[comp.sys.handhelds] Atari Portfolio

kevin@msa3b.UUCP (Kevin P. Kleinfelter) (02/28/90)

Has anyone seen a real, "production-line" Atari Portfolio computer?
How can I get one? Noone in town has any.  Who is mailordering them?
What are the details on this computer?  It looks slick!
--
Kevin Kleinfelter @ Management Science America, Inc (404) 239-2347
gatech!nanovx!msa3b!kevin

zweig@brutus.cs.uiuc.edu (Johnny Zweig) (03/07/90)

I saw two people using them last week at a meeting.  Nice MS-DOS com-
patibility on a dinky screen with a dinky keyboard.  No evidence of
graphics.  Basically, it pales by comparison with the Poquet, but
is so much cheaper that maybe it's hip.

I thought the keyboard should be 10% bigger -- it's just a weensy
bit too chicklety for me taste (or, rather, tastatur).

-Johnny Bitsy

mec@cbnewsj.ATT.COM (michael.e.connick) (03/07/90)

In article <1259@msa3b.UUCP> kevin@msa3b.UUCP (Kevin P. Kleinfelter) writes:
> Has anyone seen a real, "production-line" Atari Portfolio computer?
> How can I get one? Noone in town has any.  Who is mailordering them?
> What are the details on this computer?  It looks slick!

Yes, I've owned one for quite a few months now. You can buy them from
an Atari dealer, or mail order from one of the big NYC discount
computer outfits. Try calling directory assistance and asking for the
phone numbers of 47th Street Computer or J & R Music World in area code
212. You can even buy the Portfolio mail order directly from Atari and
get a money back guarantee from them.

I've found the Portfolio to be a terrific buy. It's replaced both my
DayTimer and my log book, and acts as a handheld terminal to boot. I've
even started writing some custom applications for it. BTW, if you're
interested in doing software for the Portfolio, contact Atari's
developer support. They have a VERY cheap package deal for prospective
developers.

Michael Connick    mec@mtfmi.ATT.COM    201-957-3057
AT&T Bell Labs     MT 3F-113	        (Dept. 79151)

bannon@andromeda.rutgers.edu.rutgers.edu (Ron Bannon) (03/08/90)

Brothers
East 45th Street & Lexington Avenue
New York, NY
800-847-4039
Atari Portfolio:  $349

J&R Music World
59-50 Queens-Midtown Expressway
Maspeth, NY 11378-9896
Order:
800-221-8180
Other:
800-426-6027
Atari Portfolio:  $329

Ron Bannon
bannon@andromeda.rutgers.edu
bannon@math.rutgers.edu

Ron Bannon
bannon@andromeda.rutgers.edu
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Is George Bush a traitor? Read "October Surprise" by Honegger. Send for details.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

In article  mec@cbnewsj.ATT.COM (michael.e.connick,mt,) writes:
>Yes, I've owned one for quite a few months now. You can buy them from
>an Atari dealer, or mail order from one of the big NYC discount
>computer outfits. Try calling directory assistance and asking for the
>phone numbers of 47th Street Computer or J & R Music World in area code
>212. You can even buy the Portfolio mail order directly from Atari and
>get a money back guarantee from them.
>
>I've found the Portfolio to be a terrific buy. It's replaced both my
>DayTimer and my log book, and acts as a handheld terminal to boot. I've
>even started writing some custom applications for it. BTW, if you're
>interested in doing software for the Portfolio, contact Atari's
>developer support. They have a VERY cheap package deal for prospective
>developers.

>Michael Connick    mec@mtfmi.ATT.COM    201-957-3057
>AT&T Bell Labs     MT 3F-113	        (Dept. 79151)

47th Street Computer
116 Nassau Street
115 West 45th Street
67 West 47th Street
800-221-7774

J&R Music World
59-50 Queens-Midtown Expressway
Maspeth, NY 11378-9896
Order:
800-221-8180
Other:
800-426-6027
Price: $329 plus shipping.

