[comp.sys.handhelds] HP BBS

jmorriso@snickers.ee.ubc.ca (John Paul Morrison) (11/16/90)

Has anyone managed to transfer files from the HP BBS by Telnet?
There are programs there I haven't seen anywhere else. Last I checked,
they were not available by ftp.

any help would be appreciated.

jp

frechett@boulder.Colorado.EDU (-=Runaway Daemon=-) (11/16/90)

In article <1443@fs1.ee.ubc.ca> jmorriso@snickers.ee.ubc.ca (John Paul Morrison) writes:
>Has anyone managed to transfer files from the HP BBS by Telnet?
>There are programs there I haven't seen anywhere else. Last I checked,
>they were not available by ftp.
>
>any help would be appreciated.
>
>jp

I have managed to get just about anything I need from the hpbbs through telnet
via two methods..
If it is a binary file then I have been using kermit and plugging my hp into
the modem.  I put the hp in server mode and then unplug the terminal cable from
the modem and plug the hp in.  I will know when it is done because there just
isn't any more coming in.. There is no way to run kermit from the UNIX to hpbbs
so don't even bother.. If you don't have a modem then you might try plugging
your hp into whatever your terminal or PC is connected to and logging into the
hpbbs with the hp.  I have done that too and is not so bad..
This same method can be used with ascii mode but I much preffer to dump to the
UNIX so I use a log file.. IF you are on a PC then set log on or even ACSII
file transfer mode on and then dump the file at the hpbbs end with ASCII
transfer.
I use an increadible program on the UNIX called screen that lets me do windows
and such and the newest version I have will let me open a log file..
I just open the log file right before I dump it at the hpbbs end and at that
moment I also go to anther window which keeps me from having to watch it dump
several K of text.  I pop back in a second or and turn the log file off.
This method will not send binary files correctly.

If there is no way that you can hook up your hp directly then you can bug the
sysop of the board and he will put a given file in the anon ftp section of the
bbs.  I hope some of this helps and if anyone wants the latest version of
screen that I have then it can be found on boulder.colorado.edu in the tmp
directory and spot.colorado.edu in the flc directory.  I have found that there
are some quirks in the bbs.. When I try to login from to the bbs from my login
shell I get an escape char that locks up my terminal very badly.. (I have to
turn it off to reset).  I found that connecting from inside screen this will
never happen..

OH and I should have mentioned that you can use the "script" command in UNIX
and just log the whole session..   Ah well have fun..

	ian
--
-=Runaway Daemon=-

gdb43989@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Gregory David Brown) (11/16/90)

jmorriso@snickers.ee.ubc.ca (John Paul Morrison) writes:

>Has anyone managed to transfer files from the HP BBS by Telnet?
>There are programs there I haven't seen anywhere else. Last I checked,
>they were not available by ftp.

>any help would be appreciated.

If the program is uploaded in ascii, and you can capture the text,
just download it using ascii, let it plot to the screen, and save the
captured text in a file.  After editing the file, you can upload it
to your HP.

rrd@hpfcso.HP.COM (Ray Depew) (11/16/90)

Hi jp,

Here's a blurb I cut out of comp.sys.handhelds on telnet/ftp access to the
HP BBS:

> The Hewlett-Packard Calculator Bulletin Board is now available on the
> Internet.  It can be reached with telnet at hpcvbbs.cv.hp.com
> (15.224.72.16) or ftp-anonymous.  When using telnet, new users must
> enter lower-case "new" at the initial login prompt. Registered users
> must enter lower-case "akcs".

> Ftp-anonymous users can find HP48SX programs in the ftp-anonymous 'pub'
> directory.  The file README contains a short description about each
> program available.

***  WARNING:  ***
MAKE SURE YOU USE BINARY ON BINARY FILES!  A lot of reported bugs, etc. were
because people were doing file transfers with the receiver set to ASCII.

Have fun.

Regards
Ray Depew
HP -- IC's by Bill & Dave
rrd@hpfitst1.hp.com
Disclaimer:  I don't make calculators.  I just use them.

JMFITZGE@SBCCVM.BITNET (John Fitzgerald) (11/17/90)

  Ian,

       Could you please post the Net adresses of the HPBBS?

                                      Thanks,
                                          John Fitzgerald

frechett@boulder.Colorado.EDU (-=Runaway Daemon=-) (11/18/90)

In article <020B112ED2BF0001C7@gacvx2.gac.edu> JMFITZGE@SBCCVM.BITNET (John Fitzgerald) writes:

>  Ian,
>
>       Could you please post the Net adresses of the HPBBS?
>
>                                      Thanks,
>                                          John Fitzgerald

Server:  snoopy.Colorado.EDU
Address:  128.138.238.103

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    hpcvbbs.cv.hp.com
Address:  15.255.72.16

That should do it..
Now I am off to try and fit the next version of tetris into my hp.. Not
an easy task to be sure.

	ian