[comp.sys.handhelds] MatrixWriter question

keho@quads.uchicago.edu (thomas david kehoe) (12/17/90)

For some linear regression problems, I enter numbers into
column 1 and column 2 of the MatrixWriter.  Then I need to
put the differences between columns 1 and 2 into column 3.
How can I do this?

I also need to do things like running the values in column 1
through PREDY and putting the result in column 4, squaring
all those values, etc.

Also, is there anyway to do an inverse cumulative distribution
function?  In other words, UTPN returns the area under the
upper tail of the normal distribution past x  (the value in
level 1).  I often have the area under the upper tail, but
need to find x.  No problem with the table in the back of a
statistics book, but the 48SX can't do it..
--
"Why my thoughts are my own, when they are in, but when they are out
they are another's." - Susanna Martin, executed for witchcraft, 1681.

nelson@ (Matt Nelson) (12/18/90)

In article <1990Dec17.010220.24504@midway.uchicago.edu> keho@quads.uchicago.edu (thomas david kehoe) writes:

>Also, is there anyway to do an inverse cumulative distribution
>function?  In other words, UTPN returns the area under the
>upper tail of the normal distribution past x  (the value in
>level 1).  I often have the area under the upper tail, but
>need to find x.  No problem with the table in the back of a
>statistics book, but the 48SX can't do it..

use the solver.  suppose you had a distribution with mean=2.0 and
variance=0.5, and you wanted to find the value of x with the upper-
tail integral of 0.18.  enter the following program as EQ:

                << 2 0.5 X UTPN 0.18 - >>

go into the solver and hit (left shift)-X; you will be greeted with
"sign change" and X: 2.64726086088, which is good to 1E-12 or so.

have fun...  -matt