[comp.sys.handhelds] Dual tones for HP28S

vervalin@AUSTIN.LOCKHEED.COM (Paul Vervalin) (10/18/90)

In article <1990Oct17.210043.19196@rodan.acs.syr.edu>, mjsydoro@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Mark J. Sydorowych) writes:
> Does anyone know if it's possible to produce dual tones (same as touch
> tone pads on phones) on a 28S?.......thanks..........
>
>                                      Mark.......

I would be interested in doing this on a HP48SX.  Does anyone know what the
frequencies are for touch tone phones?
                                                   _____        _______
*********************************    HP48SX       / ___ \      /__    (\
*                               * .----------.    ||   ||     /( _)  z) \
* Paul Vervalin                 * |]]]]]]].-.|    ||___||    |. V__ (_ \/|
*                               * |]]]]]]]| ||    \_____/    |   ( ) ) | |
* vervalin@AUSTIN.LOCKHEED.COM  * |]]]]]]]| ||   .-------.   [   |/  (_/ |
*                               * |]]]]]]]`-']---[ AMIGA ]__/ \  `.     /
********************************* `----------'   `-------'     \_______/

kenw@col.hp.com (Ken Wyatt) (10/20/90)

The standard (Bell Labs) Touchtone codes are:

     Low Tone             High Tone
      (Hz)                   (Hz)
                 1209    1336    1477    1633

      697          1       2       3       A

      770          4       5       6       B

      852          7       8       9       C

      941          *       0       #       D

vincent_a@apollo.HP.COM (Andrew Vincent) (10/23/90)

From "Computer and Telecommunications Handbook", p 223 by Jeff Maynard,
ISBN 0-246-12253-6 :

        1209Hz    1336Hz   1477Hz

697Hz      1         2       3

770Hz      4         5       6

852Hz      7         8       9

941Hz      *         0       #

IE, the octothorpe (#) generates 941Hz and 1477Hz tones.

Andrew Vincent, AEO Consulting             Internet:vincent_a@apollo.hp.com
Apollo Systems Division of Hewlett Packard
Voice: +1 508 256 0176 xtn 7635            Fax: +1 508 256 9374
Telnet: 256 7635                           HPDesk: Andrew Vincent / HPJ600

pmc@caen.engin.umich.edu (Paul S McClay ) (10/24/90)

Given the poor resolution of the HPn8 tone generators, I'd be surprised if one
could fake DTMF.

You could use two calculators. Have one generate row tones and the other do
column tones. With two 28s, you could just press the same number key on both
at the same time.

How many 48 owners still have their old 28's?  Use the 28 to generate a tone
and instruct the slave 48 to generate the other.

This is, of course, entirely silly. Imagine James Bond trying to dial a phone
with two large calculators, one of which is floppy. But I had to try...

It didn't work. The tones may not have been loud enough. (Imagine James with
two calcs and an amplifier) Or, worse I fear, the frequency resolution may
not be even remotely good enough. As I recall, the DTMF specs allow for
sloppy generators but don't recall just how sloppy.

---------------
Question for 48 users: How does your beeper sound? My 28 produces very clear
tones but the few 48s I've heard are quite fuzzy.
---------------

Anyone had better luck?

  -Paul
--
-- -  -    -        -                -                -        -    -  - --
Paul McClay                            "Where are we going?"   "Planet 10!"

akcs.markl48@hpcvbbs.UUCP (Mark Allen Louwerse) (12/13/90)

This has also been a question of mine.  While in high school ten years
ago, when I was cutting my teeth on Commodore PET BASIC, I stumbled
across a magazine article that programmed a TRS - 80 to dial a
telephone(tone).  I don't know how they did it exactly, but somehow they
combined the two frequencies mathematically (an average or a hormonic of
the two frequencies) and used them on the single tone generator of the
TRS - 80.  By the way, program your 48 or 28 for a long tone, 1 to 5
seconds long. Now stick the calculator to your ear(no offense!).  On the
48, for me anyway, the tone gets pretty loud when my ear is against the
card cover(for the ROM and RAM cards).  Anyway, if anybody knows anything
about the article or the math formula let us know!

