[comp.sys.handhelds] Upgrading/Warranty Card...

sqh@dhw68k.cts.com (Steve Hubbell) (12/31/90)

Reading all of this information on the upgrade offer, I realize
that I never sent in the warranty information!

If I can find it, is it too late to send it in (I got the calc.
approx. 6 months ago), or can I call HP and get put on "the list"?

Thanks...  Steve

|      Steve Hubbell                          sqh@dhw68k.cts.com            |

akcs.ciarn@hpcvbbs.UUCP (Dan Ciarniello) (01/21/91)

Ten days?  Don't ask for any sympathy from me.  I sent my calculator in
before Christmas and I'm still waiting for my replacement.  I called
HP and was told that they got it January 8.  I expect that my replacement
will arrive in the mail sometime this coming week.

I believe that there are two upgrade programs.  One for versions
lower than D to E and one for upgrades from version D to E.  My
calculator was a version D calculator and it qualified for and upgrade.
Dan.

akcs.falco@hpcvbbs.UUCP (Andrey Dolgachev) (01/21/91)

Great, I suppose it was nice of HP to replace some D's, but not all of
them.  Well, thanks Dan, for the info. I just have to call HP and
hopefully I can get an E version instead of my D.  10 days, looks like
it's time to bring out my poor old 28c.

TNA32@CCVAX.IASTATE.EDU (FRINGE) (01/21/91)

I sent mine in Dec 17, when I was told by HP it would be back within 2 weeks.

3 weeks later, no calculator.  Called them up, they hadn't received it yet.
Seems they shut down from the friday b4 christmas for 2 weeks, and hadn't
caught up with the back log.  Explained that I MUST have a calculator by
the time classes started (this morning), and the woman I talked to found
my calculator, and had it fed ex'd to me.  I suspect It'll be taking more
than 10 days when people start sending them in in great numbers, but for
the time being they seem to be caught up.

All the hassle of not having a calc. for 10 days is worth it, the A's are
so bug ridden as to be defective.  Glad to be rid of mine...

TDSTRONG%MTUS5.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (Tim Strong) (01/21/91)

Recently mentioned was an upgrade for version D machines.

Give us some more info.  I must have missed it.  I'm one of the many
floating around with D's and would be interested in finding out if I qualify.

  ___
  :__)  _   _:  _   _   Tim Strong <tdstrong%mtus5.bitnet@cunyvm.edu>
  :  \ (_: (_: (_: :    Michigan Tech.    Houghton, Michigan

akcs.tyrone@hpcvbbs.UUCP (Tyrone Johnson) (01/25/91)

I just called Maryjo Hornberger (503-750-2574) at HP to find out if I
could send in my D version and get a brand spanking new E version.  She
told me that the 'deal' had not be extended to D versions, at least not
as of yet!  However, if someone finds out differently, then please post
so all can take advantage!
Thanks

bgribble@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Bill Gribble) (01/25/91)

In article <279f53e9:1765.1comp.sys.handhelds;1@hpcvbbs.UUCP> akcs.tyrone@hpcvbbs.UUCP (Tyrone Johnson) writes:
>I just called Maryjo Hornberger (503-750-2574) at HP to find out if I
>could send in my D version and get a brand spanking new E version.  She
>told me that the 'deal' had not be extended to D versions, at least not
>as of yet!  However, if someone finds out differently, then please post
>so all can take advantage!
>Thanks

I hope this doesn't start a flame war, but here goes: I don't really think
  anybody with a D rom has the right to a free upgrade to E.  The differences
  are minute, and the cost to HP (I think) quite high.  Of course, I could
  be wrong: if it just involves replacing a socketed chip, then it's not
  expensive.  But with the circuit density that must exist in the 48, I
  think the roms must be surface mounted, and this would entail trashing
  the calculator and sending you a new one, or at least a new motherboard.

