[comp.sys.handhelds] Atari Portfolio developer prices

graff@mlpvm2.iinus1.ibm.com ("Michael Graff") (12/11/90)

I ordered the latest developer info pack from Atari, and it's
different from the info posted here a few days ago.

First, you're required to sign up as a developer and order the
developer starter kit for $160.  The starter kit includes the tech
ref, the emulator software (for testing Pofo programs on a regular
PC), and one year of developer technical support.

The sign-up form asks all kinds of questions like how many programmers
do you have and what will you be developing and when will it be
released.  Also, you need to sign a non-disclosure agreement.  It's
not clear, however, if they would turn you down if you simply said you
wanted to develop software for your own personal use.

Once you've signed up, the prices for the individual Pofo items are
very good (price list dated 10/26/90):

   Portfolio              $195
   Parallel interface       25
   Serial interface         40
   AC adapter                5
   32K RAM card             40
   64K RAM card             65
   128K RAM card           100
   PC card drive            50

They also have prices for EPROM cards and EPROM writer adapter boards.

If you just want a few things, you're probably better off just
ordering them from a mail order firm like J&R Music World and avoiding
all the paperwork since the $160 starter kit would offset any price
savings.  But if you really are interested in developing programs for
the Pofo, the developer prices are really nice.

--Michael

borasky@ogicse.ogi.edu (M. Edward Borasky) (12/17/90)

Is it possible to get Laxen-Perry FORTH into a PORTFOLIO?  That way,
the PORTFOLIO could be used as a STAND-ALONE development system; you
wouldn't NEED anything else!  You'd still need the hardware reference
manuals, of course, but you could develop anywhere -- in a plane, a
rest room in a shopping mall, in the car while your wife is driving --
ANYWHERE!

jims@momenta (Jim Straus) (12/20/90)

borasky@ogicse.ogi.edu (M. Edward Borasky) writes:

>Is it possible to get Laxen-Perry FORTH into a PORTFOLIO?  That way,
>the PORTFOLIO could be used as a STAND-ALONE development system; you
>wouldn't NEED anything else!  You'd still need the hardware reference
>manuals, of course, but you could develop anywhere -- in a plane, a
>rest room in a shopping mall, in the car while your wife is driving --
>ANYWHERE!

I'm not sure about Laxen-Perry Forth, but I've put a variant of a Forth
for the HP Portable into the Portfolio.  It is small enough to allow me
to jump into the Editor to create programs and then load the files into
the Forth.  I have done development while flying.  The biggest problem
is accidentally crashing the machine with bad code.  Care is required to
make sure that the write-protect switch is set before trying out any
changes to a program.