[comp.sys.handhelds] ASC utility, posting, accessability

peraino@gmuvax2.gmu.edu (Bob Peraino) (01/25/91)

>From:	edu%"handhelds@gac.edu" 22-JAN-1991 22:32:39.74

>Well, the problem with the HP is that there is really aren't too many
>ways to post something up on c.s.h.  It has got to be text, and since not
>everyone has uuencode or asc->, it is simpler to leave it in text form.

     That's not a problem with HP; it's not even a problem with usenet,
considering that we're using a UNIX(tm) network to transfer non-UNIX(tm)
stuff. What would be more universal would be true uuencode/uudecode running
on the '48. How big and bad can that be, considering it's functionally
the same as ASC? This would make "encoded" postings more easily accessible;
you can decode on the '48, but if you don't have the '48 version, you could
decode on your UNIX system. Besides, if an "encoded" posting is big
enough, you might be forced to decode offline (off the '48) simply
because you might not be able to fit the encoded form on the machine.
Now some people might say, "but what if you don't have a UNIX(tm) machine?"
Well, what I mean by "more easily accessible" is, if we use ASC and you
don't have it, you have 0 options. If it's in uuencode form and you
don't have it for the '48, you have 1 option.
     I can venture a guess as to why Dr. Wickes didn't write uuencode to
start; if he didn't off-hand know how uuencode was encoding, it was probably
infinitely faster for him to just write his own.

>               __Falco

peraino@gmuvax.gmu.edu

cloos@acsu.buffalo.edu (James H. Cloos) (01/26/91)

In article <3289@gmuvax2.gmu.edu> peraino@gmuvax2.gmu.edu (Bob Peraino) writes:
[stuff del'ed]
>...    What would be more universal would be true uuencode/uudecode running
>on the '48. How big and bad can that be, considering it's functionally
>the same as ASC? This would make "encoded" postings more easily accessible;
>you can decode on the '48, but if you don't have the '48 version, you could
>decode on your UNIX system....
[stuff del'ed]
>peraino@gmuvax.gmu.edu

What rfc is it that explains the uuencoding scheme?  I really don't
think that it would be exceptionally difficult to do it, though it
will be larger that ASC\-> given that the crc (there IS one, isn't
there?) will have to be written in, rather than using the builtin
Kermit crc algorithm.

I'd be willing to try my hand at converting uudecode to the 48, though
it may take a while; it would surely make a good programming exercise.

-JimC
--
James H. Cloos, Jr.		Phone:  +1 716 673-1250
cloos@ACSU.Buffalo.EDU		Snail:  PersonalZipCode:  14048-0772, USA