[comp.sys.handhelds] HP48SX

alonzo@microsoft.UUCP (Alonzo GARIEPY) (03/07/90)

By now, most of you have already heard that Hewlett-Packard
has introduced a new calculator called the HP 48SX.  I hear
that several people are going to post reviews of the HP 48SX
functions and features, and comparisons with the HP 28S, so
I will aim for a little more depth and give my understanding
and impressions of more fundamental technical issues.

But, a picture is worth a thousand words, so here are some of each...
____________________________
| ________________________ |\
| | {HOME PROGS}   13:42 | | \       Note the display of the current directory.
| | -------------------- | | |        (There is a new UPDIR function.)  Time!
| | 4:  Graphic 131 x 64 | | |       Graphic objects make graphics much easier.
| | 3: e : 2.71828182846 | | |       You can label stack objects with names.
| | 2:              # 0h | | |       All HP 28 objects types are supported plus
| | 1:     3.14159265359 | | |        plenty more (including machine code!).
| | ### ## ### ## ## ### | | |       Directory objects in menus look like file
| |/____________________\| | |        folders.  Variables are simple rectangles.
|- __  __  __  __  __  __ -| |
| |__||__||__||__||__||__| | |       There are 49 keys on the keyboard.  Each
|- __  __  __  __  __  __ -| |        key may have as many as fifteen functions
| |__||__||__||__||__||__| | |        (including USER definitions!), but they
|  __  __  __  __  __  __  | |        are sensible and easy to use.
| |__||__||__||__||__||__| | |
|  ______  __  __  __  __  | |
| |______||__||__||__||__| | |       You can execute SWAP, DROP, and DUP without
|  __  ___  ___  ___  ___  | |        using shift keys, and they are available
| |__||___||___||___||___| | |        for programming without the use of menus.
|  __  ___  ___  ___  ___  | |
| |__||___||___||___||___| | |       The menus have been consolidated and
|  __  ___  ___  ___  ___  | |        expanded.  For a complete function list
| |__||___||___||___||___| | |        see my posting on internals.
|  __  ___  ___  ___  ___  | |
| |__||___||___||___||___| | |       OFF and CONT are now programmable.
|__________________________|/
 approximately actual size

This is a great machine.  It has twice the clock rate of an HP 28 and
seems about 50% faster for manual calculations.  Programs execute almost
twice as fast.  The reason for this difference is that so much more work
is being done to keep the display updated between keypresses.

The 48 is much more programmable than the 28.  Functions are easier to get to,
and they're all on one keyboard.  Alphabetic keys and most of the special
characters are easily accessible too.  The prices I hear are anywhere from
$280 from EduCalc to $350 with no discount.

My next posting has a variety of interesting technical details.

Alonzo Gariepy
alonzo@microsoft

a309@mindlink.UUCP (George Lin) (03/11/90)

1) The serial number on my 48SX is 3003A00256.  Does this mean my calculator is
the 256th one off the production line?

2) How about an IR I/O interface for the PC so that one does not need to 'plug
in' their HP to transfer data?

BTW, for you fellow Canucks, these calculator in Canada.
The usually Mega-Buck price applies though.  I paid $430 Can for mine.
George Lin -- Mindlink, BC

mjkobb@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Michael J Kobb) (03/12/90)

In article <1290@mindlink.UUCP> a309@mindlink.UUCP (George Lin) writes:

>2) How about an IR I/O interface for the PC so that one does not need to 'plug
>in' their HP to transfer data?

Yeah, but the infrared only does 2400 bps, while the cable does 9600.  For 4x
speed, I'll cope with a cable...

--Mike
Waiting for EduCalc to get the 48sx-->Mac interface kits in stock.............

ji@close.columbia.edu (John Ioannidis) (03/12/90)

In article <1290@mindlink.UUCP> a309@mindlink.UUCP (George Lin) writes:
>1) The serial number on my 48SX is 3003A00256.  Does this mean my calculator is
>the 256th one off the production line?

