[comp.sys.handhelds] How do you lock lower case permanently, and more memory confusion

ram@tellabs.com (Bob Martin) (10/26/90)

The 48SX says to lock lower case do alpha <-| alpha, and then when you lock
the alpha keyboard, you will get lower case.  This works fine, except that
when I lock alpha again, I'm back to upper case.  How do I get it to always
be lower case whenever I lock alpha?

Also, to go back to an old question, how do I free up ALL unused memory.
I KNOW that MEM does garbage collection, and I KNOW that LASTARG, LASTSTACK,
and LASTCMD use some memory, but I am referring to memory used by the
graphics applications, and I believe PICT in particular.  For example,
if I do an ON-C, and turn off the 3 LAST.. commands memntioned above, MEM
shows I have 9099.5 bytes free.  Now if I run a program that uses the PICT
(I have one that displays the earth rotating on its axis) and terminate
its execution, and now I do a MEM, I show 8011.5 bytes free, over 1K less.
===================  Late Breaking News Flash!!  =========================
Bob Martin, in a fit of stupidity, suddenly discovers "PICT PURGE", and how,
after its execution, all memory is again free to be accessed!!
Sure enough, after I do a PICT PURGE, MEM shows 9099.5 bytes free again
(of course, after I also purge PPAR).  So all is well on question #2.

However, if anybody has an answer for question #1, please let me know.

Thanks!
--
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Bob Martin		|  ram@tellabs.com	...!uunet!tellab5!ram

rrd@hpfcso.HP.COM (Ray Depew) (10/27/90)

Partial answer to Bob Martin's Question #1:  "How do I get lower-case lock
to ALWAYS be on?"

I don't think you can.  If you press [alpha] [lshift] [alpha] from the
command line, do your stuff, then press [ENTER], you have to press
[alpha] [lshift] [alpha] again the next time.

HOWEVER:  If you're editing an object in the CL or the EW, the 48 saves your
"lower-case lock" for you as you toggle in and out of alpha mode.  In other
words,

Start creating an object (say a list or program) in the CL, or an algebraic
in the EW (well, some of still like it...)

Press [alpha] [lshift] [alpha] to get "lower-case lock".  Do some alpha stuff,
then press [alpha] to exit alpha mode.

Press [alpha again, to get back into alpha mode.  You should still be in
lower case.

CONCLUSION:  It looks like "lower-case lock" will be preserved as long as
you don't exit to the stack display.

Regards
Ray Depew
IC's by Bill and Dave
rrd@hpfitst1.hp.com

akcs.michaelv@hpcvbbs.UUCP (Michael VanLoon) (10/27/90)

Bob,
I believe what you want to do is alpha alpha <-| alpha.  The first two to
lock in alpha mode, and the shift alpha to lock in lower case.

)>/----------------------------------------------------------------\<(
)> Michael VanLoon--Iowa State University of Science and Technology <(
)>  Bitnet: "TNCU2@ISUVAX"     Internet: "TNCU2@CCVAX.IASTATE.EDU"  <(
)>          Hewlett-Packard, Macintosh, and Jazz forever!           <(
)>------------------------------------------------------------------<(
)>   "My hair has a mind of it's own.  Sometimes I let it drive."   <(
)>                                            --Steven Wright       <(
)>\________________________________________________________________/<(

hp48sx@wuarchive.wustl.edu (HP48SX Archive Maintainer) (10/27/90)

It is indeed possible to always get to lower case alpha characters.
You just have to be in USER mode, and then define a command sequence
to tell the HP48 that you have pressed alpha-shift-alpha. I think this
can be done by using the SYSEVALs posted recently.

I have antoher problem. I can only get the programs from the HP BBS
into a file containing all the other communications text at well. AND
it is quite difficult to get a nice macintosh file from this garbage.
So I woulld be glad if somebody swould mail me GROBer and the HP48 fonts
for the Macintosh.

thanks,
Povl

Povl H. Pedersen             hp48sx@wuarchive.wustl.edu
HP48sx archive maintainer

ram@tellabs.com (Bob Martin) (10/30/90)

In article <27290254-3db.1comp.sys.handhelds-1@hpcvbbs.UUCP> akcs.michaelv@hpcvbbs.UUCP (Michael VanLoon) writes:
>Bob,
>I believe what you want to do is alpha alpha <-| alpha.  The first two to
>lock in alpha mode, and the shift alpha to lock in lower case.

No.  It still only locks lower case for the current alpha "session", not
permanently.

