[comp.sys.handhelds] Cable problems

c_s244010117@stat.appstate.edu (02/03/91)

I have been playing around with the idea of making my own cable for a while,
and finally decided to go for it. I followed suggestions listed on the HP BBS
and on comp.sys.handhelds and now have a cable - unfortunately I can't get it
to work. I am using PC Kermit 3.01, and I have followed all the pin
assignments listed in the I/O guide (including hooking CTS to RTS to try to
fool Kermit- not listed in the I/O guide)! I have tried the serial loopback
test and that works fine. If I short pins 1 & 2 or 3 & 4 (which the manual
says will not harm the calculator) I don't get the U_LB 00001 or U_LB 00002
that the manual says I will get - I get U_LB 20000. Is there something wrong
with my serial port? Also, when trying to send a file, I get a Transfer Failed
after 1 retry! (the manual says this message appears after 10 retries) Does
anyone have any idea what is going on??!?!?!? Anyone else had similar problems?

                                William

egraeler@uceng.UC.EDU (Eric S Graeler) (02/05/91)

In article <397.27ab1ec7@stat.appstate.edu>, c_s244010117@stat.appstate.edu writes:
> I have been playing around with the idea of making my own cable for a while,
> and finally decided to go for it. I followed suggestions listed on the HP BBS
> and on comp.sys.handhelds and now have a cable - unfortunately I can't get it
> to work. I am using PC Kermit 3.01, and I have followed all the pin

> after 1 retry! (the manual says this message appears after 10 retries) Does
> anyone have any idea what is going on??!?!?!? Anyone else had similar problems?
>
>                                 William

I made mine out of some scotch tape and ripped apart female connecters.
Works fine, was able to play tetris.  Maybe your baud rates are not matched.

Eric Graeler
egraeler@uceng.uc.edu