[comp.sys.handhelds] Rumours on new HP handheld

jurjen@cwi.nl (Jurjen NE Bos) (11/26/90)

Kan anybody give me more details on the following rumours I've
heard about a system called "Jaguar"?

>From what I hear, it may be produced by the PC department, not the
Calculator department, but it sure is a handheld...

The "Jaguar" system (that's the name I've heard) is a handheld
aimed at the business market.
It is a clamshell design (what about that!) allined horizontally.
The upper half is a LCD display capable of 16 lines with 40 characters,
and the lower half is a QWERTY keyboard.

Its size is 3.4 x 6.3 x 1 inch (8.6 x 16 x 2.54 cm).

Its software consists of:
- HP19B compatible calculator (definitely business oriented)
- Lotus 123 compatible spreadsheet
- WordPerfect compatible wordprocessor

It has 512 Kb RAM and 1 Mb ROM.

It will be introduced around april 1991, and it's price
will be somewhere in the neigbourhood of $430 - $575 (that's f1500,-
to f2000,- in dutch guilders).

I hope I haven't told any HP-secrets, but this information was very
easy to get here in the Netherlands.

This information comes from STORC, the Dutch users club for RPL
Calculators. We understand the "Jaguar" will not run RPL, but who
knows, HP might make it compatible with the 48's plug-in cards, or
maybe release RPL for the machine.

The address of STORC is:        My address is:
STORC                           Eric Toonen
P.O. Box 616                    Djept-Zuid 6
5600 AP Eindhoven               5502 RP Veldhoven
Netherlands                     Netherlands

You can reach me via E-mail at:
s89406143@hsepm1.hse.nl    <-- prefered but hard to type
eric@hsepm1.hse.nl         <-- local alias, don't know how long it will stand

garye@microsoft.UUCP (Gary ERICSON) (12/07/90)

In article <2586@charon.cwi.nl> jurjen@cwi.nl (Jurjen NE Bos) writes:

>The "Jaguar" system (that's the name I've heard) is a handheld
>aimed at the business market.
>
>It will be introduced around april 1991, and it's price
>will be somewhere in the neigbourhood of $430 - $575 (that's f1500,-
>to f2000,- in dutch guilders).

Well, I think that settles it - I believe I'll postpone buying a
Casio/Sharp/Atari and wait to see what HP does. I had heard a similar rumor
a while back, but I thought it wouldn't be out until summer. April is worth
waiting for. Looks like it will be expensive, but I know it will be nice.
HP knows how to build these puppies...

Gary Ericson - Microsoft - Work Group Apps

campbelr@hpcuha.cup.hp.com (Bob Campbell) (12/11/90)

> HP knows how to build these puppies...

Hee Hee!  This just made me think of those dalmationjet ads . . .

Don't know about your rumours, but if I did I couldn't tell you.  I am
sure Corvalis would want to thank you for the compliment though.
Bob Campbell                Some times I wish that I could stop you from
campbelr@hpda.cup.hp.com    talking, when I hear the silly things you say.
Hewlett Packard                                    - Elvis Costello