Ron Bannon
bannon@andromeda.rutgers.edu
bannon@math.rutgers.edu

Ron Bannon
bannon@andromeda.rutgers.edu
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Is George Bush a traitor? Read "October Surprise" by Honegger. Send for details.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

james_jim_woomer@cup.portal.com (04/10/90)

Is anyone doing useful work with the Portfolio.
Care to elaborate.
How do you transfer the data to an AT/ST ?
Thanks for any information.

Jim Woomer

mec@cbnewsj.ATT.COM (michael.e.connick) (04/11/90)

In article <28744@cup.portal.com> james_jim_woomer@cup.portal.com writes:
> Is anyone doing useful work with the Portfolio.
> Care to elaborate.
> How do you transfer the data to an AT/ST ?
> Thanks for any information.

Yes, I carry my Portfolio with me everywhere. It's replaced my log book
and DayTimer. I also use it as a "palmtop" terminal when I'm
travelling. I've got a bunch of MS-DOS software running on it,
including Tiny Basic and some Microsoft C programs I wrote for it.

You should be able to transfer information to and from an ST the same
way I transfer data to and from my Mac. Just use the Serial Interface,
along with the Atari terminal program. The program is a real jewel:
only 3K in size yet it supports XMODEM and even simple macros.

abl@dart.ece.cmu.edu (Antonio Leal) (11/06/90)

In article <1990Nov5.144649.6488@cbnewsj.att.com> mec@cbnewsj.att.com (michael.e.connick) writes:
> Get a Portfolio. The "street price" of the unit has fallen recently and
> it's now priced so low that it beats out most of the far less capable
> "electronic organizers." J&R Computer World in NYC is now selling the
> Portfolio for $239!

(I didn't ask the original question but, like many, I'm also wavering...)

Thanks for the tip. This is starting to look affordable. Would you,
or anyone else, care to shed light on two questions ?

1 - What's the deal with linking the Portfolio with a Mac (or a PC) ?
   An ad I've seen asks $190 (ouch!) for cables and software (Mac or PC).
   (They also asked $350 for the machine, and $150 for a Micro Modem 2400b)

2 - I digged a bit around the net (newsgroups, archives), and didn't
   find anything for/about the Portfolio.  Is the $190 package mentioned
   above so good that nobody bothered rolling their own cables and
   bit of software ? Or would standard cables and MacKermit do ?

Any Portfolio-owner stories would be much appreciated.
--
Antonio B. Leal			Dept. of Electrical and Computer Engineering
Bell: [412] 268-2937		Carnegie Mellon University

slsw2@cc.usu.edu (11/08/90)

In article <ABL.90Nov5123041@dart.ece.cmu.edu>, abl@dart.ece.cmu.edu (Antonio Leal) writes:
> 1 - What's the deal with linking the Portfolio with a Mac (or a PC) ?
>    An ad I've seen asks $190 (ouch!) for cables and software (Mac or PC).
>    (They also asked $350 for the machine, and $150 for a Micro Modem 2400b)

The Portfolio links to a PC through the parallel port, so you need the
parallel port for the portfolio and an IBoringM compatible. There is software
available that uses the serial port, but gettting it there in the first
place is a bit rough.

The parallel ports and serial ports are add-on products that cost money.

> 2 - I digged a bit around the net (newsgroups, archives), and didn't
>    find anything for/about the Portfolio.  Is the $190 package mentioned
>    above so good that nobody bothered rolling their own cables and
>    bit of software ? Or would standard cables and MacKermit do ?

The only problem with the Portfolio is that it is not *hardware* compatible
with an IBM PC. Since people tend to use the hardware rather than the BIOS
on the PC, there's a lot of stuff that doesn't work.
Roger Ivie

35 S 300 W
Logan, Ut.  84321
(801) 752-8633

mec@cbnewsj.att.com (michael.e.connick) (11/08/90)

In article <ABL.90Nov5123041@dart.ece.cmu.edu>, abl@dart.ece.cmu.edu (Antonio Leal) writes:
> 1 - What's the deal with linking the Portfolio with a Mac (or a PC) ?
>    An ad I've seen asks $190 (ouch!) for cables and software (Mac or PC).
>    (They also asked $350 for the machine, and $150 for a Micro Modem 2400b)

If you want to interface to a PC, just get the Portfolio Parallel
Interface Unit. The Portfolio comes with in-ROM software for supporting
file transfers with this unit. The unit itself includes 5-1/4 and 3-1/2
inch diskettes with software for the PC. The Parallel Interface Unit is
sometimes thrown in for free when you buy the Portfolio. If you have to
buy it separately I think the cost will be about $50, but I may be
wrong on the price.

