[comp.sys.handhelds] Equation Library Periodic Table error?

edp@jareth.enet.dec.com (Eric Postpischil (Always mount a scratch monkey.)) (11/02/90)

According to the Periodic Table, the mass number of Unnilpentium is 261.
Shouldn't that be 262?

				-- edp

dove@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Ray Rischpater) (11/06/90)

In article <16888@shlump.nac.dec.com> edp@jareth.enet.dec.com (Eric Postpischil (Always mount a scratch monkey.)) writes:
>According to the Periodic Table, the mass number of Unnilpentium is 261.
>Shouldn't that be 262?
>				-- edp

Wow!  You're absolutely right, checking my 68th ed CRC.  Good eyes?
However did you notice >that<?

--
--     dove@ucscg.ucsc.edu  		  Ray Rischpater
--     dove@ucscb.ucsc.edu		  (408) 426-0716

sgothard@hpdmd48.boi.hp.com (Steve Gothard) (11/06/90)

   As I understand it both Unnilpentium(261) and Unnilpentium(262) have been
   synthesized with isotope 261 having a half life of around 1.8s and isotope
   262 having a half life of around 40s.  I suppose most periodic tables
   show 262 since it has the longest half life.  Since I am not a chemist
   this is just my own unqualified opinion.  I am sure someone else could
   give a better explanation.

alexw@miracle.intel.com (Alex Witkowski) (11/07/90)

I believe the atomic weight on the periodic table is a weighted average
of all the various isotopes.  They are weighted by their relative abundance.
I don't know what they do for elements which do not naturally occur.

Alex Witkowski
Intel Corporation     internet: alexw@t12sys.intel.com
Santa Clara, CA 95051 uucp:     ...!{decwrl|hplabs!oliveb}!intelca!t12sys!alexw