The flaws in the D rom (and the others, for that matter) were responsibly
  reported by HP and you could have read the errata sheet and returned the
  calculator immediately if they weren't acceptable to you.  Asking for the
  new rom when your old one is outdated is sort of like asking for an upgrade
  to a 1991 Chevy when you find out your '89 doesn't have antilock brakes.
  But then again, a lot of people got mad at HP for offering the free
  equation library for a while.  Just no pleezin some people.

**   Bill Gribble                     Harvey Mudd College, Claremont, CA   **
**   bgribble@jarthur.claremont.edu   Never heard of it?  You're stupid.   **

TNAN0@CCVAX.IASTATE.EDU (01/26/91)

I disagree with Bill Gribble...

Version Ds SHOULD be replaced...  It makes no sense to me that if I would
have bought my calculator as a version C that it should be replaced with an
E, but my version D (which DOES contain several errors, not just the one
dealing with complex polar algebraics) may not be replaced.  Either HP should
have replaced everyone's calculator with a version D or they should allow
ALL previous versions to be replaced.  So, anyone who bought their calculators
in the six month window are going to get stung...  If I would have realized
this, I would have intentionally bought a Version A...

Well, anyone want to trade a version A, B, or C for my D???  If I downgrade
quick, maybe I can get a version E...

Oh, by the way... a good friend of mine has a version D with the dreaded
LCD leprosy -- that is to say that his screen is slowly staining black
from the upper left-hand corner inward.  So, it looks as though HP has
some physical design flaws in the D as well...?

---Xeno

bill@flutter.tv.tek.com (William K. McFadden) (01/26/91)

I was told by an HP48 engineer that they were just collecting the
defective machines but not trying to repair them.  He said it might be
worth busting them open for the circuit board, which I think was worth
about $65.  But, at the moment, they weren't planning on doing that.
This was before the upgrade offer, however.  They might be recycling
them by now.

I don't know if the display can be recycled.  A lot of the earlier
machines had a display defect that would cause a large percentage of
them to fail "sometime in the future."  For me, that was about 4
months.  It was a rev. B.  They sent me a rev. E in exchange.  Took
only a week, too (including Thanksgiving weekend).

To my recollection, the case and keyboard couldn't be recycled.
--
Bill McFadden    Tektronix, Inc.  P.O. Box 500  MS 58-639  Beaverton, OR  97077
bill@videovax.tv.tek.com,     {hplabs,uw-beaver,decvax}!tektronix!videovax!bill

egraeler@uceng.UC.EDU (Eric S Graeler) (01/27/91)

I assume this is for the 48SX
How do I find out what version of ROM I have.

					Eric Graeler
					egraeler@uceng.uc.edu

akcs.ciarn@hpcvbbs.UUCP (Dan Ciarniello) (01/28/91)

I wouldn't count on being without a calculator for only 10 days.  I
believe that HP says that you will get it back within 10 days of their
receiving it.  This doesn't take into account the time from when
you send it to when they receive it.  I'd tack at least a couple of
days onto the 10-day estimate.
Dan.

TNA32@CCVAX.IASTATE.EDU (FRINGE) (01/28/91)

If you absitively, posilutely must have a calculator as soon as possible
from when you send it in (ie., a student that relies on his/her calculator
as much as food, and can't go spend $30 for an interim calculator while
your gob stopping expensive one is being fixed, like myself)  try giving
them a call and arranging to have it put through as quickly as possible,
explaining to them your situation.  They seem to really go out of their way to
replace them as soon as possible if they can.  I sent mine in after my last
final last semester after being told that I would have it back within two
weeks (I have a 4 week inter semester break).  Three weeks later I called to
see what was going on, and it turns out that HP shut them down x-mas to
new years etc, for 2 weeks.  When I called I explained that I had to have a
calculator by the 17th (my return date for classes), and they Federal
Expressed a new calculator out the next day, and it was waiting for me here.

If you can do without it for the two weeks, give them a break, any other
company would hang you out to dry, this calculator replacement thing doesn't
qualify under their published warranty, it's a customer service thing, they're
just being nice to replace the thousands of calculators that are out there.

