[comp.sys.handhelds] Sharp Wizard OZ-8000

ljg@ecosoft.uucp (Lowell J. Gray) (10/24/90)

To get off the track of HP 48SX, anyone interested in other handheld
technology?

I just got the new Wizard. It has a 240x64 (40 x 8 char) LCD display and
a QWERTY keyboard. It's a pretty awesome handheld for us business-types
who need built-in functions like calendar, telephone list, memo pad, etc.

The PC-link (written by Travelling Software) works very well. I can back-up
its memory quickly to my PC hard disk and exchnage files in 1-2-3 and other
formats.

I have a question for anyone else using a Wizard: how do you hook up a
modem for use by the built-in terminal emulation software?

--
Lowell J. Gray				UUCP: {cfi.com,uunet}!ecosoft!ljg
EcoSoft, Inc.				tel: +1 508 651 8722

brandonl@gold.GVG.TEK.COM (Brandon Lovested) (10/25/90)

Could tell us about the differences between the OZ-7000 and 8000?
I was wondering if they still used the same cards, if there are new
cards, and how much the OZ-8000 costs.

BRANDON G. LOVESTED        ::::=:::==::===:====   FOR EVERY VISION,
Software Design Engineer   ::::=:::==::===:====   THERE IS AN
Grass Valley Group         ::::=:::==::===:====   EQUAL AND OPPOSITE
brandonl@gold.gvg.tek.com  ::::=:::==::===:====   REVISION.

ljg@ecosoft.uucp (Lowell J. Gray) (10/28/90)

In article <1614@gold.GVG.TEK.COM> brandonl@gold.GVG.TEK.COM (Brandon Lovested) writes:

>Could tell us about the differences between the OZ-7000 and 8000?
>I was wondering if they still used the same cards, if there are new
>cards, and how much the OZ-8000 costs.

The OZ-8000 has the following major differences from the OZ-7000:
	- 64K standard memory (a 128K model, the OZ-8200, is coming out soon..)
	- oriented in a landscape vs portrait orientation
	- QWERTY keyboard
	- larger screen (240x64 pixels)
	- more built-in programs (business card database, outline processor)
	- user-definable fields in telephone database
Since I never has a 7000 series, I might have missed some other improvements.
The 8000 accepts the same cards as the 7000, although I think it will
emulate the lower resolution screen of the 7000.

I paid $299 at the Harvard Coop.

- Lowell
--

mec@cbnewsj.att.com (michael.e.connick) (10/29/90)

In article <1990Oct27.175736.11748@ecosoft.uucp>, ljg@ecosoft.uucp (Lowell J. Gray) writes:
> The OZ-8000 has the following major differences from the OZ-7000:
> 	- 64K standard memory (a 128K model, the OZ-8200, is coming out soon..)
> 	- oriented in a landscape vs portrait orientation
> 	- QWERTY keyboard
> 	- larger screen (240x64 pixels)
> 	- more built-in programs (business card database, outline processor)
> 	- user-definable fields in telephone database
>
> I paid $299 at the Harvard Coop.

For the same price, you could buy an Atari Portfolio and have a real
programmable MS-DOS computer. The Portfolio has 128K of RAM, 256K of
ROM, and built-in applications including a text editor, Lotus 1-2-3
compatible spreadsheet, simple calculator, name/address/phone book, and
appointment diary. It can be expanded up to 640K and there's even a
third-party 20meg HD available. It supports battery-backed-up 128K
memory cards that are addressed as pseudo-floppy drives. It also has
optional serial and parallel interface units. The parallel unit is
particularly nifty in that is comes with software for the PC that
allows either the PC or Portfolio to act as file servers for the other.

But the best feature of the Portfolio is the fact that it can run
well-behaved MS-DOS applications. I've found it very easy to develop
software in Microsoft C on a PC and transfer it to the Portfolio. I've
even got Tiny BASIC 8086 in my Portfolio for knocking off the odd
little program. All-in-all I think the Portfolio is a better deal for
the money than the Wizard units.

Michael Connick    AT&T Bell Labs   mec@mtfmi.ATT.COM

dug@kd4nc.UUCP (Doug Drye KD4NC) (10/31/90)

ljg@ecosoft.uucp (Lowell J. Gray) writes:

>I have a question for anyone else using a Wizard: how do you hook up a
>modem for use by the built-in terminal emulation software?

>--
>Lowell J. Gray

Lowell,

I'm sorry, I did not answer your question in my last posting, I was carried
away with extoling the virtues of the OZ-8200.

I use the cable from the OZ-791 Organizer Link Interface
(powered) when at home or work and the passive cable that came with
 my original Traveling Software Wizard Link package (1.0). Both cables
are useful, depending on the situation.

I connected the Wizard to a SparcStation 1 the other day and
logged into SUNOS. I then used the Download option that is
presented when you press the "menu" key. Turning this on
causes the OZ-8X00 to capture whatever comes down the data line
into an entry in a file (in this case a memo, I'm not sure if
it would capture into Tel or other files (I didn't try it now that I think
of it)).  When you close the download (menu option 2 again) it completes
the "record" just as if you pressed the enter key and stores the
item.

Upload is started from the same menu and allows you to pick a memo
entry in a similar fashion that the INDEX function does
(a list of numbered lines that are the first line of each memo
entry).. You page through those till you find the one you want to
upload.. press the number then iti displays the entire item
you press enter to send it up the data line of C-CE to cancel..

Hope this answers your question.

Doug Drye

--
Doug Drye KD4NC
{emory,gatech}!kd4nc!dug

mckay@ecn.purdue.edu (Dwight D. McKay) (11/01/90)

Where did those of you who responded to this thread get your OZ-8X00
series machines?  I have a OZ-7000 and the 8200 in particular sounds like
a good upgrade.

Does any major store carry the 8X00 series?

-- Dwight D. McKay, Purdue University, Engineering Computer Network
-- mckay@ecn.purdue.edu  --or--  ...rutgers!pur-ee!mckay