[comp.sys.handhelds] Astronauts using HP calculators in space

frank@grep.co.uk (Frank Wales) (01/03/91)

[I've directed follow-ups to comp.sys.handhelds.]

In article <9809@as0c.sei.cmu.edu> mcp@sei.cmu.edu (Mark Paulk) writes:
>HP gave some astronauts calculators as a PR gimmick.
>They included a simple orbital calculation program.
>The calculators were more powerful than the onboard Shuttle computers,
>so the astronauts started carrying them into space as unofficial backups.
>NASA eventually started issuing calculators as offical issue.

This is a somewhat unlikely story based on actual facts.  :-)  For example,
it's hardly likely that HP could write software for NASA as a PR gimmick
that was better than that already in use for the flights.  But anyway...

According to the Jan-Apr 1981 issue of HP Key Notes, the first flight
of Columbia had two HP-41Cs on board, each dedicated to performing a
particular task:

  + "Acquisition of Signal", which ran continually from launch, displaying
  the name of the next available ground station, when it would be in
  contact, for how long, and which frequency it used; and

  + "Center of Gravity", which was used to balance the shuttle's fuel
  distribution before re-entry, and was termed flight-critical by NASA.

The article implies that NASA was the prime mover in getting the calculators
on board, and held comparative trials between different models before
deciding on the HP-41, mainly for its large memory capacity and alphanumeric
display.  All the software was written by NASA.

The March-May 1982 issue contains further information, including the
statement that the two machines used on board Columbia were purchased by
NASA over the counter in Houston.  By that time, their use had expanded
somewhat: one was still running the AoS program; the other was being
used as an electronic secretary, reminding the astronauts of chores with
alarms and messages, in addition to being available to compute de-orbit burns,
run the CoG program, and pin-point Earth observation sites.
--
Frank Wales, Grep Limited,             [frank@grep.co.uk<->uunet!grep!frank]
Kirkfields Business Centre, Kirk Lane, LEEDS, UK, LS19 7LX. (+44) 532 500303

rrd@hpfcso.HP.COM (Ray Depew) (01/08/91)

re:  HP's in spa-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-c-e

> The article implies that NASA was the prime mover in getting the calculators
> on board, and held comparative trials between different models before
> deciding on the HP-41, mainly for its large memory capacity and alphanumeric
> display.  All the software was written by NASA.

Even better than that:  The astronauts wanted some kind of HHC on the first
flight of [name that shuttle!], and their boss asked them what the wanted.
Their response was something like "I dunno," so the boss gave them some petty
cash and sent them to yer typical Houston calculator store.

They went in, incognito, and asked the salesman for his best scientific
calculator -- hardly a specific request.  He pulled a 41 out of the display
case and launched (sorry about that) into his sales pitch.  When he was done,
the guys said "We'll take two," paid for them and walked out.

(In fairness, they looked at the TI-59, too, but the competitive evaluation
was done right there in the store, and the poor TI didn't stand a chance.
Maybe against an HP-67, but not a 41.)

According to PERSONAL COMPUTING, Oct/Nov 1984, p. 51, the 41's were originally
intended to be general-purpose number crunchers.  It wasn't until after the
astronauts and ground crew started learning how to use them that NASA realized
what they really had in their hands.  That's when the AOS and other programs
were built.

The flying 41's were only slightly different from the earthbound versions.
-	The expansion ports and the AC adapter port were welded shut, to
	minimize the risk of ESD frying the calc's innards.
-	The little rubber footies (yes, that's the scientific term) were
	removed, as the rubber tended to outgas in the rarified atmosphere of
	the shuttle, posing a slight fire hazard.
-	Velcro was glued everywhere but on the sides of the calculators, so
	that they would obey the commands "SIT" and "STAY" in the
	weightlessness of space.
-	The only customization performed by HP was that a prototype of the
	HP-41 Timer Module was installed in each calculator.  (I guess you
	could say that NASA beta-tested the Timer Module.)
-	Somebody (HP? NASA?) put a louder beeper inside an empty card-reader
	case and installed this custom speaker on one of the 41's.

The PERSONAL COMPUTING article shows a picture of three 41's floating next
to a console in the shuttle, with Sally Ride floating alongside them.

--
Regards
Ray

ags@seaman.cc.purdue.edu (Dave Seaman) (01/09/91)

In article <7360039@hpfcso.HP.COM> rrd@hpfcso.HP.COM (Ray Depew) writes:
>re:  HP's in spa-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-c-e

The HP-41 was far from being the first handheld calculator in space.  Apollo
astronauts used HP-65's, with magnetic cards and a whole flock of charged
battery packs.  It may have been the later Apollo flights, or it may have been
Skylab.  Obviously, HP-65's did not exist yet at the time of the first moon
flight.  I remember seeing a picture of astronauts changing batteries in
space, but I don't remember who first proposed the idea.

Dave Seaman
--
Dave Seaman
ags@seaman.cc.purdue.edu

dts@STRATUS.COM (Daniel Senie) (01/15/91)

HP had an article in the HP41 user library newsletter back in the early
80's. They made a really big deal about it. Someone out in Corvallis is
likely to still have a copy of that floating around...

--
Daniel Senie               UUCP: uunet!lectroid!dts
Stratus Computer, Inc.     ARPA: dts@lectroid.sw.stratus.com

garys@hpfcso.HP.COM (Gary Stringham) (01/16/91)

The IMAX movie, "The Dream is Alive," had a shot where the 41's were
seen on the console.

Gary "Love them HP Calculators" Stringham

peraino@gmuvax.gmu.edu (01/17/91)

>From:	edu%"handhelds@gac.edu" 16-JAN-1991 09:25:10.25

>HP had an article in the HP41 user library newsletter back in the early
>80's. They made a really big deal about it. Someone out in Corvallis is
>likely to still have a copy of that floating around...

     I know I still have my copy. I think in the same issue, they have
a picture of a 41 on a table, with 80 digital cassette drives connected
via IL, for library distribution.

peraino@gmuvax.gmu.edu