[comp.sys.handhelds] HP-48SX marketing, etc

bson@rice-chex.ai.mit.edu (Jan Brittenson) (12/04/90)

   Are there any figures available from HP on how many HP-48SX units
have been sold? Or better, is the info gathered from the customer
survey `purchase registration' cards available?

How many units of the HP-41CV emulator card have been sold?

   Are there any second-source ROM card manufacturers? What is the
cost-quantity/turnaround for HP-manufactured ROM cards? I guess that
here voltage regulation isn't as much of an issue. Are the ROM cards
some kind of standard PROM modules - can I, with the proper equipment,
program the ROM cards myself, or are they manufacturer-masked?

TNA32@CCVAX.IASTATE.EDU (FRINGE) (12/05/90)

Epson makes the cards for HP and other people who produce software for them.

I imagine if you call one fo their reps they'll be able to point you in the
right direction.

The cards are burned (Overall, they're pretty low volume in comparison to
how many, say system ROM's they need to produce), not manufacturer masked.

kenw@col.hp.com (Ken Wyatt) (12/07/90)

Regarding contact of HP for sales figures....

I don't specifically know the Corvalis Division's policy, but generally
speaking, things like unit sales, etc. are considered company private.

akcs.falco@hpcvbbs.UUCP (Andrey Dolgachev) (12/29/90)

Check Educalc for info on programming your own ROM cards, they offer a
service where you send in your RAM card w/ your program, and they send
you a ROM card (for $, of course).  They also sell a ROM programmer and
blank ROM cards.

bson@wheat-chex.ai.mit.edu (Jan Brittenson) (12/31/90)

In article <277c16ec:1345.2comp.sys.handhelds;1@hpcvbbs.UUCP>
   akcs.falco@hpcvbbs.UUCP (Andrey Dolgachev) writes:

 > Check Educalc for info on programming your own ROM cards, they offer a
 > service where you send in your RAM card w/ your program, and they send
 > you a ROM card (for $, of course).  They also sell a ROM programmer
 > and blank ROM cards.

   My request is not of great interest anymore. I'm not interested in
anything erasable. EEPROMs fade with time, and EPROMs sometimes forget
bits which is acceptable only for prototyping.  I was primarily asking
for masked/fused ROMs, not anything reprogrammable. The cost of $60
(about 10% off at larger quantities) for a 32k card is totally
ridiculous and equally unmarketable. Masked ROMs come at a fraction of
this, and at much better turnaround times.

   And, besides, I don't think EduCalc can be trusted to do anything
properly. Your mileage may vary.

						-- Jan Brittenson
						   bson@ai.mit.edu