[comp.sys.handhelds] Ack

frechett@spot.Colorado.EDU (-=Runaway Daemon=-) (01/22/91)

In article <10393@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> bgribble@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Bill Gribble) writes:
>On a less sour note - well, more sour but in a different way:  I just ordered
>  my *third* hp48 from educalc, the second (like the first) having been
>  stolen by someone, I'm sure, who needed it more than I :-(, along with
>  all my clothing and the majority of my other worldly posessions.  Do I have
>  a record yet?
I think that you do.. This would piss me off to no end.. It sounds like it is
about time to get a big chain and a lock and keep it locked to sometthing when
you aren't using it.  Hmmm maybe the next hp will have a nice loop molded into
the case, reinforced with steel, so that you can lock up your hp.
Was just thinking about what I have spent in the direction my hp48sx.
$300 hp48sx
$149 128K RAM card
$19  Donnelly Handbook
$10 Materials for 5 serial cables.
That puts it at $473 (only two cables) dollars that I carry in my pack worth of
Calculator shit. Of course, I have a hp28s and a hp22s too, but that is
beside the point.  I have spent some time trying to figure out what one
can do to make someone not want to steal your calc and I can't really think of
anything less than maybe a motion sensor and/or electric shocker.. ;)
...... Hmm nice calculator.. nobody looking.... ZAAAAPPPP!!!!... clunk.
The questios is what do you do with them when you find them passed out.
Ah well.  Hope you don't keep setting records.

>**   Bill Gribble                     Harvey Mudd College, Claremont, CA   **
>**   bgribble@jarthur.claremont.edu   Never heard of it?  You're stupid.   **

	ian
--

-=Runaway Daemon=-

rrd@hpfcso.HP.COM (Ray Depew) (01/23/91)

From bgribble@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Bill Gribble):

>On a less sour note - well, more sour but in a different way:  I just ordered
>  my *third* hp48 from educalc, the second (like the first) having been
>  stolen by someone, I'm sure, who needed it more than I :-(, along with
>  all my clothing and the majority of my other worldly posessions.  Do I have
>  a record yet?

Man, that's tough.  Seriously.  When the 41's first came out, with their huge
long cases, they were VERY conspicuous (especially when hanging on some EE's
belt :-).  Tons of them got stolen just because the case was easy to recognize.
When I got mine, I kept it in my fake-blue-denim factory-issue TI-30 case.
Nobody EVER steals a TI-30!

Maybe you could find an ugly, generic case to keep your next 48 in?  Or cut up
a pair of blue jeans and make an ugly bag for it?

Sorry to hear about your misfortunes.
Well, that's another way to get the new ROM revisions...
Ray
rrd@hpfitst1.hp.com
--------

akcs.falco@hpcvbbs.UUCP (Andrey Dolgachev) (01/23/91)

Isak Swahn writes
>The problem for many people seems to be that they:
>1) don't have access to ASC->
>2) got other problems with downlowding programs

well, I can't help with #2, that depends on the situation, but ASC-> will
be posted on user.programs at hpcvbbs and I will repost it very soon, in
the meantime check the messge on INPRT documentation of OCT 11, 1990, or
message 872 if on hpcvbbs.  It seems that there is a high enough level of
demand for it to be reposted on comp.sys.

Isak also writes:
> In my opinion, any type of source code for games to
> either the 48 or any other calculator/computer is
> not very interesting. Most people just want to play
> the games, not analyze them. If you want to study
> the source, e.g. because you want to learn how to
> program, the source could instead be available at
> hpbbs. If not available there, the author might
> help you to get the source.
>
> Why not just post the file in a format that can be
> read directly. It is enough for one person to run
> ASC-> on a program. . .

Well, the problem with the HP is that there is really aren't too many
ways to post something up on c.s.h.  It has got to be text, and since not
everyone has uuencode or asc->, it is simpler to leave it in text form.
I'm not sure if Isaac was referring to my program or not, but I did not
leave in "source form", there is no documentation for it  at all.  The
format that is can be read directly is what I gues Isaac refers to as
"source, " i.e. the text form.  The reason that I only ->ASC the two
machine -code routines, for which it is necessary, is that it takes too
much time on both sides to ->ASC the entire dir.  Personally, I have not
had any problems with d/l files from c.s.h.  All I do is copy the text
from the screen into a file (or at least my mac does) and then transfer
into my HP which converts, strips documentation, etc.  Then, if ASC is
necessary I do it.  I think that the format we use now works great, and
it is really the only one we have, unless we FTP.
               __Falco

rob@ireta.cynic.wimsey.bc.ca (Rob Prior) (01/24/91)

rrd@hpfcso.HP.COM (Ray Depew) writes:

> From bgribble@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Bill Gribble):
>
> >On a less sour note - well, more sour but in a different way:  I just ordere
> >  my *third* hp48 from educalc, the second (like the first) having been
> >  stolen by someone, I'm sure, who needed it more than I :-(, along with
> >  all my clothing and the majority of my other worldly posessions.  Do I hav
> >  a record yet?
>
> Maybe you could find an ugly, generic case to keep your next 48 in?  Or cut u
> a pair of blue jeans and make an ugly bag for it?

Actually, I just found a quite nice replacement case for my 48sx.
(the stock zipper case isn't big enough to hold my sx and the
reference book and my chequebook, etc. all at once :).  If there
is one in your area, check out Eddie Bauer (an outdoors outfitters
store).  They sell two camera cases called COMPACT CAMERA CASE I
and (you guessed it :) COMPACT CAMERA CASE II.  They are about .25"
too short for the sx when you buy it, but if you strech the closing
flap a bit over the sx the first time you put it in, and leave it for
a while, the flap stretches enough to close properly.  Both have pockets
on the front big enough to store all your application cards, your car
keys, your wallet, etc.  Only $25 here for CASE I.  CASE II is about
an inch wider than the sx, room enough for liquid paper, erasers, etc.
to fit beside your precious calc.

Hope this helps someone... ;)
Rob