Interfacing to a Mac will require the Serial Interface Unit. Don't
spend money on a terminal program for the Portfolio. Atari has made
available a free terminal program that's as good as any of the
commercial Portfolio programs I've seen. You can get it from many Atari
dealers or download it from the Atari BBS. A terminal program is
required to use the Serial Interface. There's no in-ROM support for it.

Michael Connick    mec@mtfmi.ATT.COM   AT&T Bell Labs

bdahlen@zephyr.cair.du.edu (Robert L. Dahlen - U. of Denver USA=) (11/08/90)

I have a Portfolio, which I use infrequently but when I want it, it is just
perfect.  The keyboard is small, but usable and is a qwerty layout.  Those
other units with a ABCDE keyboard are nearly useless to me.  I typically
take it on the road with me or leave it in the car.  This allows me to
jot notes and memos and run the spreadsheet.  Before I leave on a trip I
download files I am using on my deskbound PC to the Portfolio (usually
word perfect or lotus 123 files) and later I am able to add, delete, etc.
When I get back, I upload.  I wouldn't want to use it all the time, but I
just got tired of carrying a laptop even if its only 7 pounds, (there's
the damn batteries, charger, etc., etc., etc.) all over the world.  I wish
the speaker was louder, my only real complaint.  Batteries are available
anywhere, it has all of the tools I need and more.  You can use a off-the-
shelf pascal, c, basic, etc. compiler and write your own programs and it
will run well behaved dos programs.  Try that with these other units!  I
only wish someone would write a "tetris" game for it like they did for
these HP calcs. :-)

Bob
Robert L. Dahlen - Director, Information Systems & Technology
University of Denver - Denver, Colorado 80208 (303) 871-4385
INET:bdahlen@du.edu BITNET:bdahlen@ducair UUCP:ncar!dunike!bdahlen

randy@zeppelin.gsfc.nasa.gov (Randy Barth) (11/09/90)

There is a "tetris" clone for the Portfolio called PORTRIS.  It is available
on Compuserve.  I'm a lot more familiar with Compuserve than I am with
Usenet, or I'd include it here.

	-Randy Barth, STX, Washington, DC

stan@hprpcd.HP.COM (Stan Witherspoon) (11/09/90)

The cheapest way I know of to get info back and forth from a PC to a
Portfolio is to get the parallel port. It lists for $59 (shop around)
and includes software for the PC (the software for the Portfolio is in
ROM. It is not very fast (~ 300 baud) but then you don't have that much
memory anyway. It does NOT come with a cable. Go down to RADIO SHACK and
get a couple of feet of 25 conductor ribbon cable and two DB 25
connectors (make sure you get the right sexes! I think 2 Males will
work, but check the back of your PC). Get the kind that are designed for
use with ribbon cable (Insulation Displacement Connectors or IDC) if you
are not fond of soldering. This should set you back ~$7. Put the ribbon
cable in the slot in the connector and press the connector closed with a
vise. put the other end in the other connector making sure that the
connectors are on the same side of the cable and the "D" shape is facing
the same way on both connectors. Mash the connector closed.

Now go read the instruction manual, hook up your PC and the Portfolio
and go to it!

Stan

~  Stan Witherspoon            ~      Disclaimer      ~
~  Systems Technology Division ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~  Hewlett Packard Company     ~ These are my         ~
~  8010 Foothills Blvd.        ~ personal opinions    ~
~  Roseville Ca. 95678         ~ and do not represent ~
~  Phone: (916) 785-5071       ~ the views of anyone  ~
~  RF: N6SCE                   ~ or anything else     ~
~  Email: ucbvax!hplabs!hprpcd!stan                   ~

stan@hprpcd.HP.COM (Stan Witherspoon) (11/09/90)

Opps!
On my previous instructions, if the connectors are the same gender, they
should have the "D" face the same way. If the connectors are of opposite
genders, make the "D" face the opposite way from the first connector.

