[comp.sys.handhelds] Infra-red data for HP28S wanted

andrew@earwax.pd.uwa.oz.au (Andrew Williams) (10/18/90)

Hi- I'm trying to build a receiver for the infra-red printer output on my
HP28S. The data seems to be RS232 protocol, but getting the frequency
right is a bit tricky. I assume thats its a carrier of around 40kHz, with
a couple of signal tones for 1 and 0 around a few hundred Hertz. Does
anyone out there know the exact frequencies, for both carrier and signal?
(I dont have a storage CRO, and its pretty tricky triggering properly
without one). With a bit of luck, I'll be able to make a 'Infra-red to
RS232' converter, and keep up with the 48 owners (at least partially)!
			Andrew Williams,
			Physics Department,
			University of Western Australia.
			(andrew@earwax.uwa.oz.au)

chuck@mitlns.mit.edu (10/19/90)

-Message-Text-Follows-
In article <andrew.656252611@earwax.pd.uwa.oz.au>, andrew@earwax.pd.uwa.oz.au (Andrew Williams) writes...
>Hi- I'm trying to build a receiver for the infra-red printer output on my
>HP28S. The data seems to be RS232 protocol, but getting the frequency
>right is a bit tricky. I assume thats its a carrier of around 40kHz, with
>a couple of signal tones for 1 and 0 around a few hundred Hertz. Does
>anyone out there know the exact frequencies, for both carrier and signal?
>(I dont have a storage CRO, and its pretty tricky triggering properly
>without one). With a bit of luck, I'll be able to make a 'Infra-red to
>RS232' converter, and keep up with the 48 owners (at least partially)!
>			Andrew Williams,
>			Physics Department,
>			University of Western Australia.
>			(andrew@earwax.uwa.oz.au)

   HP has a news letter that they publish, in it several years ago they gave
a complete spec. I did it from a scope and it was damn hard but kind of fun
to crack. It's a great way to get data out of your microprocessor project.
Get the newsletter from HP for the real dope, but if you can't wait I'll
follow with a bit of what I remeber, don't count on it being absolutly
accurate I don't remeber so well after 2 years.

   This is what I remeber.

   Tone 32,768 Khz I'm pretty sure, I remember the striking match
to a power of 2. I assumed it was to match up with the  cheap crystals
they use in watches. since I got it off a scope I only had it to 1% or so

   8 bit ascii data with 4 error correction bits, also a 1 1/2 bit
introduction bit. The correction bits come first. To generate
the error correction bits you need to figure out 4 1 byte numbers. I
did it by printing out the alphabet and figuring it out, HP has it
in there news letter article. Basically each ECC bit is:

   BIT_i = PARITY(CODE_i.AND.ASCII)

  At least thats what I did, I'm sure ther are other ways of calculating
it that look quite different but give the same result.

  The ones and zeros are sent as follows (S=silience T=carrier) tone, what
is important is the is the transition between time slices 2 and 3, does
it go tone to silence or silence to tone?

       1 = SSTS   0 = STSS

  The tone bursts a 7 cycles long I think

						Chuck@mitlns.mit.edu

kenw@col.hp.com (Ken Wyatt) (10/23/90)

This was detailed in the "Hewlett-Packard Journal", August 1987 issue.
Try contacting your local HP sales office and I'm sure they could get
that issue for you.

Ken

akcs.007@hpcvbbs.UUCP (greg sheka) (11/05/90)

 I just wanted you to know that I just completed a IR to RS232 converter
for my HP48. I'm doing it for a senior design project.  It works really
well with mskermit.  I currently have a range of about 8".  I talk to HP
and asked for a the IR format and they sent me a I/O specifications
sheet.

                                  Greg J. Sheka

steve@altos86.Altos.COM (Steve Scherf) (11/06/90)

In article <273510a1-3a1.2comp.sys.handhelds-1@hpcvbbs.UUCP> akcs.007@hpcvbbs.UUCP (greg sheka) writes:

> I just wanted you to know that I just completed a IR to RS232 converter
>for my HP48. I'm doing it for a senior design project.  It works really
>well with mskermit.  I currently have a range of about 8".  I talk to HP
>and asked for a the IR format and they sent me a I/O specifications
>sheet.
>
>                                  Greg J. Sheka

How about posting the info here, or perhaps telling us how you got the info?

Thanks in advance.
--
Steve Scherf
steve@Altos.COM    ...!{sun|sco|pyramid|amdahl|uunet}!altos!steve

These opinions are solely mine, but others may share them if they like.

fred@panther.mbir.bcm.tmc.edu (Fred Ledley) (11/06/90)

How about a post of the schematic?  It would be great to be able to
build an I/R receiver for my Macintosh and stop plugging and unplugging
those cables.   In the past people have converted schematics to
sort of ASCII representation for posting on this board.

Thanks!
R. Mark Adams
Baylor College of Medicine
Department of Cell Biology
fred@mbir.bcm.tmc.edu

winters@Apple.COM (Steve Winters) (11/07/90)

In article <273510a1-3a1.2comp.sys.handhelds-1@hpcvbbs.UUCP> akcs.007@hpcvbbs.UUCP (greg sheka) writes:

> I just wanted you to know that I just completed a IR to RS232 converter
>for my HP48. I'm doing it for a senior design project.  It works really
>well with mskermit.  I currently have a range of about 8".  I talk to HP
>and asked for a the IR format and they sent me a I/O specifications
>sheet.
>
>                                  Greg J. Sheka

Would you be willing to publish the design when you are through? I'm sure
a number of people would be interested.

Steve Winters
winters@apple.com