[comp.sys.handhelds] INFORMATION

wilhite@unocss.unomaha.edu (wilhite) (07/04/90)

I have heard there is a assembler book available for the 48SX.  Is this true?
I am also interested in getting the ftp addresses for the following sites:

	calvin.stanford.edu
	funic.funet.fi

I can't not find the addresses from the list I have locally.  These sites have
48 programs available.

--
Timothy R. Wilhite KB0ASO

icsu8268@attila.cs.montana.edu (Greenup) (11/02/90)

It seems to me that there are a lot of requests for general information
and "me too" messages floating around.  It seems like I read 15 to 25
messages a day and get one or two new pieces of information.  I think
that it would be very helpful if someone who writes to this group often
would include a line in their .sig that says "Email me for Answers" or
"usr/bin/hp on funet.fi has it all" to cut down on the repeats and get a
really good network of information in operation.  I'm not sure the current
system is very efficient.

Let me just add a big ME TOO for all those wonderfull scraps of info that
have still eluded me--like the 48 internals file, or maybe just the name
of the directory ata ftp site that has all this stuff
(logging on to ftp is one thing, finding what you want is another)

:-)   :-)   :-)   :-)   :-)   :-)   :-)   :-)   :-)   :-)   :-)   :-)

By the way, I'm not doing this (my suggestion) because I have too few
answers, I don't post messages often enough, and I'm not sure that my
.sig is going to work at any specific moment.

:-)   :-)                                                   :-)   :-)
John Greenup                                   icsu8268@montana.oscs.edu
(I'm not even sure that's the proper form of an Email address!!)

--
---------------------------------------------|-----------------------------
          John Greenup                       | snail mail:

wscott@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Wayne H Scott) (11/02/90)

In article <2859@dali> icsu8268@attila.cs.montana.edu (Greenup) writes:
>It seems to me that there are a lot of requests for general information
>and "me too" messages floating around.  It seems like I read 15 to 25
>messages a day and get one or two new pieces of information.  I think
>that it would be very helpful if someone who writes to this group often
>would include a line in their .sig that says "Email me for Answers" or
>"usr/bin/hp on funet.fi has it all" to cut down on the repeats and get a
>really good network of information in operation.  I'm not sure the current
>system is very efficient.
>
>Let me just add a big ME TOO for all those wonderfull scraps of info that
>have still eluded me--like the 48 internals file, or maybe just the name
>of the directory ata ftp site that has all this stuff
>(logging on to ftp is one thing, finding what you want is another)

I have seen a lot of posts like this lately so I thought it was a good
idea to bring this up again.

All of the information of 28 and 48's from the last two years that I have
collected is avaiable from my mail server.  I believe I have
more files than any of the FTP sites.  I have not checked funet.fi
lately so I don't know.  I am sorry that I cannot also make the
files available by FTP.

I have:
HP28 remote control program
All of the CHIP-48 stuff
the morse code program
the Saturn Processor notes
in all ~3 megs of stuff (mostly compressed)

Best of all since it uses mail, every one can get to it.

Here is the standard file on how to use the server:

How to reach Wayne's Mail Server
--------------------------------
To request files for your HP-48 or HP-28 you can send command my mail
to my mail server.

Mail commands to:  wscott@ecn.purdue.edu
Mail Subject: HP-MAIL-SERVER     <--If you don't the mail will come to me.

The server will mail responses to the Reply-To: header on your mail.  If
not found, the From: field will be used.  If you want to overide this path
put this command in the message:
	path <your address>

To get help:
	send HELP

The HP-48 files are used by default.  To reach the HP-28 files include:
	HP28

To get an index of files:
	send INDEX

If you have any other problems send me mail.  (Same address, different
subject)  I hope you enjoy the server.

Wayne Scott

Wayne Scott             |  INTERNET:   wscott@ecn.purdue.edu
Electrical Engineering  |  BITNET:     wscott%ecn.purdue.edu@purccvm
Purdue University       |  UUCP:      {purdue, pur-ee}!ecn.purdue.edu!wscott

bio_zwbb@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Dr. William B. Busa) (11/02/90)

	Creation of two new newsgroups would go a long way toward cutting
the recent overload in comp.sys.handhelds. I therefore propose the
formation of:

	comp.cables.homemade

	     --and--

	comp.unsubscribe.handhelds

:-)     :-)     :-)     :-)

frechett@boulder.Colorado.EDU (-=Runaway Daemon=-) (11/03/90)

In article <6765@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU> bio_zwbb@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Dr. William B. Busa) writes:

>	Creation of two new newsgroups would go a long way toward cutting
>the recent overload in comp.sys.handhelds. I therefore propose the
>formation of:
>
>	comp.cables.homemade
OH. come on.  This is rediculous.  What is the problem with trying to save a
bit of money?  I think that this topic is as valid as any other here.  There
are a couple other things regarding cables.  And that is, that hp doesn't sell
the the cable with the connectors that I wanted.  You might say, well why don't
you just find the adaptors, BUT guess what cable I just came up with.  I just
made a simple elegant hp48 to hp48 cable.  The whole thing fits in a film can
and it increadible.  9600 baud transfer between hps is great fun, and seeing as
how I am the local hp48sx program outlet, I do ALOT of transfers.  It increases
speed of tranfer by a factor of 4 and increases battery life significantly.
So far I have built 5 cables.  Two I gave away, and they are under heavy use,
and the third is my basic hp48 to modem cable and the fourth is the above
mentioned hp-hp cable. The last one is by far the most interesting.  It has a
dip switch in the middle and a four pin connector just on the other end of the
switch.  The switch allows me to flip pins 2 and 3.  The connector in the
middle will connect to any number of setups.  I can currently plug that wire
into any 25 pin RS232, or 9 pin RS232.  There is also a connection for a 6 wire
phone jack which is what all our local terminals connect to.  This allows my to
log in and kermit stuff from my account at 9600 baud.  ;)  I know all you
people with PCs are very smug but can you get your stuff from c.s.h to your PC
at 9600 baud?
	Now, if you consider all that I am doing what do you think this would
cost?  Isn't the cable without software something like $20?  This would mean
$100 for the 5 basic cables and then another $20 to get another connector
for the one hp-hp cable.  Seeing as how it has cost me a total now of $8 I
think I have a better thing going.

>	     --and--
>
>	comp.unsubscribe.handhelds

Fine.... This one I can agree to.  If this was my mailing list I would run it
through my mail handler and have it strip out these messages.  Would slow the
whole thing down by about a 1/4 of a second.  ;) ;)

>:-)     :-)     :-)     :-)

	ian
--

-=Runaway Daemon=-

jmorriso@ee.ubc.ca (John Paul Morrison) (11/03/90)

To add to the cable debate, I made MY cable for about a total of 10 cents!
Of course this includes labour. And I guess I should admit that the
technicians in
electrical engineering here helped with parts:
"cable? the spool is over there, go on, take a few meters or ten!"
"rs2323c connectors? the box is over there. Help yerself!"