[comp.sys.handhelds] ARCHIVE CRASH

neil@kcl-cs.UUCP (Neil Faulks) (01/04/91)

Problem with ARCHIVE on HP48 ver D 128K RAM, Eq Lib Card

The last two times that I have done an Archive over RS232 the HP48 Has crashed.
The last time I was pretty sure I did not have the clock running.
I decided to put -40 CF into the program I run to do the archive. I tested
this by starting up an archive, and pressed ON when the "Connecting" message
appeared: THIS CAUSED THE "Try to recover memory" prompt to appear!
I said yes but my MAIN directory with 50k of stuff in it disappeared!
What's going on!!!

akcs.tasmith@hpcvbbs.UUCP (Ted A Smith) (01/09/91)

I too have a problem archiving over RS232 with both rev A and rev D
48SX.  I've posted 3 or 4 times to the HP BBS but have gotten no
responce.  I now just assume that it will fail and that I must reload
all of memory after any archive.  (A real drag, since I can't use
port 0 for anything not already on my PC.)

rrd@hpfcso.HP.COM (Ray Depew) (01/09/91)

In comp.sys.handhelds, akcs.tasmith@hpcvbbs.UUCP (Ted A Smith) writes:

> I too have a problem archiving over RS232 with both rev A and rev D
> 48SX.  I've posted 3 or 4 times to the HP BBS but have gotten no
> responce.  I now just assume that it will fail and that I must reload
> all of memory after any archive.  (A real drag, since I can't use
> port 0 for anything not already on my PC.)

Now, if it were me, this is one time when I'd take seriously the advice
on the inside back cover of TFM.  (They put it there so you could find
it quickly when you need it.)  I'm talking about the paragraphs which say:

"If you have questions about how to use the calculator, ... you can contact
the Calculator Support department [at] ... "

and

"If your calculator doesn't seem to work properly, ... mail it to the
                    ^^^^^^^ ^^^^ ^^ ^^^^ ^^^^^^^^
Corvallis Service Center [at] ... "

If you had problems with both your Rev. A and Rev. D calculator, then chances
are that something else is going on, and you should have a long talk with
somebody at HP about it, rather than just assume you're always going to have
to live with  the problem.  Significantly, some people never have trouble
archiving.  The only time I had a problem was shortly before I got the
"LowBat(S)" warning.   -- yes, on my Rev. A, which I will not give up unless
you shoot me first.

Sorry about the condescending tone.  I'm speaking as an HP customer, not
an employee.

BTW, the phone numbers are:

(503)757-2004   Support ( 8 am - 3 pm PST/PDT  M-F )
(503)757-2002   Service (no hours given)

---
Regards
Ray Depew
rrd@hpfitst1.hp.com

akcs.joehorn@hpcvbbs.UUCP (Joseph K. Horn) (01/14/91)

Ray Depew: Why your devotion to rev A?  Should I keep mine, or allow it
to be turned into soylent green next month, as scheduled?
-- Joe Horn -- Peripheral Vision, Ltd. --

rrd@hpfcso.HP.COM (Ray Depew) (01/15/91)

In comp.sys.handhelds, akcs.joehorn@hpcvbbs.UUCP (Joseph K. Horn) writes:

>    Ray Depew: Why your devotion to rev A?  Should I keep mine, or allow it
>    to be turned into soylent green next month, as scheduled?
>    -- Joe Horn -- Peripheral Vision, Ltd. --

Irrational reason:  I worked my tail off to earn it, and I'm kind of
sentimentally attached to it.  I may buy a later revision one day.

Rational reason:  I'm doing some third-party software development and writing
for the 48, and I want to make sure my code works on all revisions.  I'm
making the (dangerous) assumption that if it works on Rev.A, it'll work on
any revision.  I can't assume that the reverse is true.

Besides, I might "one day "find a good use for some of the Rev.A bugs and other
unintentional features.  My favorite:  the one where you can cause the ticking
clock to be displayed inside your grob. If the grob is bigger than 131x64,
when you use { # r # c } PVIEW to look at different parts of it, the clock
stays anchored around the grob's { # 62d # 5d }pixel location.

Regards
Ray