[comp.sys.handhelds] HP41 to HP48 transfers

NU123952@VM1.NoDak.EDU (Mark A. Ordal) (01/23/91)

I tried sending mail directly to Christopher Jelinek at his UUCP address
but that didn't work.  Since this might be of interest to list, I'm
posting it directly to <handhelds.gac.edu>.

The "Serial Interface Kit" includes an HP48SX program called INPRT.
The INPRT program captures IR printer output from the 28C, 28S, 42S,
or the HP41 IR Printer Module.  The transferred information ends up as
a quoted string on the HP48 stack.  If what you received was an HP28
program, you can edit out the line breaks (little square boxes on the
screen), get rid of the quotes and save it under some name.  You've
then got a working program for the 48.  (Assuming of course that the
HP28 program wasn't doing anything HP28 specific.)

To run HP41 programs on the HP48, you need the HP41 Emulator Card
which lists at $100 and discounts (in Elek-Tek) to about $72.  According
to what I've read about it, you don't need to do ANY editting of the
transferred program.

I have an HP41CX, HP28S, and an HP48SX but I don't have either the
HP41 Emulator for the 48SX nor do I have the IR Printer Module for my
41CX.  However, I have successfully transferred programs from my 28S
to the 48SX.  They've run fine after the editting I mentioned earlier.

               Dr. Mark A. Ordal
               Physics Department
               North Dakota State University
               Fargo, ND 58105
               NU123952@NDSUVM1

cloos@acsu.buffalo.edu (James H. Cloos) (01/23/91)

Someplace in the past, someone had mention of access to conectors for
the 48 to normal rs232.  I was wondering, as I lost my 48 cable, and
as someone here offered to make me a cable is I could provide
connectors for us for the 48 side, if someone out there could provide
me with info to 48sx to rs232 db-9 connectors.

Cost is really not much of an object, though I would prefer to pay
less than $35 for a replacement.

Any info is appreciated.

-JimC
--
James H. Cloos, Jr.		Phone:  +1 716 673-1250
cloos@ACSU.Buffalo.EDU		Snail:  PersonalZipCode:  14048-0772, USA

akcs.falco@hpcvbbs.UUCP (Andrey Dolgachev) (01/24/91)

Dr. Mark A. Ordal writes:
> he INPRT program captures IR printer output from the 28C, 28S, 42S,
> or the HP41 IR Printer Module.  The transferred information ends up as
> a quoted string on the HP48 stack.  If what you received was an HP28
> program, you can edit out the line breaks (little square boxes on the
> screen), get rid of the quotes and save it under some name.  You've
> then got a working program for the 48.  (Assuming of course that the
> HP28 program wasn't doing anything HP28 specific.)

Well, to make it easier, all you have to do is OBJ\-> to change the
string into whatever object was in it.  In other words, it removes the
strings and keeps the line breaks (which you need, or at least can use to
make the program more than one line, like it was originally)