[comp.sys.handhelds] Sharp Wizard OZ-8200

dug@kd4nc.UUCP (Doug Drye KD4NC) (10/29/90)

I HAVE an OZ-8200 and it's GREAT...
Only difference that I know of for sure between the 8000 and 8200 is 64KB
additional memory on the OZ-8200.. Since I was getting dangerously close
to full on an OZ-7000 and a 64KB card, I felt that I should wait for the
OZ-8200 (128KB) and it was WORTH the wait! I am now at 70% occupancy on the
main unit 128KB memory, and wondering when I will have to buy the 128KB card
that I hear will be available in the next few months.

I find that the most significant difference
between the OZ-7000 and OZ-8X00 (I WAS a 7000 owner for over a year)
is the readability of the display. I switched back to Upper/Lower case letters
on the OZ-8200, since I can read the messages much more easily on the
screen.

I agree, Lowell, the 8X00 features ARE great.. I especially like the
Index function that allows you to search through ANY file by the first
letter of the first field (last name usually in a TEL file) or
the first few words of a memo entry.

I have been holding off serious use of the Business card, Outline and
Free Fields in the TEL files, since the Wizard Link will not handle
them yet.. (you cannot upload or download any of these  to/from the
PC using the current (OZ-791A) Organizer Link Software package (Version 1.1).
I do however see great uses for all of these new features.

I can confirm that the Time Manager, Dictionary/Thesaurus, 64KB AND
32KB cards all work fine in the OZ-8200. I can also confirm that the
diaplay is the same form-factor as it was on the OZ-7X00 (That is to
says that the application cards do NOT take advantage of the the wider screen
(it does not, of course matter to the RAM cards). The 8200 LCD screen
is easier to read nonetheless.

The OZ-8X00 is about 3/4" longer that the OZ-7X00, otherwise the
size is about the same.
I purchased my OZ-8200 through The Sharper Image (unforunately at full retail,
$399.95), but I have been more than pleased with their service.
I experienced a little scare when I received my 8200 (I paid for
it in advance at the local Sharper Image store, and received
it from the mail order division because the stores did not yet have the
8200's in stock). When I tried to install my older cards
in the 8200, they wouldn't plug in.. Literally I mean that
I could not get the card to go into the slot (some sort of
mechanical problem inside the unit). I called the store manager
at the local store, and he promised (and delivered) a brand new unit
with no arguments or delays. He even helped me to transfer my
data to the new unit. I suppose that it's what you get when you pay
retail.

Last, but certainly not least, I was pleased to see that Sharp has built
in the terminal emulator program. I can't wait to get a pocket modem
to use with it. Generally all I used a laptop for was as
a terminal, perhaps I can get by now in many cases with the 8200 and
a pocket modem.

I hope that this message will prove informative to prospective OZ-8X00
owners on the net, I have a few questions, myself that I haven't gotten
around to calling the Wizard Hotline (800-321-8877) to ask.

1) Does anyone know where (How much) to obtain a case for the OZ-8X00,
	I owned a leather case for my OZ-7000 and really liked it
	(It protected my unit and held my application and RAM cards).

2) I hear that the OZ-791A Wizard link cable will power the OZ-8X00
	when connected, is this true? or where (how much) to obtain
	the adapter to hook to the EXT BATT connector on the OZ-8X00
	(OR What is the pinouts/voltage).

3) I really find it aggravating that I cannot buy the connectors for
	the computer link and option port on my OZ-[78]X00. Does anyone know
	where (How much) to buy these connectors?

--
Doug Drye KD4NC
{emory,gatech}!kd4nc!dug

garye@microsoft.UUCP (Gary ERICSON) (10/31/90)

In article <5759@kd4nc.UUCP> dug@kd4nc.UUCP (Doug Drye KD4NC) writes:
>... the Wizard Hotline (800-321-8877) ...

Does anyone have a similar phone number for the Casio BOSS?  I called Sharp
and am having some literature sent on their Wizard line - I'd like the same
from Casio.

Thanks.

Gary Ericson - Microsoft - Work Group Apps

chuck@trantor.harris-atd.com (Chuck Musciano) (10/31/90)

In article <58652@microsoft.UUCP>, garye@microsoft.UUCP (Gary ERICSON) writes:
> In article <5759@kd4nc.UUCP> dug@kd4nc.UUCP (Doug Drye KD4NC) writes:
> >... the Wizard Hotline (800-321-8877) ...
>
> Does anyone have a similar phone number for the Casio BOSS?  I called Sharp
> and am having some literature sent on their Wizard line - I'd like the same
> from Casio.

    Casio Technical SUpport is 800-634-1895.  I'm sure they can get you the
information you need.

--

Chuck Musciano				ARPA  : chuck@trantor.harris-atd.com
Harris Corporation 			Usenet: ...!uunet!x102a!trantor!chuck

A good newspaper is never good enough,
	but a lousy newspaper is a joy forever.		-- Garrison Keillor