[comp.sys.handhelds] 48SX/Mac GROBer bug?

rsholmes@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Rich Holmes) (11/02/90)

I have the Mac interface and am having some trouble with the GROBer
software. I've converted some Mac pictures to GROBs without
difficulty.  However, recently I tried a picture (a section of a
scanned photo, about 131 x 64 pixels) and found that GROBer was
corrupting it; the rightmost 15-20% of the picture was garbage:

              PICT                                 GROB
---------------------------------   ---------------------------------
|                               |   |                          |    |
|                               |   |                          | Ga |
|<------- Good Picture -------->|-->|<----- Good Picture ----->| rb |
|                               |   |                          | ag |
|                               |   |                          | e  |
---------------------------------   ---------------------------------

I observed this after downloading to the HP48SX but by reading back
the GROB file on the Mac into GROBer I verified that the GROB was
corrupt on the Mac. That is, this corruption had nothing to do with
any problems with downloading; it was the Mac GROB file itself that
was incorrect.  Same happened whether I used ASCII or binary format
for the GROB.

Another picture was corrupted on the bottom:

             PICT                                 GROB
---------------------------------   ---------------------------------
|              ^                |   |               ^               |
|              |                |   |          Good Picture         |
|         Good Picture          |-->|               V               |
|              |                |   |-------------------------------|
|              V                |   |             Garbage           |
---------------------------------   ---------------------------------

This seems to occur at the same place relative to the content of each
picture, regardless of the size of the picture: e.g. if I select and
convert only the bottom half of the second picture, it gets corrupted
close to the top.  So it appears to be the local content of the
picture, not its size or complexity, that is triggering the problem.

This is on a Mac SE running System 6.0.2.  I could upload a PICT
document showing exactly what is happening if that would help.

--
 - Rich Holmes                                  rich@suhep.bitnet
   Syracuse U. Physics Dept.                    rich@suhep.phy.syr.edu

JMEYERS@MTUS5.BITNET (11/04/90)

I also noticed that when I transfered a picture of a graph from the HP-48SX
to a Mac and then ran it through the GROBer, parts of the graph were shifted
latterally:

               Before                                  After
------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------
|                |                  | |                     |               |
|                |     * *          | |                     |     * *       |
|                |   *     *        | |                     |   *     *     |
|                | *         *      | |                     | *         *   |
|*               |*            *    | | *               |*             *    |
|--*-------------*---------------*--| |---*-------------*----------------*- |
|   *           *|                 *| |    *           *|                  *|
|     *        * |                  | |  *        * |                       |
|       *     *  |                  | |    *     *  |                       |
|         * *    |                  | |      * *    |                       |
------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------

Sincerely,
Jason P. Meyers
JMEYERS@MTUS5.BITNET

rsholmes@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Rich Holmes) (11/07/90)

In article <1990Nov1.234036.1041@rodan.acs.syr.edu> rsholmes@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Rich Holmes) writes:
>I have the Mac interface and am having some trouble with the GROBer
>software...

I developed a vague memory of age-old bug reports that indicate not all Mac
programs put 100% correct stuff into the clipboard when you cut an image.
So...

Using the application I used before (Ultrapaint), I first verified the bug
I reported previously.  Then I pasted the image into a Canvas document.  I
cut it from there and tried running that through GROBer.  It worked.

Conclusion: Canvas and Ultrapaint store image information to the clipboard
differently.  The image appears correct in the clipboard window in GROBer,
but the Ultrapaint image results in a garbled GROB; the Canvas one does not.
Hard to say whether the bug is in Ultrapaint or GROBer, though note that the
image IS imported correctly by Canvas.

This is all the weirder considering Deneba publishes both Canvas and
Ultrapaint.

--
 - Rich Holmes                                  rich@suhep.bitnet
   Syracuse U. Physics Dept.                    rich@suhep.phy.syr.edu
                                or if you must: rsholmes@rodan.acs.syr.edu

charliep@hpcvra.cv.hp.com.CV.HP.COM (Charles Patton) (11/22/90)

Having used UltraPaint, GROBer, a video scanner, NCSA ImageIP, and other
Mac image processing tools together on the Mac and in conjunction
with the '48 and having observed the corrupt picture phenomena ONLY
in clipboard transfers to and from UltraPaint and independent of GROBer,
I can say with some certainty that the problem is with UP. I have taken
to working in UP and then saving the result in TIFF format and opening
the result with other utilities before passing it to GROBer.
** charliep@cv.hp.com     (For Internet hosts)       **