Stan

mec@cbnewsj.att.com (michael.e.connick) (11/09/90)

In article <1990Nov8.010106.3299@mercury.cair.du.edu>, bdahlen@zephyr.cair.du.edu (Robert L. Dahlen - U. of Denver USA=) writes:
> I only wish someone would write a "tetris" game for it like they did for
> these HP calcs. :-)

There is a version of Tetris available for the Portfolio. I've spent an
inordinate amount of time playing it on my machine! It's a PD program
called Portris and it's available on the Atari BBS and Compuserve Atari
Portfolio SIG.

Michael Connick    mec@mtfmi.ATT.COM   AT&T Bell Labs

swood@vela.acs.oakland.edu ( EVENSONG) (11/10/90)

In article <1990Nov7.111204.41988@cc.usu.edu> slsw2@cc.usu.edu writes:

>The only problem with the Portfolio is that it is not *hardware* compatible
>with an IBM PC. Since people tend to use the hardware rather than the BIOS
>on the PC, there's a lot of stuff that doesn't work.

There is a lot of effort coming out of atari to try to gain support, and
development of software for the portfolio.  Anyone interested in obtaining
info as to the developers program, can call atari and get the package.  I
do not have the number in front of me, but the contact person is Gail
Johnson.

swood

--
 ---- Insert favorite .signature here ----	| swood@argo.acs.oakland.edu
						| swood@vela.acs.oakland.edu
Bitnet:		swood@Oakland			| swood@unix.secs.oakland.edu
  UUCP:		...!uunet!umich!{vela, argo, unix, nucleus}!swood

bdahlen@zephyr.cair.du.edu (Robert L. Dahlen - U. of Denver USA=) (11/11/90)

>In article <1990Nov7.111204.41988@cc.usu.edu> slsw2@cc.usu.edu writes:
>>
>>The only problem with the Portfolio is that it is not *hardware* compatible
>>with an IBM PC. Since people tend to use the hardware rather than the BIOS
>>on the PC, there's a lot of stuff that doesn't work.

There's a good article comparing the Portfolio, Boss, Sharp, and Poqet
computers in PC Week Nov. 5, 1990.

Also there is a TON of really great software written for the Portfolio
on Compuserve, its all written with standard MS-DOS compilers, in fact
I even saw a Turbo Pascal Library for the Portfolio.  There are two
Tetris like games, one pretty good and one great!  Plus just a lot of
other software, this thing is really taking off!  Some fun...

slsw2@cc.usu.edu (11/12/90)

In article <3774@vela.acs.oakland.edu>, swood@vela.acs.oakland.edu ( EVENSONG) writes:
> There is a lot of effort coming out of atari to try to gain support, and
> development of software for the portfolio.  Anyone interested in obtaining
> info as to the developers program, can call atari and get the package.  I
> do not have the number in front of me, but the contact person is Gail
> Johnson.

I tried this quite a while ago and was informed that I had to be an
"established vendor" of PC software to get the package. Rebuttals? New
info? A phone number for Gail Johnson?
Roger Ivie

35 S 300 W
Logan, Ut.  84321
(801) 752-8633

abl@tempo.ece.cmu.edu (Antonio Leal) (11/17/90)

Last week I asked for some Atari Portfolio info, especially
with respect to Mac/PC interfacing.  Besides the postings
that showed up here, I got mail from three people. I can't
quote them directly (I had a fit of sleepy incompetence, best
left unmentioned), but the conclusions are:

1- For PC connections, it's best to go with the parallel interface
  option (on special offer in some ads).
2- The Portfolio is also a good notebook for a Mac. There's a comm
  program (in hqx form) floating around.
3- There's a free terminal program, available from an Atari BBS,
  as good as the commercial stuff.
4- I've yet to hear from disappointed users.  Every owner seems to
  like it, within its limitations, for the sheer portability.

I called up J&R Music/Electronics/whatever World (1-800-221-8180).
They're selling the Portfolio for $250 and the serial option for $50.

