[comp.sys.handhelds] Does chip-48 function on non-rev A roms?

steve@altos86.Altos.COM (Steve Scherf) (11/08/90)

I just recently got chip-48 from wscott@ecn.purdue.edu, and the readme claims
that it only functions on a rev A rom. In fact, it claims to not only crash
and burn, but trash the memory of the 48 if you try it on any other rom
version. Not desiring to go through the exercise of reloading all my programs
after trying to verify this, I have decided to believe the message.

So, does anyone have a version of chip-48 that will run on a rev D rom, or
preferably, any rev? If so, could you mail me a copy?

Thanks in advance,
Steve

--
Steve Scherf
steve@Altos.COM    ...!{sun|sco|pyramid|amdahl|uunet}!altos!steve

These opinions are solely mine, but others may share them if they like.

bgribble@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Bill Gribble) (11/08/90)

In article <4361@altos86.Altos.COM> steve@altos.com (Steve Scherf) writes:
>I just recently got chip-48 from wscott@ecn.purdue.edu, and the readme claims
>that it only functions on a rev A rom. In fact, it claims to not only crash
>and burn, but trash the memory of the 48 if you try it on any other rom
>version. Not desiring to go through the exercise of reloading all my programs
>after trying to verify this, I have decided to believe the message.
>
>So, does anyone have a version of chip-48 that will run on a rev D rom, or
>preferably, any rev? If so, could you mail me a copy?

I run chip48 fine on a rev D rom.  The author wrote it on a rev A (I assume)
  and so, wisely, advised people against trying to run it on anything else
  despite the fact that it would be more than likely to run without a hitch.

I think it's been determined that the 'HPHP48-A' in the binary file doesn't
  mean the file will just run on a rev. A.

>Steve

**   Bill Gribble                     Harvey Mudd College, Claremont, CA   **
**   bgribble@jarthur.claremont.edu   Never heard of it?  You're stupid.   **