[comp.sys.handhelds] 48sx OFF/Identifier program

whelan@donald.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (The Obscure Guru) (10/31/90)

	Ok, due to popular demand here is the trivial program that
I use to dump my name/address/etc information onto my 48sx display
whenever I manually power it down.  I call the program MINE and keep
it in the HOME directory.  To link it to the OFF key, you need to keep
the calculator in USER mode (do gold-usr twice) and redefine the
blue-off keypress to run the MINE program. (Do { MINE 91.3 } STOK).

<< CLLCD
" My Name
 and phone number
 and other junk "
1 DISP 7 FREEZE OFF

	For those who want the 28s version of this program, I'll
get around to it as soon as I get my 28s back from the guy I lent
it out to.  The program is simpler but uses a SYSEVAL to turn the
calculator off.  If you want to figure it out yourself, there is
a comprehensive list of 28s SYSEVALs on plains.nodak.edu, just grep
the files for "OFF".  Note that the 28s version does not link to
the OFF key as you really can't reprogram the keys on the 28s.
whelan@  (uhunix.uhcc.hawaii.edu || uhccux.BITNET || nextsrv.wslab.hawaii.edu)

bill@videovax.tv.tek.com (William K. McFadden) (11/02/90)

In article <10085@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu> whelan@donald.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (The Obscure Guru) writes:
><< CLLCD
>" My Name
> and phone number
> and other junk "
>1 DISP 7 FREEZE OFF

I have a couple of ideas about this program.

First, if you put the program in the key assignment rather than your HOME
directory, it will be harder for an unauthorized user to delete.  You have to
use DELKEYS, which is more obscure than PURGE.

example: << insert-display-program-here >> 91.3 ASN

Second, the program won't work if the calculator is left on and automatically
shuts itself off (likely to happen to an unknowledgeable person) or if USER
mode is deactivated.  Here is a workaround:  Create a control alarm that
contains another copy of the program, and set it to repeat every day at 4 AM.
This guarantees the message will be seen, regardless of USER mode or
auto-shutoff.

example: { 11.021990 4 << insert-display-program-here >> 707788800 } STOALARM
           ^^^^^^^^^
           Tomorrow's date
--
Bill McFadden    Tektronix, Inc.  P.O. Box 500  MS 58-639  Beaverton, OR  97077
bill@videovax.tv.tek.com,     {hplabs,uw-beaver,decvax}!tektronix!videovax!bill

psw@richard.mitre.org (Phillip Wherry) (11/10/90)

In article <10085@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu> whelan@donald.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (The Obscure Guru) writes:

>	Ok, due to popular demand here is the trivial program that
>I use to dump my name/address/etc information onto my 48sx display
>whenever I manually power it down. . .
>
><< CLLCD
>" My Name
> and phone number
> and other junk "
>1 DISP 7 FREEZE OFF

I too have a similar program on my HP48SX.  I've stuck it into a program
called OWNER in my top-level director.  I then have a user alarm scheduled
which executes the following <<DROP OWNER OFF>>.  The DROP simply removes
the alarm number from the stack when it goes off; OWNER then gets executed
and the calculator is turned off.  I've got this scheduled to happen at
4:30am every day.  In this way, my name and address is displayed on the
calculator automatically, and I don't have to worry about whether or not
I'm in user mode; the first time the calculator is turned on in a given day,
my name and address appears.

Phil
--
Phillip Wherry