[comp.sys.handhelds] Article deferral

bson@wheat-chex.ai.mit.edu (Jan Brittenson) (12/31/90)

In article <27797849:1513.1comp.sys.handhelds;1@hpcvbbs.UUCP>
   akcs.falco@hpcvbbs.UUCP (Andrey Dolgachev) writes:

 > I think it's on Comp.sys.handhelds, either 886, 887, or 888.  I think
 > it's 888, but if not, try the other ones.  I know its on one of them
 > and it works fine.

   The "items" of HPCVBBS make little sense outside their limited
circle of users. If you like to answer locally, set:

   If you like to answer to a wider audience, refer to the Message-ID:
field (the conveniently named Usenet equivalent of the Internet RFC822
field). For instance, the Message-ID of your article is

	27797849:1513.1comp.sys.handhelds;1@hpcvbbs.UUCP

   The article of yours which I'm quoting is Article 4853 on this
local host, but I bet it's something entirely different on HPCVBBS. If
you can't find the Message-ID (perhaps it's hidden by your news
reader) of an article or if you find the it overly cryptic, you can
refer to it in plain English (which I prefer anyway, but that's a
personal judgement) -- "as A. Dolgachev wrote in his posting on this
matter on December 28th, 1990..."

   I mention this, because it's not the first occasion where someone
has spent their time looking up something for everyone's benefit, only
to post a bogus deferral. (Also, this particular topic, the ASC
routines, I believe is covered by the FAQ list?)

						-- Jan Brittenson
						   bson@ai.mit.edu