[comp.sys.handhelds] Numbers on screen and tokens

akcs.falco@hpcvbbs.UUCP (Andrey Dolgachev) (01/20/91)

Ok, a couple of questions.
  First of all, does anyone know what those little numbers on the screen
which appear after tetris, database, or rolodex?  After playing the first
partial machine code version of tetris, I would get a little "1" or "2"
on the top of the screen, aprox. in the middle.  I haven't had this
happen for a while until today.  After using the rolodex posted recently
in c.s.h, I got a little "1" again.  It stayed on, even when I turned the
HP off.  I went to the graph screen, and it went out, but went back on
when went back to the stack display.  Also, I started up tetris,
and of course it dissapeared.  When I interrupted the program, the 1 went
out a split second after I went back to the stack.  All of the above
suggest that it is an annuciator like the RAD or angle indicators.
O.K., I just got it again, to repeat the procedure:  I started up the
phonemanager 1.3 or so which was posted up on c.s.h in the last day.  I
then pressed SRCH, entered * as the field, then  NEXT, PREV. The program
then bombed (BTW, that's another matter) I then pressed the attention
key, and what ho, there it was, along with the HALT alert.  I then
pressed exit, and the HL
and the HALT dissapeared, leaving the "1".  Anyways, anybody have any
ideas on what it is.  (Or I am missing something and I am going to look
very stupid very soon?!)

Second of all, in the Nickel's Internals I
hmm, this is the second time that happended, must be a bad connection..
anyways, ...Internals List there is mention of tokens.  Exactly what are
they.  I guess that they are used like the Tokens in the token-ring
network for computers, to control instructions , but I'm not sure.
Well, if anybody has any thought on the above, please feel free to
answer.

                ----Falco----

akcs.gandalf@hpcvbbs.UUCP (Rakkiat Trimahaloek) (01/20/91)

The little "1" to "5" annuciator in the status line is USER flag
status. Detail can be found in Owner's Manual page 516.

Rakkiat
internet: trimahal@chaph.usc.edu

rob@ireta.wimsey.bc.ca (Rob Prior) (01/21/91)

akcs.falco@hpcvbbs.UUCP (Andrey Dolgachev) writes:

>   First of all, does anyone know what those little numbers on the screen
> which appear after tetris, database, or rolodex?  After playing the first
> partial machine code version of tetris, I would get a little "1" or "2"
> on the top of the screen, aprox. in the middle.

It's a flag annunciator.  Set flags 1-5 to light them all up, clear flags
1-5 to shut them off.  Kinda neat, but I couldn't findany documentation on
them in the manuals... (no, really? :)

> Second of all, in the Nickel's Internals List there is mention of tokens.
> Exactly what are they.  I guess that they are used like the Tokens in the
> token-ring network for computers, to control instructions , but I'm not
> sure.

No idea, sorry!  Anyone else?

Rob

akcs.falco@hpcvbbs.UUCP (Andrey Dolgachev) (01/21/91)

Well, thanks, I gues I did end up looking stupid.  Maybe I should read
more of the manual sometime.  Anyways, anybody know what those tokens
are, at least I know those aren't in the manual.  BTW, sorry Derek, I
meant Derek Nickels list, not Dennis Nickel's.
                              ---Falco

akcs.dnickel@hpcvbbs.UUCP (Derek S. Nickel) (01/22/91)

Falco,

I picked up the term 'token' from Pete Wilson.  Since it has at least two
possable meanings (for a '48), I am not really happy with it.

1)  In statements like "save last RPL token":  A token is the "COMMAND".

2)  In statements like "skip next token" or "do next token":  A token is
an object (Real Number, Program, Graphic, etc).

I plan to rename these comments in Voyager V1.0-6

        Derek S. Nickel

vaps0pb@prism.gatech.edu (01/22/91)

....Phillip Bridges
vaps0pb@prism.gatech.edu