[comp.sys.handhelds] Strange hole in my 48sx

" Warburton) (11/22/90)

I noticed that next to the last "t" in "Hewlett" on the top of my HP-48sx
there exists a tiny hole.  My meek and cautious nature has prevented me
from sticking anything into it.  Does anybody know what purpose this
serves?  It is my experience that everything on an HP product serves some
function; otherwise it would never be there.

The hole (or slot) is quite difficult to see, try holding the calculator
at different angles to see it.

rsholmes@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Rich Holmes) (11/26/90)

In article <1990Nov22.034331.27216@sol.UVic.CA> mwarburt@student.UVic.CA (Mark "!" Warburton) writes:
>I noticed that next to the last "t" in "Hewlett" on the top of my HP-48sx
>there exists a tiny hole.  My meek and cautious nature has prevented me

I think I see what you mean, but it looks to me less like a hole and more like
an indentation in whatever is under the nameplate.  Now, the nameplate's a
weird thing.  It's separate from the rest of the front panel and sits in a hole
therein.  Howcome?  I thought perhaps to enable the 48SX to be sold under
another name as an OEM product... but the Hewlett Packard name IS on the
underside of the case.  Or, I thought, maybe it's a secret panel for access to
the IR port... but it seems to be a little too far left for that.

So, what's the separate nameplate for?

--
 - Rich Holmes                                  rich@suhep.bitnet
   Syracuse U. Physics Dept.                    rich@suhep.phy.syr.edu

IMS103@psuvm.psu.edu (Ian Matthew Smith) (11/29/90)

In article <1990Nov26.143810.15443@rodan.acs.syr.edu>,
rsholmes@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Rich Holmes) says:

>So, what's the separate nameplate for?
>
> - Rich Holmes                                  rich@suhep.bitnet
>   Syracuse U. Physics Dept.                    rich@suhep.phy.syr.edu
>                                or if you must: rsholmes@rodan.acs.syr.edu
>   "The United States -- Making the World Safe For Monarchy!"

Shock absorber?  I have had 3 HP calcs and abuse them terribly.
After bouncing down a flight of steps my 15C suffered only minor
scratches except that a day later I noticed the HP logo was missing.
Obviously it is designed to take the force of multiple impacts.

Ian Smith <ims103@psuvm.bitnet>   :-)'s for the humor impaired. :) :)

aleg8r@oak.circa.ufl.edu (12/01/90)

I removed the hp logo to see what was behind it!  There are two little
holes behind the plate, but don't ask me what they are for!  They are
about the size of a tip of a ball point pen and located about 1 cm apart
from each other.  Thought I remove the plate to solve the mystery of what
was behind it, well know there is a new mystery, what are the two holes
behind the plate for?
                                          JON  (GO GATORS BEAT FSU)