                                       Mark Louwerse -markl48
                                       Cedar Rapids, Iowa

howard@lysator.liu.se (MindWalker) (12/13/90)

akcs.markl48@hpcvbbs.UUCP (Mark Allen Louwerse) writes:

>By the way, program your 48 or 28 for a long tone, 1 to 5
>seconds long. Now stick the calculator to your ear(no offense!).  On the
>48, for me anyway, the tone gets pretty loud when my ear is against the
>card cover(for the ROM and RAM cards).

Gee, I've noticed the same thing with my Hi-Fi, when I turn the volume up
to 80% maxumum, and stick my head into the woofer... :)

(Smiley intended)

/MHd

--
Programming isn't a science,        | Foo:    howard@lysator.liu.se
it's an art.                        | Bar:    d89marho@odalix.ida.liu.se

TNAN0@CCVAX.IASTATE.EDU (12/20/90)

About the two-tone problem...

(I was a TRS-80 user...)

You cannot generate a single frequency to represent two different frequencies.
You can produce beat frequencies, but that is not equivilent...  The way that
the TRS-80 did it was low level (in ML), and worked like this:

There were 4 output levels (as I remember), 00, 01, 10, and 11...
One frequency would be created with an amplitude of 1:
00001111000011110000111100001111 (etc...)

And the other frequency with an amplitude of 1:
000111000111000111000111000111000111 (etc...)

Then, you simply add the amplitudes:
000122110111111211001222000122110111 (etc...)

Perhaps it only had three output levels, but regardless... The system is
similar...  It is also possible to generate (less-than-perfect) dual-tones
using systems like the HP calculators...  (Correct me if I am wrong) The
HPs generate tones by 'clicking' a number of times per second.  This
becomes apparent if you try to make a lower frequency tone (like 10 Hz).
So, the same type of system applies:
1   1   1   1   1   1   1   1   1   1  (Tone 1)
1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  (Tone 2)
1  11 1 11  1  11 1 11  1  11 1 11  1  (Mixed Tones)

I doubt this signal would be good enough to dial your telephone, however it
would provide nice effects for video games, music programs, and user prompts.
If someone cares to share the address of the sound output circuitry, I will
be happy to attempt a simple chord generator...

Again, forgive any flaws in the above alogrithms...  It's been awhile since I
programmed my TRS-80 to play Windmills of Your Mind...

bson@wheat-chex.ai.mit.edu (Jan Brittenson) (12/21/90)

In article <E8ACAF57D45F40194B@ISUVAX.BITNET> TNAN0@CCVAX.IASTATE.EDU writes:

 > About the two-tone problem...

   Many micro computers of ~1982 had a speaker controlled by a single
bit. Off meant the speaker element was retracted, on meant the element
was protracted. Now, when the bit was toggled, the speaker change
wasn't instantaneous. This delay, coupled with some basic timing,
could be used quite creatively: turn the bit on, and before the
speaker is completely protracted, turn it off. Then, before the
speaker is retracted to where it was before the bit was previously
turned on, turn it off. Keep juggling the speaker by keeping track of
exactly where it is at any given instant.

   Anyone must have heard the Apple-II speak or played the infamous
Castle Wolfenstein game. I believe this is how it was done - I never
really did much programming at all on Apple-II, but I've used the
trick on other - Z80 - microcomputers. It is not a perfect technique,
and we're not talking about Hi-Fi, but it is *remarkably* good if
carefully implemented.

   Now, back to the HP-48... Does anyone have any knowledge about how
piezo elements behave? How instantaneous are they - is the delay less
than, say, 10 instruction cycles? 1000 cycles? Is it potentially
harmful to the crystal? What about battery drainage?

akcs.jeff2@hpcvbbs.UUCP (Jeff Sabrowski) (01/02/91)

sorry... didn't mean to hit R.  Mighta meen been i mean, line garbage.
Just trying to get Files from the HP CV BBS to the VAX here and to my
Mac, and on to my HP 48.  Anyone who has had trouble, but eventually
figured out what they heck was going on, please help.  I'm not doing
something right.
help appreciated.
jeff sabrowski
asjas2@acad2.anc.alaska.edu