HP's serial numbers are in the form YYWWCNNNNN, where YY is the number
of years since 1960, WW is the week of the year, C is the country code
(A=USA, S=Singapore, M=Mexico etc) and NNNNN is the serial number itself.
Now, I was under the impression that NNNNN was monotonically increasing,
not starting at 0 (or 1) every time YY or WW changed. I'm probably wrong,
since my calculator is 3009A00098. See, it can't be the 98th calculator
off the production line (which is what I thought) and have been produced
in the 9th week of 1990 (1960+30) and yours be the 256th and be produced
the third week of 1990. Unless you reported the WW code wrong!

>2) How about an IR I/O interface for the PC so that one does not need to 'plug
>in' their HP to transfer data?

I have no idea what IREDs/IRdiodes they are using; use a stronger IRED
in your end and you can fry their photodiode (OK, IRdiode!). I remember
this used to be a problem with the 41 WAND; people had made circuits
driven by their PCs to flash a red LED at their WAND and ended up frying
them (the solution was to put some diffusing material like cotton wool
between them; which is not acceptable in the 48 case).

I undertand the reluctance to electrically hook up the 48 to a PC,
but the IR link will only run up to 2400 baud, as opposed to 9600 for
the serial link.

/ji

chin@ankh.ftl.fl.us (Albert Chin) (05/27/90)

I just began reading this newsgroup, as I hadn't known of it before. I have
the HP 28S and am VERY interested in knowing more about the HP 48sx. Can
you give me details as to speed improvement over 28S, graphic resolution,
programming language, added features, standard memory and expanded memory,
etc.

This seems to be avery powerful calculator from what posts are here.

Oh, and how much is it?

Albert Chin ... mthvax!mamia!albert

dove@ucscb.ucsc.edu (Ray Rischpater) (08/09/90)

Someone recently told me that zipper-style cases are shipped with the
newer revision ROMs.  (C and D.)

Amazingly enough, my rev D HP48sx came with a >nifty< flap-style case.  I
haven't seen a case this good for a calculator since the HP-65.

Anyways, so if you're shopping for an SX, it shows that you shouldn't
judge a book by its, ... err... calculator by its case.

I'll be posting a telephone database manager here as soon as I get my
cable made.

--
--     dove@ucscg.ucsc.edu  		  Ray Rischpater
--     dove@ucscb.ucsc.edu		  (408) 426-0716

talaga@oxy.edu (David Scott Talaga) (08/11/90)

In article <5870@darkstar.ucsc.edu> dove@ucscb.ucsc.edu (Ray Rischpater) writes:

>Someone recently told me that zipper-style cases are shipped with the
>newer revision ROMs.  (C and D.)
>
>Amazingly enough, my rev D HP48sx came with a >nifty< flap-style case.  I
>haven't seen a case this good for a calculator since the HP-65.

My 48sx came with rev. D roms and a zipper case.  I prefer the zipper case
myself.

"Excuse me while I unzip this"

(ooohs and aaahs)

"Heh heh heh"

David Talaga	     talaga@oxy.edu
Occidental Chemical Weapons
Los Angeles

r91400@memqa.uucp (Michael C. Grant) (08/13/90)

In article <106597@tiger.oxy.edu>, talaga@oxy.edu (David Scott Talaga) writes:
> In article <5870@darkstar.ucsc.edu> dove@ucscb.ucsc.edu (Ray Rischpater) writes:
>>Amazingly enough, my rev D HP48sx came with a >nifty< flap-style case.  I
>>haven't seen a case this good for a calculator since the HP-65.
>
> My 48sx came with rev. D roms and a zipper case.  I prefer the zipper case
> myself.
>
> "Excuse me while I unzip this"
> (ooohs and aaahs)
> "Heh heh heh"

Yeah, but with the flap-style case, you can do the quote REAL justice...

"Excuse me while I whip this out..."
--Blazing Saddles

Michael C. Grant

akcs.hpbbs@hpcvbbs.UUCP (Stephen W. Houdek) (12/03/90)

Hello everyone, I just got an HP48SX yesterday.  I am busily reading the
manual trying to learn the HP "Style".  Yes, this is my first HP
calculator.  The one amazing thing that I find about this little gem is
that it is more like a computer than a calculator.  Could anyone give me
any Idea how much the serial interface kit is...also the price of a Ram
card and an Equation card?  I am interested in interfacing this thing
with my computer.  Thankyou in advance for your help. -SH
'.'