[comp.sys.handhelds] Handheld supercomputer

graeme@grep.co.uk (Graeme Cawsey) (01/23/91)

So you want a portable computer with some 'serious' computing power?
Try this one for size.

The Royal Signals and Radar Establishment in the UK have developed a
handheld (:-) capable of 200 (yes, that's two hundred) MIPS.  The
machine, called Mousetrap, is the size of a ream of A4 paper, weighs
under 2kg and runs on batteries.  It has a 12.5cm colour LCD, what looks
like a 2 * 32 character LCD, a keypad and again what looks like 2
communication ports.  The Mousetrap is based around 16 Inmos T800
transputers, each with 256K of SRAM (total 4Mb), placed directly onto a
ceramic substrate.  There is no operating system as such, but the
Mousetrap runs applications written in occam from EPROM.

Graeme Cawsey	(graeme@grep.co.uk)
Grep Ltd., Kirkfields Business Centre, Kirk Lane, Leeds, UK, LS19 7LX
Tel: +44 532 500303

akcs.kevin@hpcvbbs.UUCP (Kevin Jessup) (01/27/91)

When can I buy one?

graeme@grep.co.uk (Graeme Cawsey) (01/28/91)

In article <16399@accuvax.nwu.edu> kaufman@delta.eecs.nwu.edu (Michael L. Kaufman) writes:
>In article <1991Jan22.203929.19468@grep.co.uk> graeme@rainbow.grep.uucp.co.uk (Graeme Cawsey) writes:
>>The machine, called Mousetrap,....
>
>Graeme, I am sure there are a lot of us out here who would like more information
>on this.  Could you post a company name and address?
>
>Michael

As I said in my original article the machine has been developed by RSRE which
is part of the British Army.  I found out about it in an article in a UK
magazine called "Computing Equipment" (Dec 90 / Jan 91 edition).  At the
moment I know no more about it than I have already said.  I have sent in a
bingo card reply slip but as yet have received nothing.  As soon as I do you
can rest assured that I will let you all know.