[comp.sys.handhelds] How do I get this news in mail format?

jcardozo@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Jonathan Cardozo) (10/31/90)

I've got a friend who wants to read / interact with this news group,
but doesn't have news access.  Does this list have a mailing-list side of it?
anyone know what to do ... whom to ask, etc.??

please let us know... thanks!

either one of these:

mgaylord@eros.calpoly.edu

or

jcardozo@polyslo.calpoly.edu

Jonathan Cardozo               General Electric R & D Center
cardozo@crd.ge.com             "We bring good things to life"

dan@gacvx2.gac.edu (10/31/90)

In article <272e4c5c.1d4b@petunia.CalPoly.EDU>, jcardozo@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Jonathan Cardozo) writes:

> I've got a friend who wants to read / interact with this news group,
> but doesn't have news access.  Does this list have a mailing-list side of it?
> anyone know what to do ... whom to ask, etc.??

Greetings,

It used to be possible to get the postings in this newsgroup my mail from the
HANDELDS list run at SRI.  Tom Huber and I have taken over management of that
list and moved it to HANDHELDS@GAC.EDU.  For the last few weeks messages sent
to the HANDHELDS mailing list were posted to this NEWSGROUP, but postings to
this newsgroups were not sent to the mailing list.  We just got a newsfeed set
up, so I will be setting it up so that the POSTINGS will go to the mailing list
as well.  Anyone who is interested in getting this newsgroup by mail can
subscribe to HANDHELDS@GAC.EDU, by sending a SUBSCRIBE message to
MAILSERV@GAC.EDU.  I have included instructions below.

--
Dan Boehlke                    Internet:  dan@gac.edu
Campus Network Manager         BITNET:    dan@gacvax1.bitnet

running PMDF.  It has much the same purpose and functionality as a LISTSERV on
a IBM.  Unlike a LISTSERV, which can take requests both in the form of a BITNET
interactive message or a MAIL message, MAILSERV only accepts requests in the
form of a MAIL message.

The following commands are available:

HELP		- sends a help file (this file).  This command takes no
		  parameters.

INDEX		- sends an index of all files currently available on the
		  MAILSERV.  This command takes no parameters.

INFO		- sends a help file.  This command is the same as HELP and
		  takes no parameters.

LISTS		- sends a list of mailing lists for the site.  This command
		  takes no parameters.

SEND		- sends the requested file.  You can specify a directory,
		  filename, and file type when using the SEND command. VMS
		  directory names are delimted by a pair of square brackets or
		  a greater and a less than sign.  Some examples of valid send
		  commands (given that the files exist):

			SEND HELP.TXT
			SEND [NEXT]00PURPOSE.TXT
			SEND <NEXT>00PURPOSE.TXT
			SEND [IBM-PC]00INDEX.TXT

SEND/LIST	- sends the requested mailing list.  You specify the name of
		  the mailing list.  Some examples of valid SEND/LIST commands
		  are (given that the lists exist):

			SEND/LIST NEXT-L
			SEND/LIST PROGRAMMING-L

SUBSCRIBE	- subscribe to the specified mailing list.  You specify the
		  name of the mailing list.  Some examples of valid SUBSCRIBE
		  commands are (given that the lists exist):

			SUBSCRIBE NEXT-L
			SUBSCRIBE PROGRAMMING-L

UNSUBSCRIBE	- unsubscribe to the specified mailing list.  You specify the
 -or-		  name of the mailing list.  Some examples of valid
SIGNOFF           UNSUBSCRIBE commands are (given that the lists exist):

			UNSUBSCRIBE NEXT-L
			SIGNOFF PROGRAMMING-L

Sending mail to a mailing list:

	There are two types of lists maintained by MAILSERV.  The first type
	is a mailing list that has been created and is maintained by MAILSERV,
	this is a local list.  The second type is a mailing list that
	redistributes mail from a mailing list kept and maintained by another
	site.  The LISTS command will send back a list of all the lists
	that are available from this MAILSERV.  This list can be used to
	determine if a list is a local list, or a redistributed list.

