[comp.sys.handhelds] Help my 48 is going beserk!!

dj1l+@andrew.cmu.edu (Demian A. Johnston) (11/30/90)

Okay,
    I need the help of all you c.s.h netlanders here.

    I've had my 48sx rev C since June and have loved it however, a
couple of weeks ago, while playing Syzygy My calculator froze and locked
with random pixels turned on all over the pict (screen) none of the
normal stack or menu line was visible.  I tried ON-C. I pulled the
batteries.  NOTHING fixed it!!!

Ready for this:   THE HIDDEN RESET BUTTON DIDN'T FIX IT!!!!!!

So I pulled the batteries and put it aside for a couple of days so I
could bring it home for thanksgiving for service.  I would have to
content myself with my 32s.  Anyway The day I was to return home for
thanksgiving I popped the batteries into the calculator and HOLY LORD
the calculator worked fine.  The memory was cleared but I didn't
worry....

My last physics test was today and I spent last night studying for it
(can you guess whats coming up here.)  So I taking a break and my
room-mate picked up my calculator and turned it on and when he tried to
go to my { HOME CHIP } directory the calculator just freezed.  I played
with the batteries, the reset button and everything else.  I've been
able to get to some of the rom tests (ON -E) and it seems to go okay.
But when I try the Key board test ON-D, then E  I start and by the time
I hit TAN the test kicked out A key didn't fail the test just stopped
and the calculator was locked again...

What the hell is going on with my calculator.

This raises another serious question:  Did I have a virus?  Scary thought...

Currently my batteries are pulled and the calculator is sitting in my drawer.

I figure I will have to have to call service.  But I don't have me
original receipt.... Any suggestions comments etc.....

Thanks in advance for your help!

Demian J - dj1l@andrew.cmu.edu

nixon@lysator.liu.se (Leif Nixon) (12/01/90)

A friend of mine had a similar problem. His 48 crashed completely, and didn't
respond to any keypress. As a last resort he inserted the batteries the wrong
way. The calculator unlocked, and he hasn't had any problems since.

							Leif Nixon

campbelr@hpcuha.cup.hp.com (Bob Campbell) (12/01/90)

Wrong division to give you direct help, but I would suggest calling the
vendor you bought the unit from and requesting a duplicate receipt.  You
might not need it, you may have to pay a fee to get it, but it is best to
have it.

When you get it, tape it into your manual and only send copies of it.
Bob Campbell                Some times I wish that I could stop you from
campbelr@hpda.cup.hp.com    talking, when I hear the silly things you say.
Hewlett Packard                                    - Elvis Costello

sjthomas@cup.portal.com (Stephen J Thomas) (12/01/90)

I can't say why your 48SX is going bezerk, but I had a similar experience
a few days ago.   I was playing the CHIP game SYZYGY when the display
froze up.  No keys worked, even ON-C.  I tried the Reset hole/button, and
it brought my 48 back to life.  However, the 128K RAM card I had in port 1
(configured as INDEPENDENT RAM, not MERGED) was totally wiped clear.  Yet
my main calculator memory was intact.

I downloaded a fresh copy of Syzygy and determined that the one I had
played had been corrupted somehow .... although both appeared identical
when dumped to a PC screen, the comparison function == returned 0 for
the two strings.

    I don't know if Syzygy corruption caused the calculator seizure, or
vice versa.  I've had no problems since then, but I take my RAM card out
when playing CHIP games, just in case.

steve thomas          sjthomas@cup.portal.com

jpser@cup.portal.com (John Paul Serafin) (12/01/90)

sjthomas@cup.portal.com writes of a situation that resulted in his
128k RAM card was cleared even though it was configured as independent ram
and not merged ram and that in the future he will remove it before doing
something risky.
It would be simpler to change the switch on the card to the write protect
position.   This would be less wear and tear on the card and calculator
and leave the data and code on the card available.
John Serafin
jpser@cup.portal.com

sjthomas@cup.portal.com (Stephen J Thomas) (12/01/90)

re: removing an independent RAM card vs switching it to write-protect

Any program that uses machine language or microcode, or whatever, is magic to
me....I have no idea what's going on inside -- just what I see on the screen.