I also called up Atari (1-800-443-8020).  They advertise the Portfolio for
$400, with a "$129 bonus" thrown in (32K mem card + smart par. interface).
I asked them for product literature, especially on the options, but all
they sent me was a glossy flyer.  It does show a picture of a Portfolio
with an expander (about a third of the 'folio size) attached on the right
side. They also mention (future ?) availability of card drives for
other machines, so that you can take the Portfolio's mem. cards and
read them from a PC.

I'm giving it a pause, while the news from the current Comdex break.
And, looking at the pictures of LCD screens, I realized I still hate
the font they use on PCs.  It's not that they are monospaced (I like
monospaced text), but the characters are just plumb ugly and hard to
read.  Spoiled by VT-100s, I guess ;-)

--
Antonio B. Leal			Dept. of Electrical and Computer Engineering
Bell: [412] 268-2937		Carnegie Mellon University
Net: abl@ece.cmu.edu		Pittsburgh, PA. 15213   U.S.A.

wilhelm@elements.rpal.com (Robert Wilhelm) (11/17/90)

I seriously considered buying a Portfolio but changed my mind after a
1 hour try at typing with the keypad. I found it very difficult to type
with more than two or three fingers because of the size and spacing of
the keys.  Also, the feel of the keys and the reponse after a finger
hit is very different from the other keyboard devices I use.

If you are thinking about typing info into the Portfolio, you might
want to try one out for some time before making a buy. My experiment
resulted in amazing cramps.

The Portfolio is the right weight though - I doubt I will find
anything else that is so easy to carry around.

Bob Wilhelm

Rockwell Science Center
wilhelm@rpal.com
(415)325-0253

jmc10392@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Jeffrey M Cortez) (11/17/90)

wilhelm@elements.rpal.com (Robert Wilhelm) writes:

>The Portfolio is the right weight though - I doubt I will find
>anything else that is so easy to carry around.

Try out the Tandy 102.  I know it is not IBM compatible, and it
only has 32K of memory, but it is lighter than most books and hook
it up to an IBM with Laplink and it is great for doing field typing
and data gathering.  This computer is not for everyone, but it is
has worked well for me.

Jeff Cortez
jmc10392@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu

slsw2@cc.usu.edu (11/18/90)

In article <WILHELM.90Nov16120043@carbon.elements.rpal.com>, wilhelm@elements.rpal.com (Robert Wilhelm) writes:
> I seriously considered buying a Portfolio but changed my mind after a
> 1 hour try at typing with the keypad. I found it very difficult to type
> with more than two or three fingers because of the size and spacing of
> the keys.  Also, the feel of the keys and the reponse after a finger
> hit is very different from the other keyboard devices I use.

Actually, I find that if you hold the machine in your hands such that your
fingers are behind the machine and you are typing with your two thumbs, the
machine is quite useful. I find that I can actually touch-type that way; not
fast, but effective.
Roger Ivie

35 S 300 W
Logan, Ut.  84321
(801) 752-8633

ashley@usage.csd.oz (Ashley Aitken) (11/18/90)

I have also been looking at the Atari Portfolio, some comments:

	Keyboard seemed ok (although I only tried to type for a couple of
	minutes, and in contrast to reports from others) for its size. Of
	course a full size keyboard would be better ...

	Display was very disappointing! Only 4 lines of 40 or so chars in
	the usual display mode (ie with border). I thought this was the
	biggest negative. I want to see at least 8 lines of 80 characters
	or about a paragraph of text. Yes, I know it scrolls etc.

	RAM is too expensive!

	It would of been great if they had also built into ROM a version
	of BASIC (or some other interpreter). Yes, I know you can write
	code on a PC and run it on the Portfolio, but what if you want to
	write a little code on the run in a bus at peak hour ... Yes, I
	know you can put something like Tiny-Basic on a RAM (or ROM?) card
	but see the previous point, and also remember there is only one
	card in the machine at any time.

	MAC connection seemed (from what I could work out from the glossies)
	to be only a second-rate connection compared with the PC connection.
	The PC was parallel etc and could even control the Portfolio's
	operation, whereas the MAC was via the normal serial type connection
	etc. Pity they didn't make connecting simpler, I think that it is
	a VERY IMPORTANT point to be able to easily upload and download info
	to the portable (unless you are just going to use the Portfolio as
	an expensive reminder, calendar, phone number database etc).

