[comp.sys.handhelds] Casio Boss models

scotth@grebyn.com (Scott Hutchinson) (01/19/90)

	After seeing a Casio Boss, I decided to buy one.  However I
can't really tell the difference between the different models. What is
the differenct between the 7000, 7500, 8000, and 9000?  Other then the
price?

garye@microsoft.UUCP (Gary ERICSON) (11/03/90)

I'm tossed between buying a Sharp Wizard (see my other posting), a Casio
BOSS, or an Atari Portfolio.  In thinking through my options, I've been
having trouble keeping all the Casio BOSS models straight, and it
doesn't help that I haven't found one store or mail-order catalog that
carries all the models - they always have some random grouping of model
numbers.

So I've been trying to scope out the differences between the models, and
I'm hoping someone can fill in the holes for me.  Here's what I have so
far (I'm only interested in the 7xxx, 8xxx, 9xxx series):

					  List	Discount
	7000 = 32K RAM			= $---	$---
	7500 = 7000 + 32K RAM		= $250	$170 (Elek-Tek)
	8000 = 7500 + chiclet keyboard	= $260	$190 (Elek-Tek)

	9000 = --K RAM			= $---	$---
	9500 = 9000 + chiclet keyboard	= $---	$280 (Best)

Am I right that the only difference among the 7000/7500/8000 is the memory
and keyboard (I saw that they share the same user's guide)?

What is the difference between the 7000/7500/8000 and the 9000/9500?

Am I right that the only difference between the 9000 and 9500 is the
keyboard?

One more thing: any rumors about Casio obsoleting any of these in favor of
some new models?

Thanks.

Gary Ericson - Microsoft - Work Group Apps

mec@cbnewsj.att.com (michael.e.connick) (11/05/90)

In article <58735@microsoft.UUCP>, garye@microsoft.UUCP (Gary ERICSON) writes:
> I'm tossed between buying a Sharp Wizard (see my other posting), a Casio
> BOSS, or an Atari Portfolio.

Get a Portfolio. The "street price" of the unit has fallen recently and
it's now priced so low that it beats out most of the far less capable
"electronic organizers." J&R Computer World in NYC is now selling the
Portfolio for $239!

I've had my Portfolio for 9 months now and wouldn't trade it for anything
less than a Poquet. ;-)

Michael Connick    mec@mtfmi.ATT.COM   AT&T Bell Labs

silvert@cs.dal.ca (Bill Silvert) (11/06/90)

In article <1990Nov5.144649.6488@cbnewsj.att.com> mec@cbnewsj.att.com (michael.e.connick) writes:
>In article <58735@microsoft.UUCP>, garye@microsoft.UUCP (Gary ERICSON) writes:
>> I'm tossed between buying a Sharp Wizard (see my other posting), a Casio
>> BOSS, or an Atari Portfolio.
>
>Get a Portfolio. The "street price" of the unit has fallen recently and
>it's now priced so low that it beats out most of the far less capable
>"electronic organizers." J&R Computer World in NYC is now selling the
>Portfolio for $239!
>
>I've had my Portfolio for 9 months now and wouldn't trade it for anything
>less than a Poquet. ;-)

I have both a Portfolio and a BOSS SF-7500, and both are useful.  The
Portfolio has lots of features that the BOSS doesn't, but at the cost of
greater size and weight.  I tend to keep the Portfolio in the car and
carry the BOSS in my pocket for easy access to the memo and telephone
features.  If you are a real technoweenie and can afford both, get both!

One area where I rely entirely on the Portfolio is in storing
appointments.  The BOSS has a nice feature of letting you set an alarm
at a different time from an appointment (so you have time to get there),
but the Portfolio has a great repeat system, so that you can enter a
regular appointment and have it repeat every day, week, month, or year.
You can also have it repeat every weekday only!  I've been meaning to
write a calendar program like that for my Unix system.

--
William Silvert, Habitat Ecology Division, Bedford Inst. of Oceanography
P. O. Box 1006, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CANADA B2Y 4A2.  Tel. (902)426-1577