[comp.sys.handhelds] Info on HP-48 internals.

chas@vision.UUCP (Charles Hirst) (12/31/90)

Sorry to ask a question that is probably old but I have only just found this
group and we don't archive news.

	I have a HP-48 and would like as much internals info as possible on it.
I have seen mention of such info, but do not have access to A.F.T.P. If anybody
could send me a copy I would be most apreciative.

	My next question is wether there is a piece of software that allows you
to write code for the 48 on your PC, and then download it to the calculator.

	Thanks in advance for any info

grahamf@hparc0.HP.COM (Graham Fraser) (01/04/91)

>> My next question is wether there is a piece of software that allows you
>> to write code for the 48 on your PC,  and then download it to the
>> calculator

Hewlett-Packard has just added the HP82208B PROGRAM DEVELOPMENT LINK (PDL)
to their corporate pricelist.  PDL is expected to be available in the U.S.A.
sometime towards the end of January/early February.  I do not have exact
release date and price details at the moment.  I also do not have all the
details of what is included in the total package.

Anyway,  here is a very brief overview - more detailed information to follow
soon (I hope):

PDL is an HP 48 User Language Development System for the IBM PC (and
compatibles).  The primary aim of PDL is to assist HP48 users in writing,
documenting,  running,  debugging,  and maintaining HP 48 applications.
PDL provides an on-screen programming environment for developing applications.
You can send all,  or part of,  your application to the HP 48.  You can run
the application on the HP 48,  or you can operate the HP 48 from the computer.

PDL is a text based application designed to run on a minimal system.

PDL consist of a series of "windows" with a menu bar across the top to
access more "pull-down" menus.  The menu system provides options for
 - File an application management
 - Program editing
 - Window selection
 - Variable management (naming, deleting etc ...)
 - Transfer options
 - On-line Help

The Edit Window is where you write and display your current application.
The "Smart Editor" allows some basic editing capabilities.  A special
character bar across the top of the Edit Window makes for easier entering
of special HP 48 characters (eg drerivative,  sigma,  << >>,  etc) into
the application.

The Immediate Window is a special window in which the text that you enter
is immediately sent to the HP 48 for execution as HP 48 command lines.  After
executing the commands,  the HP 48 sends a copy of the stack back to the
PC to be displayed in the Immediate Window.  This window allows you to work
interactively with the HP 48.

On-Line Help is provided within the PDL application in a couple of ways:
 - there is help for the PDL commands
 - there is HP 48 reference information available

The Help for the HP 48 is a fairly extensive reference that includes scrolling
and copying.  It also has explicit or implicit links to other help info.

There is more but ...

Personally,  the PDL will make it very much easier for users to write and
document their HP 48 programs.

There have been many request from users for more development tools for the
HP 48SX from Corvallis.  Perhaps the Program Development Link is the
beginning of more to come from HP!

Graham Fraser
CocoNut => HalfNut => Titan => Orlando => Paladin => Charlemagne => ????

I do not work for Hewlett-Packard.  These comments are my own,  and do not
necessarily reflect those of Hewlett-Packard.

wscott@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Wayne H Scott) (01/07/91)

In article <2470007@hparc0.HP.COM> grahamf@hparc0.HP.COM (Graham Fraser) writes:

>PDL is an HP 48 User Language Development System for the IBM PC (and
>compatibles).  The primary aim of PDL is to assist HP48 users in writing,
>documenting,  running,  debugging,  and maintaining HP 48 applications.

I hope HP is also planning to put out a version for other computers as
well.  I have a Macintosh and would hate to miss out on this goodie.

Wayne Scott             |  INTERNET: wscott@ecn.purdue.edu
Electrical Engineering  |  BITNET:   wscott%ecn.purdue.edu@purccvm
Purdue University       |  UUCP:     purdue, pur-ee}!ecn.purdue.edu!wscott

cjl@uncecs.edu (Charles J. Lord) (01/07/91)

PDL sounds great - but is it my imagination or is this finally
what was advertised (but not included) with the serial cable?
The balderdash about writing software on your PC, running the
'48 from the PC keyboard, and seeing the results on the PC
screen is impractical - nay, rediculous under Kermit remote host
commands.  I bought my cable plus software back in August just for
this capability and was really ticked when I saw that the software
was severely limited (and available free on the BBS!).

Any marketing folks at Corvallis listening?  PDL should be offered
at little to no cost to anyone that purchased the cable with
software!

--
 *  Charles Lord               ..!decvax!mcnc!ecsvax!cjl  Usenet (old) *
 *  Cary, NC                   cjl@ecsvax.UUCP            Usenet (new) *

jfa0522@hertz.njit.edu (LabRatster) (01/07/91)

In article <1991Jan6.213140.12952@uncecs.edu> cjl@uncecs.edu (Charles J. Lord) writes:

>PDL sounds great - but is it my imagination or is this finally
>what was advertised (but not included) with the serial cable?
>commands.  I bought my cable plus software back in August just for
>this capability and was really ticked when I saw that the software
>was severely limited (and available free on the BBS!).
>
>Any marketing folks at Corvallis listening?  PDL should be offered
>at little to no cost to anyone that purchased the cable with
>software!
>--
> *  Charles Lord               ..!decvax!mcnc!ecsvax!cjl  Usenet (old) *

My sentiments exactly. Except, not only did I discover the "software" was
available free on the BBS, but the "software" was KERMIT which is available
less-than-free on my hard disk! All you had to do was tell me the 48had an implementation of KERMIT.... why all the hoopla about a PC interface??? C'mon...

As for the cable...you need the mating connector to make your own. As I wrote
on my customer service card...HP is *obligated* to supply a mating connector
with every HP48, in the box. This thing is a $350 hand-held instrument. Every
Chatillon, Ametek, Mitutoyo, etc... handheld I buy comes with a mating
connector *gratis*, and every *American* manaufacturer also includes the
necessary info about communication protocol utilized.

Seems like HP is letting customer relations take a nose dive.