[comp.sys.handhelds] Summary: HP48SX Mail Order Prices

gmc@Quotron.COM (Greg Christy) (01/03/91)

This is a summary of the responses that I received to my initial query
regarding mail order prices for and experiences with the HP48SX.  I
received one  "go with Elek-Tek" message, one "Edu-Calc was OK."
message, one "I bought mine at 47th St. Photo" message, one "Elek-Tek
doesn't know anything about QIC tapes" (I'm not sure what this has to
do with ordering an HP48SX), and two "please post a summary" messages.

Here is a summary of the prices:

EduCalc           $274.95  (800) 677-7001 or (714) 682-2637, FAX (714) 582-1445
J&R Music World   $269.95  (800) 221-8180 or (718) 417-3743, FAX (718) 497-1791
Elek-Tek          $249.00  (800) 395-1000 or (708) 677-7660, FAX (708) 677-7168
47th St. Photo    $249.95  no phone numbers given

The price winners are Elek-Tek and 47th St. Photo.  I decided to make
my purchase from Elek-Tek due to the fact I bought my HP41CX from
Elek-Tek years ago and was pleased with their service, and the fact I
have had some minor hassles from 47th St. when ordering photo
equipment.  Another plus for Elek-Tek is their shipping prices are
reasonable.

Thanks to those who responded.  I misplaced the message regarding
EduCalc (sorry), but the other responses appear below.

To: gmc@Quotron.COM
Subject: Re: HP48SX Mail Order Prices
Newsgroups: comp.sys.handhelds

hello... approximately two months ago, i did as thorough a search
as you are presently doing, and came up with:

elek-tek hands down winner.

so, i'd say buy from elek-tek. also, they send their packages
a lot faster than they say they will...
they told me 6-8 days.  it was on my kitchen table in 3 and a half days.
not a bad company at all...

Peter J. Dohm
Electrical Engineering Major       "The Only Thing We Have To Fear Is..."
The Ohio State University
pdohm@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu
dohm@kcgl1.eng.ohio-state.edu         " A Macuser On An IBM!"
ak541@cleveland.freenet.edu

From: uunet!vitus.sps.mot.com!toms@ns.Quotron.COM (Thomas Spohrer)
To: gmc@ns.Quotron.COM
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 90 15:18:50 CST

I got mine from 47-Street photo for $249.95.

However, I don't have their number handy.  The calculator came fine (2
day air) but they didn't send the serial cable that I ordered with it
since it was out of stock.

-toms-

Thomas Spohrer    UUCP: {harvard,utah-cs,gatech}!cs.utexas.edu!oakhill!toms

From: MISS026%BOGECNVE.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu
To: gmc@ns.Quotron.COM
Subject:  re: bad experiences with ...[Elek-Tek]
Date:     Sun, 9 Dec 90 02:32:03 -0600

Well, in general I have been pretty lucky with ordering via the mail.  And I
never had a problem with Elek-Tek until a few weeks ago.  I was in a real bind
and needed a 150MB tape for my TEAC drive the same day.  Since I live about
30 mins from Elek-Tek, I called them to see if they carried the tape cassette,
how much, etc...their "Technical Support" person said yes, they had the data
cassette that I needed -- although it was made by a different manufacturer,
and it was X price, etc.

So I got in the car, in rush hour, during a thunderstorm and got down there.
When I arrived, they didnt have the cassettes, rather they had DC600 cartridges
, and no one there knew what the hell I was talking about.  They called the
tech support guy I spoke with down, and he said "oh, data cassettes, I thought
they were all the same.  Sorry..."

Didn't do me a bit of good, since I needed the cassette that night, and then
had to drive back in the rush hour traffic again, and in the rain.  I asked the
tech support moron what his qualifications were, and he had none.  Something
about being able to read I guess.....

Moral of the story: Don't order from Elek-Tek unless you have nothing else to
do, because even if they say they carry the product, and tell you it is in stock
and quote you a price; they may not carry it at all, or it may not be in stock,
or the price might be completely off....

Needless to say, I'm never going there again....think I'll stick to next day
air (about the same cost as the sales tax anyway....) from EduCalc...

*flame on pilot mode*

bye for now but nto for long
Greeny