[comp.sys.handhelds] DTE48 and Packet

twilhite@isis.cs.du.edu (timothy r. wilhite kb0aso) (12/13/90)

From postnews Wed Dec 12 19:00:09 1990
Subject: dte48

I have just downloaded DTE48 version 1.02.  I downloaded it to the 48, and
I used ASC-> without any problems.  I have been interested in experimenting
using the 48 as a pocket packet terminal.  I have the IOPARS set up as:
{9600 0 1 1 3 3}.  I have a MFJ Multi-Mode TNC.  For some reason after
pressing return on the 48 several times, I fail to get the TNC to look at
it.  I have no problem using DTE48 connected to my PC.  I would appreciate
some response from fellow hams who are in this group.

 -tim wilhite, kb0aso

Newsgroups: comp.sys.handhelds

akcs.tyrone@hpcvbbs.UUCP (Tyrone Johnson) (12/14/90)

Could someone give a quick explanation how one would use DTE48 to connect
to a PC and control it from the 48sx (if it's even possible).  Also, how
would you use DTE48 with a modem?

akcs.jsims@hpcvbbs.UUCP (J. R. Sims, III) (12/14/90)

You have two options:
1) run some sort of communications package on the PC.
2) use the mode command to set up the PC's serial port, and the ctty
     command to transfer control to the serial port.  DOS does not
     support XON/XOFF, so you will either lose characters or have to
     use a low baud rate.

Rob

bson@rice-chex.ai.mit.edu (Jan Brittenson) (12/14/90)

In article <2767f396:1436.1comp.sys.handhelds;1@hpcvbbs.UUCP>
   akcs.tyrone@hpcvbbs.UUCP (Tyrone Johnson) writes:

 > Also, how would you use DTE48 with a modem?

I think this qualifies for the FAQ list...

   Your PC is DTE, and your modem is DCE. You need to insert a null
modem (~$8 at my local Radio Shack).

You may also need a gender changer.

akcs.kevin@hpcvbbs.UUCP (Kevin Jessup) (12/18/90)

I have successfully connected my 48SX to a HAYES modem with a null modem
cable inserted between the MODEM and the 48SX to PC serial cable.
Worked great!