--
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

ags@seaman.cc.purdue.edu (Dave Seaman) (10/31/90)

In article <4385@tellab5.tellabs.com> ram@tellabs.com (Bob Martin) writes:
>In article <27290254-3db.1comp.sys.handhelds-1@hpcvbbs.UUCP> akcs.michaelv@hpcvbbs.UUCP (Michael VanLoon) writes:
>>Bob,
>>I believe what you want to do is alpha alpha <-| alpha.  The first two to
>>lock in alpha mode, and the shift alpha to lock in lower case.
>

>No.  It still only locks lower case for the current alpha "session", not
>permanently.

It locks lower case for the current command line, not for the current alpha
session.  As proof, note that you can use alpha <-| alpha to lock lower case
WITHOUT locking alpha.  You can then press some non-alpha keys, and later in
the same command line press alpha <something>, and <something> will come out
lower case.

The lower case lock and the alpha lock can each be toggled independently of the
other, and each stays in effect for the current command line or until it is
explicitly turned off.

--
Dave Seaman
ags@seaman.cc.purdue.edu

ram@tellabs.com (Bob Martin) (11/01/90)

In article <15874@mentor.cc.purdue.edu> ags@seaman.cc.purdue.edu (Dave Seaman) writes:
>In article <4385@tellab5.tellabs.com> ram@tellabs.com (Bob Martin) writes:
>>In article <27290254-3db.1comp.sys.handhelds-1@hpcvbbs.UUCP> akcs.michaelv@hpcvbbs.UUCP (Michael VanLoon) writes:
>>>Bob,
>>>I believe what you want to do is alpha alpha <-| alpha.  The first two to
>>>lock in alpha mode, and the shift alpha to lock in lower case.
>>

>>No.  It still only locks lower case for the current alpha "session", not
>>permanently.
>
>It locks lower case for the current command line, not for the current alpha
>session.  As proof, note that you can use alpha <-| alpha to lock lower case
>WITHOUT locking alpha.  You can then press some non-alpha keys, and later in
>the same command line press alpha <something>, and <something> will come out
>lower case.

Yes, but now if I hit enter, do some other things, and then do alpha
<something>,  <something> will be UPPER case.  You can only lock lower case
for the NEXT time you select alpha.  After that is completed, the next alpha
after that will be upper case.

Some ways around this are a USR key which assigns alpha <- alpha to some key,
or using vectored enter to accomplish it,  so it is possible to permanently
lock lower case, but only in a slightly (more or less) roundabout way.

Anyway, the whole reason why I was going to be using lower case all the time
has disappeared, so it really isn't too important to me any more.

--
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

ags@seaman.cc.purdue.edu (Dave Seaman) (11/02/90)

>In article <15874@mentor.cc.purdue.edu> ags@seaman.cc.purdue.edu (Dave Seaman) writes:
>>It locks lower case for the current command line, not for the current alpha
                              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>session.  As proof, note that you can use alpha <-| alpha to lock lower case
>>WITHOUT locking alpha.  You can then press some non-alpha keys, and later in
>>the same command line press alpha <something>, and <something> will come out
      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>lower case.

Where I said "command line" above, I should really say "command line or edit
session".  However, the essential point is that it works as long as you don't
press ENTER.  That is precisely why I phrased it the way I did.

In article <4413@tellab5.tellabs.com> ram@tellabs.com (Bob Martin) writes:
>Yes, but now if I hit enter, do some other things, and then do alpha
                   ^^^^^^^^^
><something>,  <something> will be UPPER case.  You can only lock lower case
>for the NEXT time you select alpha.  After that is completed, the next alpha
         ^^^^
      wrong again
	 ^^^^

>after that will be upper case.

You are still missing the point.  Locking lower case does not work only for the
NEXT time you select alpha (as you just said again), but for EVERY time you
select alpha within the current command line or editing session, unless you
specifically cancel the lower case lock.  That was my point.  Try it.

--
Dave Seaman
ags@seaman.cc.purdue.edu

b3300876@rick.cs.ubc.ca (george kai yee chow) (11/02/90)

In article <4413@tellab5.tellabs.com> ram@tellabs.com (Bob Martin) writes:
>Some ways around this are a USR key which assigns alpha <- alpha to some key,
>or using vectored enter to accomplish it,  so it is possible to permanently
>lock lower case, but only in a slightly (more or less) roundabout way.

This is the second time I've seen someone mention a USR key. How do I do this?
I've read and reread the small section on the USER mode in vol 1 and can't
figure out how to create such a key. What key do we assign since we need
one the three modifier keys? (Ie, what column and row do we use?) And how
do we make the 48 think that someone has hit this key? Does someone have some
code for a very confused 48 owner?

>Bob Martin		|  ram@tellabs.com	...!uunet!tellab5!ram
>Tellabs, Inc.		|"Listen to me now, and believe me later" - Hans & Franz
>Lisle, IL.  60532	|"Flibble-dee Floo" - Grumpy Old Man

George