	Local list:

	  Send mail to an address made up of the listname and the address
	  of this MAILSERV host.  For example for the PROGRAMMING-L list's
	  address from BITNET is:

			PROGRAMMING-L@GACVAX1.BITNET

	  From the Internet it is:

			PROGRAMMING-L@GAC.EDU

	Redistributed list:

	  A redistributed list is set up to provide local control over
	  the local members of a mailing list and to reduce the amount of
	  duplicate traffic from a remote list to this site.  Mail sent
	  to a redistributed list's local address will result in the
	  message only being distributed to the local members of this
	  list.  As a result mail should be sent to the address of the
	  original list.  The original list's name is listed in the
	  information sent back from a LISTS command.

Please direct comments and problem reports to:

	Dan Boehlke	POSTMASTER@GACVAX1.BITNET	POSTMASTER@GAC.EDU

HELP revised:  12-Aug-1990                                  PMDF MAILSERV V1.01

MAILSERV@GACVAX1.BITNET                               Gustavus Adolphus College
MAILSERV@GAC.EDU						  St. Peter, MN

LISTS                                                       PMDF MAILSERV V1.01

Send a message containing the MAILSERV command SUBSCRIBE, followed by the
list name you want to be added to, to MAILSERV@GACVAX1.BITNET, or
MAILSERV@GAC.EDU.  See the instructions below for information on sending
mail to be distributed to the members of a list.

Description of fields:

	List name	Name of list at MAILSERV@GACVAX1.BITNET.

	Description	A short explanation of the list's purpose.

	Origin		If the list is a redistribution of another this field
                        contains the node and name of the original list.
			*GACVAX1 means that this list originates here, so it
                        is a local list.

	D		If there is an asterisk in this field then a DIGEST
			form is this list is kept in [DIGESTS]listname.date.

List name      Description                          Origin                    D
-------------- ------------------------------------ ------------------------- -
9NOV89-L       Topics dealing with Eastern Europe.  9NOV89-L@DB0TUI11
ACADFREE       Academic freedom discusion list.     *GACVAX1
PROGRAMMING-L  Discusions dealing with programming. *GACVAX1
FAM-MED        Use of computers in Family Medicine. *GACVAX1
HANDHELDS      Calculators and Handheld Computers.  *GACVAX1
INFO-MAC       Digest of Macintosh related topics   INFO-MAC@RICEVM1
MINIX-L        Topics dealing with MINIX.           MINIX-L@NDSUVM1
MINISTRY-L     For those exploring the ministry.    *GACVAX1
NEW-LIST       New lists on BITNET.                 NEW-LIST@NDSUVM1
NEXT-L         The Minnesota NeXT Users Group List. NEXT-L@THOR.ACC.STOLAF.EDU
NEXT-CLASSROOM Using the NeXT in the classroom.     *GACVAX1
NOVELL-L       Topics dealing with NOVELL NETWARE.  NOVELL@SUVM
PI06-L         Philosophy #06 (class)               *GACVAX1
PO72-L         Political Science #72 (class)        *GACVAX1
	site.  The LISTS command will send back a list of all the lists
	that are available from this MAILSERV.  This list can be used to
	determine if a list is a local list, or a redistributed list.

	Local list:

	  Send mail to an address made up of the listname and the address
	  of this MAILSERV host.  For example for the PROGRAMMING-L list's
	  address from BITNET is:

			PROGRAMMING-L@GACVAX1.BITNET

	  From the Internet it is:

			PROGRAMMING-L@GAC.EDU

	Redistributed list:

	  A redistributed list is set up to provide local control over
	  the local members of a mailing list and to reduce the amount of
	  duplicate traffic from a remote list to this site.  Mail sent
	  to a redistributed list's local address will result in the
	  message only being distributed to the local members of this
	  list.  As a result mail should be sent to the address of the
	  original list.  The original list's name is listed in the
	  information sent back from a LISTS command.

Please direct comments and problem reports to:

	Dan Boehlke	POSTMASTER@GACVAX1.BITNET	POSTMASTER@GAC.EDU

LISTS revised: 12-Aug-1990                                  PMDF MAILSERV V1.01