So call me wrong or call me chicken, but for all I know, if something
could trash my independent RAM, it may not care whether the write-
protect switch is set or not.

But this does raise a good question:  how many insertions & removals are
the 48 cards and card ports spec'd for?

steve thomas       sjthomas@cup.portal.com

sburke@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Scott Burke) (12/01/90)

Make sure you used the correct HIDDEN RESET button.  There are two
plastic feet, and two buttons, only one of which works.  I don't
remember which one it is, but I had a similar experience, and stuck
a paperclip into the button and nothing happened.  I though, "This
can't be!" and removed the OTHER foot, which worked.

scott.

rob@ireta.wimsey.bc.ca (Rob Prior) (12/02/90)

dj1l+@andrew.cmu.edu (Demian A. Johnston) writes:

> [text deleted]
> I figure I will have to have to call service.  But I don't have me
> original receipt.... Any suggestions comments etc.....
> [text deleted]

With the number of reports of HP48SX thefts from different campuses,
I wouldn't give this person any help until they can confirm they _do_
have a receipt or some way to prove they bought it...

I know three people that had theirs stolen.

+---------

bson@rice-chex.ai.mit.edu (Jan Brittenson) (12/03/90)

In article <425@lysator.liu.se> nixon@lysator.liu.se (Leif Nixon) writes:

 > A friend of mine had a similar problem. His 48 crashed completely, and
 > didn't respond to any keypress. As a last resort he inserted the
 > batteries the wrong way. The calculator unlocked, and he hasn't had
 > any problems since.

   I was going to suggest this when I read that someone left the
batteries out for several days: using a paper clip to short-cut the
contacts in the battery compartment might work just as well. I haven't
tried it, though.

JMFITZGE@SBCCVM (John Fitzgerald) (12/04/90)

     Hello all,

       I have 3 HP48SX's but, by accident, I flushed their receipts down
    the toilet...hee hee, just kidding! It is in light of Rob Prior's
    response to the fellow who's HP is going wacko (T.M.) that I write
    this. I am interested in some sort of auto-program that will excecute
    each time the HP48 is turned on. My original intention was to produce
    a beautiful digitized picture of your's truely on the screen each time
    I turned the thing on, but I figure, a password program could also be
    incorperated here. Any ideers? As for HP waki-ness, last week, I
    mistakenly pressed the memory clear sequence (don't ask!), and chose
    to restore memory (25kB worth). After about 1.5 hours, the HP was still
    attempting to restore memory, and considering that I had all my MEM
    archived on disk, I tried a systems halt. Nothing happened. I then
    removed the batteries for about 30 seconds, and when I replaced them
    the HP's screen was filled with crap. I almost lost it! All I could think
    about was going 2 weeks with my HP taking a holiday at Corvailis ( or
    whereever! ). I then removed the batteries for about half an hour,
    figuring that whatever was wrong, it would stop happening once the
    internal battery drained. Lo & behold, it stoped, and the HP went back
    to normal. As an account, the clock was also reset back to Jan 1, 1989.

      Moral: If all elase fails, remove the batteries for a while.

                           John M.R. Fitzgerald
                           Department of Engineering Science
                           SUNY Stony Brook, NY
                           JMFITZGE@SBCCVM.Bitnet

akcs.falco@hpcvbbs.UUCP (Andrey Dolgachev) (12/29/90)

Paraphrase: >how do you make a program, like a password function which
turns on when your HP on?
very simple, read c.s.h 1028, 1062, for detailed instructions and
programs, or just read the following.  All you have to do is make a
program which has an OFF command in it.  Then when you execute the
program, it turns itself off.  When you turn the HP back on, the program
picks up where it left off.  Just assign it (userkeys) to the Off key and
you got it.
,