[comp.sys.handhelds] Assembler for Chip8 source

ferris@tcville.HAC.COM (11/07/90)

Having seen the Chip8 programs out on the net so far, I am interested
in trying my hand at writing and posting some of my own.  However,
after touring the various HP48 ftp sites, I have come up blank on info
regarding an assembler for Chip8 source code, although the macro files
that came out a while ago imply a program named M80 (L80?), which
doesn't sound familiar.

So, where might I find such a program?  I need something that will
run either on a Unix machine (Sun) or a Mac.

Thanks for any info,

Mark Ferris                         smart:    ferris@tcville.edsg.hac.com
Image and Signal Processing Lab     dumb:     ferris%tcville@hac2arpa.hac.com
Hughes Aircraft Co., EDSG           uucp:     hacgate!tcville!ferris

bgribble@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Bill Gribble) (11/07/90)

In article <11632@hacgate.UUCP> ferris@tcville.HAC.COM () writes:

>Having seen the Chip8 programs out on the net so far, I am interested
>in trying my hand at writing and posting some of my own.  However,
>after touring the various HP48 ftp sites, I have come up blank on info
>regarding an assembler for Chip8 source code, although the macro files
>that came out a while ago imply a program named M80 (L80?), which
>doesn't sound familiar.
>
>So, where might I find such a program?  I need something that will
>run either on a Unix machine (Sun) or a Mac.
>
>Thanks for any info,

After two of these inquiries in two days, I think chip48 qualifies as a
  FAQ topic.

Chip48 is an hp48 machine-language program written be Andreas Gustafson
  (forgive spelling errors).  It is an interpreter for chip8, a game
  language used on small systems in the 1970's.  To run posted chip8
  games (syzygy, etc.) you need both the game and chip48 on your 48.
  The game by itself is a nonsense string, and there is no way to
  'compile' it to an executable.  Although I missed the macro postings,
  I understand that they take the chip8 mnemonics and create the
  (still non-executable) string object that is the game.

Any volunteers to write a FAQ posting (or do I remember seeing one no too
  long ago?)

>Mark Ferris

**   Bill Gribble                     Harvey Mudd College, Claremont, CA   **
**   bgribble@jarthur.claremont.edu   Never heard of it?  You're stupid.   **

slsw2@cc.usu.edu (11/08/90)

In article <11632@hacgate.UUCP>, ferris@tcville.HAC.COM writes:
> Having seen the Chip8 programs out on the net so far, I am interested
> in trying my hand at writing and posting some of my own.  However,
> after touring the various HP48 ftp sites, I have come up blank on info
> regarding an assembler for Chip8 source code, although the macro files
> that came out a while ago imply a program named M80 (L80?), which
> doesn't sound familiar.

M80 and L80 are Microsoft's old CP/M assembler and linker. Since I do most
of my work with CP/M (my favorite), I wrote my macro package for M80 and
L80.
Roger Ivie

35 S 300 W
Logan, Ut.  84321
(801) 752-8633

davisp@skybridge.SCL.CWRU.Edu (Palmer Davis) (11/08/90)

In article <11632@hacgate.UUCP> ferris@tcville.HAC.COM () writes:

>...after touring the various HP48 ftp sites, I have come up blank on info
>regarding an assembler for Chip8 source code, although the macro files
>that came out a while ago imply a program named M80 (L80?), which
>doesn't sound familiar.
>
>So, where might I find such a program?  I need something that will
>run either on a Unix machine (Sun) or a Mac.

I'm currently working on one; it'll be about two weeks before I have enough
free time to finish it and get a serial cable so I can test it.  I'll post
it here when I'm finished.

-- PTD --
--
Palmer T. Davis                 |  davisp@scl.cwru.edu  -OR-  ptd2@po.cwru.edu
Case Western Reserve University | {att,sun,decvax,uunet}!cwjcc!skybridge!davisp