[comp.sys.handhelds] HP48sx on PC

rob@ireta.wimsey.bc.ca (Rob Prior) (12/22/90)

Has anyone tried to program a PC to run like a 48sx?  I mean, using
the PC's big screen and a 24-line stack?  I would think that it would
be do-able, considering the 48sx only has 256K ROM, and a base XT now
has 640K.

It would be an interesting programming task, to be sure...

But it would be nice to be able to do RPN and RPL programming on a PC
and test it there too...

+---------

weisen@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Neil Weisenfeld) (12/23/90)

In article <Hsqku1w163w@ireta.wimsey.bc.ca> rob@ireta.wimsey.bc.ca (Rob Prior) writes:
>Has anyone tried to program a PC to run like a 48sx?  I mean, using
>the PC's big screen and a 24-line stack?  I would think that it would
>be do-able, considering the 48sx only has 256K ROM, and a base XT now
>has 640K.
>
>It would be an interesting programming task, to be sure...
>
>But it would be nice to be able to do RPN and RPL programming on a PC
>and test it there too...

I know that there is a 42S program available for anonymous FTP from
wsmr-simtel20.army.mil.  It should be in PD1:<MSDOS.CALCULATOR> and I
think that the file name is RPN095.ZIP.  Anyway, I've got a copy but
haven't had the time to download it and try it out. If its silly,
please don't flame me (flame the author) :-).

Neil

Neil Weisenfeld           *  University of PA -- CSE 1991  *  |\  | |    |
C.E.T.S. Network Support  *  weisen@eniac.seas.upenn.edu   *  | \ | | /\ |
Coordinating Consultant   *  weisen@gynko.circ.upenn.edu   *  |  \| |/  \|

akcs.kevin@hpcvbbs.UUCP (Kevin Jessup) (12/25/90)

Regarding PC's and the 48SX...

Any users of MathCAD, MAXSYMA or Mathmatica out there?  If so and you
have a 48 as well, how often do you use the PC rather than the 48 and
or the 48 over the PC?

akcs.joehorn@hpcvbbs.UUCP (Joseph K. Horn) (12/26/90)

Kevin: I use DERIVE on a PC only for multiple precision work.  When I
need multiple precision programming, I use muLISP.  I save the 48SX for
things which MUST be done on the run, and will continue to do sa as long
as batteries cost more than AC.  --Joe Horn--

rob@ireta.wimsey.bc.ca (Rob Prior) (12/26/90)

akcs.kevin@hpcvbbs.UUCP (Kevin Jessup) writes:

> Regarding PC's and the 48SX...
>
> Any users of MathCAD, MAXSYMA or Mathmatica out there?  If so and you
> have a 48 as well, how often do you use the PC rather than the 48 and
> or the 48 over the PC?

I use MathCAD and two other programs (called FunctionPlot and Graph3D).
I usually use MathCAD when i'm writing up a lab that has tables and graphs
in it.  I use FunctionPlot for drawing a quick 2D graph when I want it on
a big scale and might want a print out if it looks funny at certain points.
Graph3D is used for (you guessed it) 3D plots of data, mostly, but some-
times I plot equations this way too.

Generally i'll go to my 48SX for solver stuff.  I don't use it much for
graphs (except in exams :) because of the relatively slow speed.