	Great package. It feels sturdy but still light. Nice hinge. Seems like
	it would last!

	Some questions I had on my mind afterwards:

		Could I effectively take notes in a lecture or meeting with
		it?

		Could I really interconnect it with my Mac, or would I do it
		once and then never again?

		Will RAM prices come down real-soon-now?

		Should I buy it? :-)

I normally carry a clipboard around with a lot of printouts of documents from
my Unix account, ie diary information, to-do list, latest draft of something
I am writing, ... I want to replace this with a handheld or notebook computer.

Clive Sinclair's notebook computer (the name of which escapes me at this time)
seems to be a contender too. Although not PC compatible it seems to have all
the things I need. It can be effectively used to take notes in a lecture or
meeting. I have a friend who is evidence of that. They say it can easily
connect with a Mac and it has a nice keyboard. The only thing is, I think it
has too little memory and the upgrades are very expensive.

Still looking.
Bye for now,
Ashley Aitken.

E-MAIL  ashley@spectrum.cs.unsw.oz.au				   AARNet
	ashley%spectrum.cs.unsw.oz@uunet.uu.net			   Internet
	{uunet,ukc,ubc-vision}!munnari!spectrum.cs.unsw.oz!ashley  UUCP
	ashley%spectrum.cs.unsw.oz@australia			   CSnet
	ashley%spectrum.cs.unsw.oz@uk.ac.ukc			   JAnet

POSTAL	Academic Address:			Residential Address:
	School of EE and CS, (Rm 345)		c/o Basser College, (Rm 123-4)
	University of New South Wales,		The Kensington Colleges,
	Box 1,PO KENSINGTON,N.S.W.,2033,	Box 24,PO KENSINGTON,3033.
	AUSTRALIA.				AUSTRALIA.
	Ph. (02) 697-4419 Fx. (02) 662-2087	Ph. Aust (02) 663-8117

On Darwinian Evolution "It is all to obviously correct for the people who are
enchanted  by its power of demystification,  while others will forever invent
difficulties and counterarguments." Valentino Braitenberg

powers@uklirb.informatik.uni-kl.de (David Powers ) (11/19/90)

abl@tempo.ece.cmu.edu (Antonio Leal) writes:

>Last week I asked for some Atari Portfolio info, especially
>with respect to Mac/PC interfacing.  Besides the postings
>that showed up here, I got mail from three people. I can't
>quote them directly (I had a fit of sleepy incompetence, best
>left unmentioned), but the conclusions are:

>1- For PC connections, it's best to go with the parallel interface
>  option (on special offer in some ads).
>2- The Portfolio is also a good notebook for a Mac. There's a comm
>  program (in hqx form) floating around.
>3- There's a free terminal program, available from an Atari BBS,
>  as good as the commercial stuff.
>4- I've yet to hear from disappointed users.  Every owner seems to
>  like it, within its limitations, for the sheer portability.

I agree with 1 and 4 - but am currently in a totally MAC (no PCs)
environment and would desparately love to get hold of 2 - any
clues, ftp addresses, etc.?

David Powers		 +49-631/205-3449 (Uni);  +49-631/205-3200 (Fax)
FB Informatik		powers@informatik.uni-kl.de; +49-631/13786 (Prv)
Univ Kaiserslautern	 * COMPULOG - Language and Logic
6750 KAISERSLAUTERN	 * MARPIA   - Parallel Logic Programming
WEST GERMANY		 * STANLIE  - Natural Language Learning

Riddle:		What is the difference between the university and me.
Disclaimer:	My opinion.

powers@uklirb.informatik.uni-kl.de (David Powers ) (11/19/90)

wilhelm@elements.rpal.com (Robert Wilhelm) writes:

>I seriously considered buying a Portfolio but changed my mind after a
>1 hour try at typing with the keypad. I found it very difficult to type
>with more than two or three fingers because of the size and spacing of
>the keys.  Also, the feel of the keys and the reponse after a finger
>hit is very different from the other keyboard devices I use.

