[comp.sys.handhelds] Jekyll and Hyde

jmorriso@ee.ubc.ca (John Paul Morrison) (11/21/90)

The library posted by HP was pretty cute, but no one has yet
mentioned an obvious use for it, once someone disassembles it:

The library posted hooks into the error handling. This provides
a very nifty way of implementing an error handler, without an RPL
program ever knowing that errors even ocurred.

The built in IFERR structure is too  complicated: you wouldn't want to
put IFERRs around every single operation.

akcs.joehorn@hpcvbbs.UUCP (Joseph K. Horn) (11/22/90)

John Paul Morrison writes:

> The library posted by HP was pretty cute, but no one has yet
> mentioned an obvious use for it, once someone disassembles it:
>
> The library posted hooks into the error handling. This provides
> a very nifty way of implementing an error handler, without an
> RPL program ever knowing that errors even ocurred.
>
> The built in IFERR structure is too  complicated: you wouldn't
> want to put IFERRs around every single operation.

John, I doubt it.  Notice that HYDE does not only change error
messages, but ALL messages!  (Example: press I/O SETUP and look at
that bizarre I/O setup menu!)  "Strange Case 998" is not a error
handler, but a message translator.  A "nifty" and practical use
for this ability is the reason it's supported: foreign translation
libraries that turn the HP 48 into a French calculator, or any
language you please.

Of course, foreign versions of ROM cards are just as easily
implemented.

Notice that the 48 manuals do not mention all the messages; for
example, message #7 is normally "Warning:" but HYDE translates it
to "Hey you:".

--  Joseph K. Horn  --  (714) 858-0920  --  Peripheral Vision, Ltd.

bson@rice-chex.ai.mit.edu (Jan Brittenson) (11/23/90)

In article <274ae35f:1200.1comp.sys.handhelds;1@hpcvbbs.UUCP>
   akcs.joehorn@hpcvbbs.UUCP (Joseph K. Horn) writes:

 > Notice that HYDE does not only change error messages, but ALL
 > messages! ... "Strange Case 998" is not a error handler, but a message
 > translator.  A "nifty" and practical use for this ability is the
 > reason it's supported: foreign translation libraries that turn the HP
 > into a French calculator, or any language you please.

c1d4
c110

   Hmm... Let me guess. The font/message ROM is mapped in, the vector
at #700f1 points to the message table base, the message is copied to
RAM, the message/font ROM mapped out, and the message returned as a
string object. Setting the vector to #Fxxxx will move the base to RAM
xxxx?

   At least this is what seems to be the case after quickly glimpsing
(after the HYDE stuff was posted) at the ML routines at #c1d4 (get ROM
version) and #c110 (get message text). (Actually, I couldn't get HYDE
to work on my calculator, so this is based on descriptions that have
passed over the net. I screwed up, and didn't think it was important
enough to bother with.) But it's Thanksgiving, and I've had a couple
of glasses of wine, and may be a little tilted, so apologies to
everyone if I'm driveling. :-)

Disclaimer, blah, blah, etc.

akcs.matty@hpcvbbs.UUCP (James Matthew Huyck) (01/03/91)

Where can I find a copy of HYDE?
I can't seem to find it anywhere!
Please respond my posting a message here.
ASC-> will work, I presume.
Waiting hopefully........

Matt Huyck
.

akcs.falco@hpcvbbs.UUCP (Andrey Dolgachev) (01/03/91)

For everybody who hasn't found it yet, the HYDE library, by Bill Wickes,
is found in message #1142 (Nov 15, HP48 Finishing School Dropout).
    Enjoy,
            ---Falco