They're machines are expensive, but that's not what you're paying for, when
it all comes due, it's their customer support. (would be nice if they had
an 800 tech support line though.......)

-mike

akcs.ciarn@hpcvbbs.UUCP (Dan Ciarniello) (01/29/91)

Tyrone, I'm surprised that Maryjo Hornberger told you that the deal was
not extended to version D roms.  I called the Technical Support line
in November and was told that my calculator (a version D) did qualify
for an upgrade.  I got a letter from HP dated November 9th confirming
this just a few days later.  I sent my rev D in in mid December and
got my new rev E this past Wednesday.

I believe that the D to E upgrade is a different upgrade than for a
A or B or C to E upgrade.  Call the Tech Support line for more info.

To Bill Gribble: Errata sheet?  What errata sheet?  My calculator did
not come with any errata sheet.  If I had not signed on to the HPBBS
I would never have known about the upgrade program.  Anyway, this
is not a matter of getting the new features available in the new model
year for free.  This is a matter of making sure that what you get works
as advertised.  Even the car companies have so-called hidden warranties
where they will fix a problem for free if the problem is due to a
manufacturering problem as opposed to normal wear and tear (even if
the vehicle's warranty is technically up).  I'd say that the rom upgrades
fall into this category.
Dan.

akcs.tyrone@hpcvbbs.UUCP (Tyrone Johnson) (01/29/91)

I also did not find an 'errata' sheet in my HP48sx box when I bought it.
If I had know of the different versions of this calc. you can bet that I
would have made sure to get the latest version.  The analogy with car
companies is not a good one: Ford at least tells you which year you are
purchasing.  I don't see HP rushing to let you know that you are buying
an older version of the calculator.  Yes, the information is available
beforehand that if you are buying an older version there may be problems,
but I would not say that finding out on something like this board would
be considered very "public knowledge".
Anyway, I'll try the tech line and see what they say.

TNA32@CCVAX.IASTATE.EDU (FRINGE) (01/30/91)

With my A there was an errata sheet that included the b's, c's, and d's.

Why was there info on it that pertained to a calculator they weren't shipping
yet?  I dunno either, go figure.

flinton@eagle.wesleyan.edu (02/01/91)

In article <27a3567e:1757.1comp.sys.handhelds;1@hpcvbbs.UUCP>, akcs.ciarn@hpcvbbs.UUCP (Dan Ciarniello) writes:
> I wouldn't count on being without a calculator for only 10 days.  I
> believe that HP says that you will get it back within 10 days of their
> receiving it.
	I've had to send two terminals and a floppy drive to HP for repair
and/or field upgrade -- elapsed time between my sending it off and getting
it back never exceeded one week (so HP had but a day or two to do their thing).
Pretty impressive! (Slow UPS surface shipments, CT to NJ and back, every time.)
	-- Fred
  FLinton@eagle.Wesleyan.EDU or fejlinton@mcimail.com or fejlinton@attmail.com

frechett@spot.Colorado.EDU (-=Runaway Daemon=-) (02/01/91)

In article <1991Jan31.154120.38305@eagle.wesleyan.edu=+ flinton@eagle.wesleyan.edu writes:
=+In article <27a3567e:1757.1comp.sys.handhelds;1@hpcvbbs.UUCP>, akcs.ciarn@hpcvbbs.UUCP (Dan Ciarniello) writes:
=+> I wouldn't count on being without a calculator for only 10 days.  I
=+> believe that HP says that you will get it back within 10 days of their
=+> receiving it.
=+	I've had to send two terminals and a floppy drive to HP for repair
=+and/or field upgrade -- elapsed time between my sending it off and getting
=+it back never exceeded one week (so HP had but a day or two to do their thing).
=+Pretty impressive! (Slow UPS surface shipments, CT to NJ and back, every time.)
I can believe it.. I called HP today about the upgrade and asked, if I were to
FEd Ex it to them, could they Fed Ex it back.. They said sure.. The person I
talked to said that they will recieve the calculator tomorrow and they have to
hold onto it over the weekend, and then move it to another building or some
such Monday and that since this is just a replacement deal, they should be able
to get the Calculator out Monday Afternoon or Tuesday morning.  So if I
am really lucky I should have my Calc back by tuesday or Wednesday.. (Damn my
capitalization is ScReWeD.)  They are being nothing but helpful.  I wonder
what things in Tangent OR are going to be like near the end of Feb.. You have
to feel sorry for the poor soul who is going to lose his calc in the mail too.

