[comp.sys.handhelds] Ack.. Or should I say gac

frechett@boulder.Colorado.EDU (-=Runaway Daemon=-) (01/05/91)

I want to know if anyone else just had to wade through 60 repeats of
old messages, apparently bounced off of handhelds@gac.com which seems to
be somehow tied to Apple and a couple braindead VMS machines.. You will know
what I mean if you had to go through 2-3 pages of headers before each actual
messages.  Anyone?

	ian
--

-=Runaway Daemon=-

bson@rice-chex.ai.mit.edu (Jan Brittenson) (01/05/91)

In a posting of [4 Jan 91 19:46:59 GMT]
   frechett@snoopy.Colorado.EDU (-=Runaway Daemon=-) writes:

 > I want to know if anyone else just had to wade through 60 repeats of
 > old messages, apparently bounced off of handhelds@gac.com

   Yeah, well `k' kills them all in `rn', since they all have the same
Subject.

   I think the problem is that qm.apple.com (or something at Apple
handling mail to QM) returns their errors to whoever is in the From:
field, not who (or what) is in the Sender: field, or Errors-To: (is
that a valid RFC822 field?)

I think the Vaxen are innocent. This time.

						-- Jan Brittenson
						   bson@ai.mit.edu

hp48sx@wuarchive.wustl.edu (HP48SX Archive Maintainer) (01/05/91)

I also got all the messages. The problems is that there is a gateway
for those with no news access. And then it is send with the address that
distributes to this list as sender. So a reply will be distributed here.

I hope the server can/gateway can be modified to check  the body of the
mail for those typical error messages, or check if the sender is the
postmaster on some machine, and if it is then only send them to /dev/nul

Povl H. Pedersen             hp48sx@wuarchive.wustl.edu
HP48sx archive maintainer

dan@gacvx2.gac.edu (01/05/91)

In article <1991Jan4.194659.22383@csn.org>, frechett@boulder.Colorado.EDU (-=Runaway Daemon=-) writes:

> I want to know if anyone else just had to wade through 60 repeats of
> old messages, apparently bounced off of handhelds@gac.com which seems to
> be somehow tied to Apple and a couple braindead VMS machines.. You will know
> what I mean if you had to go through 2-3 pages of headers before each actual
> messages.  Anyone?
>
> 	ian
> --
>
> -=Runaway Daemon=-

Good thing I caught the other 100 or so...  I have removed the offending
with a bidirectional gateway to the COMP.SYS.HANDHELDS newsgroup.  My VAXes say
that they are not responsible for the headers, although they are willing to
take some of the blaim for not removing them, and passing them into the
newsgroup.  Anybody have their handheld calculator doing e-mail or e-news yet?
:-)

--
Dan Boehlke                    Internet:  dan@gac.edu
Campus Network Manager         BITNET:    dan@gacvax1.bitnet

dan@gacvx2.gac.edu (01/05/91)

GOOD NEWS!!!!!  And thanks...

Thanks to the suggestions of several readers of COMP.SYS.HANDHELDS, and
HANDHELDS@GAC.EDU, I have modified the "mailing list<-->usenet" gateway to not
pass messages from the users SYSTEM, ROOT, MAILER, and POSTMASTER into the
newsgroup, they will be instead sent to the POSTMASTER@GAC.EDU.  Turns out it
was an easy fix, as the program I was using to impliment the gateway already
had the filtering built into it.  I just wasn't using it.  Turns out VAXes are
good for something after all :-).  Thanks again to the people who caused me to
think about it, even "winter@apple.com" who's messages have been bouncing back
and into the newsgroup.

--

gjf00@duts.ccc.amdahl.com (Gordon Freedman) (01/08/91)

In article <1991Jan4.194659.22383@csn.org> frechett@snoopy.Colorado.EDU (-=Runaway Daemon=-) writes:

>I want to know if anyone else just had to wade through 60 repeats of
>old messages, apparently bounced off of handhelds@gac.com which seems to
>be somehow tied to Apple and a couple braindead VMS machines.. You will know
>what I mean if you had to go through 2-3 pages of headers before each actual
>messages.  Anyone?
>
>	ian
>--
>
>-=Runaway Daemon=-

Yes. I have seen many of these.
--
Gordon Freedman: gjf00@duts.ccc.amdahl.com
Disclaimer: My opinions! Not my employers!