>If you are thinking about typing info into the Portfolio, you might
>want to try one out for some time before making a buy. My experiment
>resulted in amazing cramps.

I have written entire (published) articles on the Portfolio.  As a
touch typist it slow me down somewhat, and after several HOURS I
find I get cramps.  My biggest problem was the recessing of the
keyboard - my flat thumb led to missed spaces at first.  But I
would say I still achieve 80% throughput.

I originally wanted a POQET - but for ten times the outlay and
after hearing bad reports on its keyboard, I'm not so sure.  I am
beginning to think the calculator style keys of the PORTFOLIO were
a good choice as it allows more clearance for big fingers than on
the POQET.

zaphod@madnix.UUCP (Ron Bean) (11/24/90)

In Article <701@spinifex.eecs.unsw.oz>, ashley@usage.csd.oz (Ashley Aitken)
writes:

>        Keyboard seemed ok

   My only complaint is that it's hard to hit the spacebar due to the way
the case is designed. I've found that touch-typists are actually slower
than fast two- or four-finger typists, because they insist on trying to use
all ten fingers. (Note I didn't say "hunt and peck"; I don't have to hunt).

>        Display was very disappointing! Only 4 lines of 40 or so chars in
>        the usual display mode (ie with border). I thought this was the
>        biggest negative. I want to see at least 8 lines of 80 characters
>        or about a paragraph of text. Yes, I know it scrolls etc.

   You don't need the border. F5 toggles it on and off. When I was using a
Tandy Model 100, I would have preferred 40x16 (like the old Tandy 200) over
80x8, assuming I was going to reformat it later. But the M100 was extremely
slow at scrolling the display; the Portfolio is fast.

>        RAM is too expensive!

    *NOTE*: The "RAM cards" work like "disks", not "RAM". Your program and
data must still fit in about 100K of system memory (depending on the size
of the "C:" RAMdisk), unless your program is in ROM. And as you pointed
out, you can only have one card in the machine at a time.

>        It would of been great if they had also built into ROM a version
>        of BASIC (or some other interpreter).

    Unfortunately, Tandy's experience with the M100 showed that "most"
users (ie, non-programmers) preferred a spreadsheet over a programming
language. You can think of a spreadsheet as a type of interpreter...

>        MAC connection seemed (from what I could work out from the glossies)
>        to be only a second-rate connection compared with the PC connection.
>        The PC was parallel etc and could even control the Portfolio's
>        operation, whereas the MAC was via the normal serial type connection
>        etc. Pity they didn't make connecting simpler...

  The PC connection uses a SERIAL protocol over the parallel port, so it's
not very fast. The pity is that the ROM software doesn't support the serial
port, so you need some way to load the serial-transfer program. Or that
Apple decided the Mac didn't need a parallel port...

   If you're going to use the parallel port, you might also order a
DB25-male=>Centronics-female adapter so you can use your existing printer
cable for data transfer instead of buying a separate one (very few computer
stores stock this adapter, but some mail order places have them).

>                Could I effectively take notes in a lecture or meeting with
>                it?

   Probably not, but I suppose it would depend on how fast *you* can type
on it (not how fast someone else can or can't do it). Taking notes in the
library is a different matter; that's mostly what I bought mine for. I also
considered the Cambridge laptop (Z88?), but I didn't like the form-factor
for carrying (big and flat instead of compact like the Portfolio).

>                Will RAM prices come down real-soon-now?

   I doubt it... THERE IS NO STANDARD FOR RAM CARDS :-( Even though they've
been using them in synthesizers and such for several years now. If the
Portfolio sells well enough, there may be some 3rd-party competition, or
there may not. But check with the big mail-order companies.

zaphod@madnix.UUCP (Ron Bean)
{harvard|rutgers|ucbvax}!uwvax!astroatc!nicmad!madnix!zaphod

TNA32@CCVAX.IASTATE.EDU (FRINGE) (11/26/90)

Intel has announced that they will start production of "flashcards" soon,
they are the same type of thing as the ram card some other things use (the
48sx, portfolio, etc etc) maybe they'll drive the prices down. nahhh too much
to hope for.