[comp.sys.handhelds] Deleting a directory?

fseipel@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Frank E. Seipel) (11/16/90)

 I have downloaded many files from the net to my HP48 since I purchased my
Mac cable. Often I don't want to keep these programs, since I only have
32K in my HP. However, I am unable to delete an entire directory when I wish
to eliminate these programs. This is very annoying, as many of these
programs contain dozens of objects which must be individually deleted. Am
I missing something? What command is used to do this, and, if there isn't
one, it would be nice if somebody could write a program to do it (one to take
an object, the name of a directory, from the stack, and delete any objects
(incl. other directories) under it.
 P.S. Let's have that ml tetris NOW!

edp@jareth.enet.dec.com (Eric Postpischil (Always mount a scratch monkey.)) (11/17/90)

In article <1990Nov16.134421.23733@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu>,
fseipel@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Frank E. Seipel) writes:

> This is very annoying, as many of these programs contain
> dozens of objects which must be individually deleted. Am I
> missing something?

On page 123 of your Owner's Manual:

   A non-empty directory can be purged by putting its name on
   the stack and executing PGDIR (left-shift, MEMORY, NXT, NXT,
   PGDIR).

This can be found in the index under "directories", subheading "purging".

				-- edp

newsuser@efd.lth.se (News server connection) (11/17/90)

In article <1990Nov16.134421.23733@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu>, fseipel@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Frank E. Seipel) writes:

> I have downloaded many files from the net to my HP48 since I purchased my
>Mac cable. Often I don't want to keep these programs, since I only have
>32K in my HP. However, I am unable to delete an entire directory when I wish
>to eliminate these programs. This is very annoying, as many of these
>programs contain dozens of objects which must be individually deleted. Am
>I missing something?

Yes, you are.
The last program in the memory-menu is exactly what you're looking for.
Read the manual to learn how to use it.

Fredrik Norrman
hptool@rigel.efd.lth.se

akcs.ciarn@hpcvbbs.UUCP (Dan Ciarniello) (11/18/90)

PURGE will delete an empty directory.
PGDIR will purge any directory, empty or not.
Dan.