[comp.sys.handhelds] Problem dowloading to HP-48sx

roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu (Roy Smith) (01/30/91)

	Something wierd happend to me last night.  I was trying to download
the latest version of Tom Metcalf's celestial nav program to my 48sx.  I
did what I usually do, put it on a Macintosh floppy at work, then brought
the floppy home and downloaded it from my Mac Plus to the 48sx using Mac
Kermit (version 0.9-something-or-other).  I've never had any trouble with
this before.

	I put the 48 in server mode and sent the file at 9600 bps.  All
went well until I got to the very end.  The Mac said the file was sent
correctly, but the packet count was two higher than what the 48 said the
packet count was (something like 279 vs. 281), and the calculator just
hung.  Hitting ATTN didn't do anything; it just sat there with the
hourglass logo on and the packet count staying the same.  Meanwhile, the
Mac tried sending a few more retries until it timed out.  Much later (a
couple of minutes) the calculator timed out too, and no file had been
transferred.  I tried a couple of times, with different combinations of
kermit settings (mostly different types of checksums) but had essentially
the same result each time.  Anybody have any idea what I might have done
wrong?  I've never seen it hang in a way that ATTN won't interupt a kermit
transfer.  I thought I had crashed it and was getting ready to take out the
batteries to see if that would fix it.
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016
roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu -OR- {att,cmcl2,rutgers,hombre}!phri!roy
"Arcane?  Did you say arcane?  It wouldn't be Unix if it wasn't arcane!"

metcalf@akala.ifa.hawaii.edu (Tom Metcalf) (01/30/91)

roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu writes:

> Something wierd happend to me last night.  I was trying to download
> the latest version of Tom Metcalf's celestial nav program to my 48sx.  I
> did what I usually do, put it on a Macintosh floppy at work, then brought
> the floppy home and downloaded it from my Mac Plus to the 48sx using Mac
> Kermit (version 0.9-something-or-other).  I've never had any trouble with
> this before.

I have encountered this as well.  I thought it was just my copy of
c-kermit on my Sun 3/60 but apparently not.  I don't know what the
problem is, but I found that if I put an empty object (ie '') at the very end
of the file being transferred all was well.

I am not an expert in these matters.  Has anyone else experienced these
difficulties?  Is it a problem with my nav program or with kermit?  I
can't see how it could be the nav program since it was sent directly
from the 48SX and is not binary or anything, but ...

> I thought I had crashed it and was getting ready to take out the
> batteries to see if that would fix it.
> --

Try ON-C before taking the batteries out!  It should terminate  the
transfer.

TNAN0@CCVAX.IASTATE.EDU (01/30/91)

I have seen my HP hang for up to 5 minutes when downloading HUGE
ASCII files...  It takes the HP awhile to convert these...   It hung ONCE
(apparently I did not have enough memory to hold both the ASCII and BINARY
versions at the same time, so it could not convert...)  I do not know if
this is REALLY what happened, but that has been my experience...

---Xeno