VanLoon) writes:
>And the 48 should have a distinct advantage in the fact that it has an IR
>receiver.  This should make it capable of "learning" your remotes on the
>fly like a "universal remote" does.  Somebody who's good at this sort of
>stuff, GET TO WORK!  We're all waiting!

I've been giving that a >lot< of thought lately.  Does anyone have any
discoveries on low-level access to the IR port?  I've not had time to exper-
iment, but if someone could give me a few pointers, I'm pretty sure I could
hack out a programmable remote.

Incidentally, my hallmate's universal remote prints text quite well on my
HP IR rev A printer -- although with the same range problems that the
28s and 48sx have -- it's clear that HP designed the interface to be short
range.  (I'm not complaining -- just observing.  I love the idea of a
wireless anything!)

--
--     dove@ucscg.ucsc.edu  		  Ray Rischpater
--     dove@ucscb.ucsc.edu		  (408) 426-0716

bgribble@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Bill Gribble) (10/28/90)

In article <8220@darkstar.ucsc.edu> dove@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Ray Rischpater) writes:

>I've been giving that a >lot< of thought lately.  Does anyone have any
>discoveries on low-level access to the IR port?  I've not had time to exper-
>iment, but if someone could give me a few pointers, I'm pretty sure I could
>hack out a programmable remote.

There *was* a remote-control program written for the 28S, which is in our
  archives here, I think, as well as elsewhere.  Unfortunately, we don't
  support anon ftp.  If you want a copy, I can email you the whole thing
  or maybe post it, if there's interest.

>Incidentally, my hallmate's universal remote prints text quite well on my
>HP IR rev A printer -- although with the same range problems that the
>28s and 48sx have -- it's clear that HP designed the interface to be short
>range.  (I'm not complaining -- just observing.  I love the idea of a
>wireless anything!)

Have you tried dumping these same characters to the IR port of the 48
  using PR1?  Or setting the 48's serial to 'IR', sending a remote
  control command, and doing a 'buflen srecv'?  If the printer seems
  as compatible as you say, it looks like you could write the program in
  user code - it doesn't really have to be that fast in the processing
  department.

Good luck!

>--     dove@ucscg.ucsc.edu  		  Ray Rischpater

**   Bill Gribble                     Harvey Mudd College, Claremont, CA   **
**   bgribble@jarthur.claremont.edu   Never heard of it?  You're stupid.   **

rrd@hpfcso.HP.COM (Ray Depew) (10/30/90)

> Incidentally, my hallmate's universal remote prints text quite well on my
> HP IR rev A printer -- although with the same range problems that the
> 28s and 48sx have -- it's clear that HP designed the interface to be short
> range.  (I'm not complaining -- just observing.  I love the idea of a
> wireless anything!)

Okay, we give up.  WHAT DID IT PRINT?????

>  Ray Rischpater

Ray Depew
"teasers are worse than spoilers"
rrd@hpfitst1.hp.com

cloos@acsu.buffalo.edu (James H. Cloos) (10/30/90)

All you need to do is grab the rc5 stuff off of your favorite archive
(try wuarchive.wustl.edu, gmuvax2.gmu.edu or funic.funet.ni), get the
addresses in the 48 for the ir control ports, and put the 2 together.
Now, this will leave you w/o learning capability, but that can always
be added in later.  You could also run it thru usrlib & get a library
to post, too.  I'd do it, but I don't have the addresses nor the time
to search for them myself.

-JimC
--
James H. Cloos, Jr.		Phone:  +1 716 673-1250
cloos@ACSU.Buffalo.EDU		Snail:  PersonalZipCode:  14048-0772, USA

dove@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Ray Rischpater) (10/30/90)

In article <7360017@hpfcso.HP.COM> rrd@hpfcso.HP.COM (Ray Depew) writes:
>> Incidentally, my hallmate's universal remote prints text quite well on my
>> HP IR rev A printer -- although with the same range problems that the
>> 28s and 48sx have -- it's clear that HP designed the interface to be short
>> range.  (I'm not complaining -- just observing.  I love the idea of a
>> wireless anything!)
>
>Okay, we give up.  WHAT DID IT PRINT?????
>
>>  Ray Rischpater

My first try was, of course, the string which K&R has made legendary
among C programmers:  "Hello, world."  Unfortunately, after that, my
maturity level sunk as my excitement rose, and we ended up with various
strings indicating strong feelings we have about certain individuals we have
here... :)

At any rate, it was interesting to note that the range of the remote
wasn't much more than the range of the calculator, indicating that
the sensitivity is determined largly on the receiving end, which is
what I recall reading in an old HP Journal about the printer.