[comp.sys.handhelds] GATEWAY-48 codelock program testing

erikmb@cd.chalmers.se (Erik Bryntse) (12/12/90)

GATEWAY-48

I have written a code-lock program for the HP48SX with the
following features:

- Security. There are only two ways to start the calculator when
GATEWAY-48 is enabled. Either you key in the correct 4-digit code,
or you take out the batteries and wait until the calculator memory
is empty!

- Easy to use. Everything you need is contained in one library
which installs itself. A function is provided which uninstalls
GATEWAY-48. The OFF key can easily be redefined.

- Versatility. You can change the code as often as you like. A
personal startup message is possible ie "Belongs to XXYY"

I need help to test this program before I release it! If you are
not afraid of memory lost and would like to help me with this,
please send me a mail. State the version of your HP48SX in the
mail.

Thank You!

Erik Bryntse / SHPRF

erikmb@cd.chalmers.se

akcs.davemarsh@hpcvbbs.UUCP (DAVID J. MARSH) (12/13/90)

Hey, I'd like to help you out on this one!  My name is David Marsh, and
you can reach me by voice telephone (714)568-5315. Please call in the
evening (Pacific Standard Time).  I have a rev 'E' machine with both
sizes of RAM and ROM cards, and I have been having a few ideas on this
subject myself...

akcs.falco@hpcvbbs.UUCP (Andrey Dolgachev) (12/21/90)

Sounds like fun, I wouldn't mind being one of your testers, since I need
this kind of a program myself.
  -- Andrey Dolgachev
     voice:  (313)-663-6798
      Falco on HP Corailis bbs

akcs.frhal@hpcvbbs.UUCP (Richard S. Page) (12/22/90)

If you need any more testers count me in, I have a Rev 'E' model and
I would be willing to test what ever you have.

    Richard S. Page
    voice (Work) (617) 894-0650 x329  8:00am - 5:00pm East Cost Time.
     FrHal on HP BBS

jmorriso@ee.ubc.ca (John Paul Morrison) (12/22/90)

In article <9012121533.AA06857@cd.chalmers.se>, erikmb@cd.chalmers.se
(Erik Bryntse) writes:

> - Security. There are only two ways to start the calculator when
> GATEWAY-48 is enabled. Either you key in the correct 4-digit code,
> or you take out the batteries and wait until the calculator memory
> is empty!
..
> Erik Bryntse / SHPRF
>
> erikmb@cd.chalmers.se

Or maybe taking out the top left(from the back) HP48 rubber foot, and
sticking a pin in the
hole to do a "hard" reset.

EBERBERS%yubgef51@pucc.PRINCETON.EDU (____ Zarko Berberski ____) (12/25/90)

>> - Security. There are only two ways to start the calculator when
>> GATEWAY-48 is enabled. Either you key in the correct 4-digit code,
>> or you take out the batteries and wait until the calculator memory
>> is empty!
>..
>> Erik Bryntse / SHPRF
>>
>> erikmb@cd.chalmers.se
>

>Or maybe taking out the top left(from the back) HP48 rubber foot, and
>sticking a pin in the
>hole to do a "hard" reset.

      First of all, I wouldn't call it "hard" since it doesn't
destroy anything - ON-A-F can be much "harder".

ox{{      Second, codelock program has been verified not to let
{i{{kO      user in even if he uses back-reset-button.

            Zarko Berberski           EBERBERS@YUBGEF51.bitnet

rrd@hpfcso.HP.COM (Ray Depew) (12/30/90)

>Or maybe taking out the top left(from the back) HP48 rubber foot, and
>sticking a pin in the
>hole to do a "hard" reset.

... I wouldn't call it a "hard" reset, more like a defibrillator port.
When the calculator's heart starts spazzing out, you can stick a ThinkJet
repriming tool in this hole to restore the heart's natural rhythm without
amnesia (usually).

I don't speak for HP.

Regards
Ray Depew
IC's by Bill and Dave
rrd@hpfitst1.hp.com

bill@videovax.tv.tek.com (William K. McFadden) (01/01/91)

Sorry for the interruption, but I seemed to miss the original posting
of this program due to the holiday and my system's short expire times.
Would somebody please mail me a copy?  Thanks.
--
Bill McFadden    Tektronix, Inc.  P.O. Box 500  MS 58-639  Beaverton, OR  97077
bill@videovax.tv.tek.com,     {hplabs,uw-beaver,decvax}!tektronix!videovax!bill

frank@grep.co.uk (Frank Wales) (01/03/91)

In article <7360033@hpfcso.HP.COM> rrd@hpfcso.HP.COM (Ray Depew) writes:
>When the calculator's heart starts spazzing out, you can stick a ThinkJet
>repriming tool in this hole to restore the heart's natural rhythm without
>amnesia (usually).

I wasn't aware that amnesia is a common complication of cardiac
fibrillation.  But that's not important right now...

As far as I am concerned, the canonical reset doodah is a straightened-out
paper-clip.  ThinkJet repriming tool indeed.  It'll be on the corporate
price list next:

  HP 82237A  HP 48SX de-spazzing tool                         $9.95 (pack of 3)
  HP 82237AF HP 48SX de-spazzing tool (Spanish documentation) $9.95 (pack of 3)
  HP 82238A  HP 48SX de-spazzing toolkit (wallet+5 tools)    $29.95
             Option 001 deletes the tools                    -$9.95
	     Option 010 adds mustard (oops, sorry, wrong HP price list)

After all, if people will pay $2.50 for a zip-lock bag, who knows
what they'll pay for a precision-engineered piece of wire?
--
Frank Wales, Grep Limited,             [frank@grep.co.uk<->uunet!grep!frank]
Kirkfields Business Centre, Kirk Lane, LEEDS, UK, LS19 7LX. (+44) 532 500303

rrd@hpfcso.HP.COM (Ray Depew) (01/08/91)

In a delicious piece of satire, frank@grep.co.uk (Frank Wales) responds:

> In article <7360033@hpfcso.HP.COM> rrd@hpfcso.HP.COM (Ray Depew) writes:
>>When the calculator's heart starts spazzing out, you can stick a ThinkJet
>>repriming tool in this hole to restore the heart's natural rhythm without
>>amnesia (usually).

>As far as I am concerned, the canonical reset doodah is a straightened-out
>paper-clip.  ThinkJet repriming tool indeed.  It'll be on the corporate
>price list next:

[ etc.  -- you have to read it to really enjoy it ]

>--
>Frank Wales, Grep Limited,             [frank@grep.co.uk<->uunet!grep!frank]
>Kirkfields Business Centre, Kirk Lane, LEEDS, UK, LS19 7LX. (+44) 532 500303
>----------

I used to keep a straightened-out paper clip taped to the inside of the front
panel on my ThinkJet and QuietJet at work.  I always wondered why HP didn't
include a molded-in holder for a paper clip, since it was extremely useful.

I haven't had to defib my Rev.A HP-48SX yet.  Either I'm lucky, or careful,
or I know all the tricks.  I vote for (a) or (b).

regards to Frank
Ray
address & disclaimer on file elsewhere

akcs.waterman@hpcvbbs.UUCP (Jason Todd Waterman) (01/25/91)

Hi,

I'm curious about how you disabled the ON-A-F key sequence.  Could you
please pass me on some details as to how you accomplished this?
I am  also willing to try your program out on my Version D.