[comp.sys.handhelds] ME EE ChemE application cards by Sparcom

akcs.lavake@hpcvbbs.UUCP (Morgan R LaVake) (11/28/90)

I just spoke to Educalc today.  They informed me that the ME, EE
and ChemE application and reference cards from Sparcom will not be
availiable until mid December.  I was told that Sparcom had not completed
the cards and that they were now looking towards a Dec 15 release date,
but this could slip.  You'll all have to keep waiting.

bruceb@telesoft.com (Bruce Bergman @nova) (12/04/90)

In article <1244@hpcvbbs.UUCP>, akcs.lavake@hpcvbbs (Morgan R LaVake) writes:
> I just spoke to Educalc today.  They informed me that the ME, EE
> and ChemE application and reference cards from Sparcom will not be
> availiable until mid December.  I was told that Sparcom had not completed
> the cards and that they were now looking towards a Dec 15 release date,
> but this could slip.  You'll all have to keep waiting.

Funny.  I talked with Richard Nelson at EduCalc on Monday the 24th and I
asked specifically about the Chem card (which I lust after heavily).  He
told me that Sparcom is severely hampered by 1) a lack of blank cards which
they can program, and 2) some bugs in the software.  The *earliest* date
at which EduCalc expects to receive the Chem card is mid February '91.  The
other cards may vary, but I suspect they will be pretty close to that date.

I have been on order for the Chem card since early October and have kept
in touch with both EduCalc and Eric at Sparcom and have followed the delays
with some patience.  This last one really irked me -- I cancelled my order
(and hope others did too) in the hope that EduCalc will tell Sparcom what
their customers are doing.  Reasonable delays are understandable -- six to
seven month delays are not.

[I've been asked before why I do this.  I've been told by a marketing guy
in a retail outfit that the best way to express displeasure over not getting
a product on time is to cancel your order, even if you still intend on
buying the product.  This gives the retail company (and by default, any
contractor like Sparcom) an idea of the urgency, spontaneous-buyer-scenario,
and so on.  And yes, there are risks in doing this.  I still intend to buy
one when they are being shipped.]

If anyone hears anything more recent, I'd like to know...

thanks,

bruce
--
att!   \   crash!--\            TeleSoft (bruceb@telesoft.com)
ncr-sd! \           \           5959 Cornerstone Court West
         >--ucsd!---->--telesoft!bruceb (Bruce Bergman N7HAW)
nosc!   /           /           San Diego, CA.  92121-9891
ucbvax!/   uunet!--/            (619) 457-2700 x123
All opinions are my own.    Have you hugged your horse lately?

TNA32@CCVAX.IASTATE.EDU (FRINGE) (12/07/90)

I attempted to purchase a EE card 2 months ago from EduCalc and was
told at the time it was on "2 week back order" called back in two weeks,
and whaddya know? It'll be another two weeks..."Can't get them through
customs..." (they come from Canada)  CAlled back in another two weeks...
"Sparcom just got delivery of the cards from Epson, they'll be programming
them tomorrow, we should hhave them by the end of the week..."  Called back
again, after still not receiving a card by the day promised..."They found
a bug in the multiple equation solver...won't be till mid december." That
was several weeks ago.  I cancelled my order onthe spot. Loudly.  I
still intend to purchase one, but they are aware that a lot of people are
becoming upset that they advertised a product that won't be out until
after they issue their next catalog...  Just sharing a story....
-fRiNgE