=+	-- Fred
=+  FLinton@eagle.Wesleyan.EDU or fejlinton@mcimail.com or fejlinton@attmail.com

	ian

egraeler@uceng.UC.EDU (Eric S Graeler) (02/01/91)

In article <CBDF9847CC5F60764B@ISUVAX.BITNET>, TNAN0@CCVAX.IASTATE.EDU writes:
> I disagree with Bill Gribble...
>
> Version Ds SHOULD be replaced...  It makes no sense to me that if I would
> have bought my calculator as a version C that it should be replaced with an
> E, but my version D (which DOES contain several errors, not just the one
> dealing with complex polar algebraics) may not be replaced.  Either HP should
> have replaced everyone's calculator with a version D or they should allow
> ALL previous versions to be replaced.  So, anyone who bought their calculators
> in the six month window are going to get stung...  If I would have realized
> this, I would have intentionally bought a Version A...

I just talked to their customer service department yesterday and explained my
D-ROM situation to them yesterday.  I told them how I was an EE student and
I would be using symbolic entry for complex number to represent phasors
frequenltly.  They were more than understanding with me and said if I sent my
calculator out to them they would send it back Blue-label-UPS
which is two day service.  They said the deal was that the tech service
department was handling A-B-C upgrades and not D.  But now it seems the
customer service department is handling D upgrades.  All you have to do is
include a note that says what your problem is.  They said write down your
calculator Model and serial number for your own reference before you send it
in.
   However I solved my situation a different way.  I got my HPsx at Service
Merchandise.  I called the original store and explained how I got a ROM-D and
needed a ROM-E.  I had them pull another one out of stock and told them what
to do and it was also a ROM-D.  They then recommended calling a different
Service Merchandise.  I called two, one had ROM-C!, but the other had ROM-E's.
So I will happily go today to exchange it and will not lose any time in the
mail.  Just my story of what happened to me.
   The moral is though, if talk to HP I think you will find them more than
happy to replace your D with and E.  Otherwise that would be bad business
and I don't think they want to give any of that out to loyal customer who
are willing to shell out $200-$300 for a calculator/computer.

Eric Graeler
egraeler@uceng.uc.edu

akcs.falco@hpcvbbs.UUCP (Andrey Dolgachev) (02/02/91)

Xeno,
please post what you found out from HP aobut D for E's, and if possible,
does anyone know what the errors are for version D's?  Though, I guess
that I shoudl HP Tech if nobody else knows
    --Falco

akcs.falco@hpcvbbs.UUCP (Andrey Dolgachev) (02/02/91)

probably because it wouldn't make sense to give it to all the people with
d's who don't have any errata sheets.  Could you please post the errors
up, especially for the d version, since everybody else can get e
versions.

hallyb@globbo.enet.dec.com (John Hallyburton) (02/05/91)

TNAN0@CCVAX.IASTATE.EDU writes...
>The bugs?  The most widely known one is:
> [list of bugs #1-5]
>
>There are a few others I think, but they are mainly cosmetic...

Thank you for the posting.

What is this about inverting a matrix larger than 8x8, or is that just
an allegory?  I can live with bugs #1-5, but am starting work on some
matrices that go up to 6x6, and I'll wager one day things will grow larger.
Not being able to invert an 8x8 matrix is likely to become a problem for me
just about the time my warranty runs out...

						"The Smart Money was on Goliath"
						John Hallyburton 43 55'N 71 45'W