[comp.sys.handhelds] Version D to E upgrades...

TNAN0@CCVAX.IASTATE.EDU (01/31/91)

I called HP today and asked them about upgrading to a version E (I have
a version D).  It works like this:

You cannot get an E the same way that A, B, and C owners can.  They can
get one even if their warranty is up.  However, ANY version D owner (no
exceptions based on serial numbers) CAN get a version E if:
1) The calculator is still under manufacturer's warranty
2) You plead that the anomolies it has interfere with your uses for it

So, any version D owners who wish to get an E, simply mail your calculator
to the HP service center at:

Corvallis Service Center
1030 NE Circle Blvd.
Corvallis, OR 97330 USA

With a note stating why you want an E and letting them know that it has been
cleared by service support.  You must also include a copy of proof-of-purchase.
They told me the service center turn-around was 3-5 days after receipt...
Good luck, all...!

---Xeno

I DO NOT WORK FOR HP AND I ACCEPT NO RESPONSIBILITIES FOR THEIR ACTIONS.
MY INFORMATION COMES FROM A CONVERSATION WITH A SERVICE CENTER REPRESENTATIVE.

rrd@hpfcso.HP.COM (Ray Depew) (02/01/91)

'Scuse me, but how many of you have REALLY gotten bitten by a 48SX bug???
I don't mean "how many of you have accidentally found one" -- I mean,
how many of you have *UN*intentionally run across a bug that really screwed
up your work and caused you to throw up your hands in frustration and swear
at the calculator?  How many of you have lost points on an exam or homework,
or points with your boss, or excessive amounts of time, because of a bug?

Before you all rush down to UPS and send your 48's back to HP, sit down and
think for a while.  First, how many commercial 256Kbyte programs do you know
that are totally bug-free?  There must be at least one, but I don't know
what it is.  Give HP a little credit for the things that they did right.

Second, *HOW CAN YOU BE SURE THAT THE REV. E ROMS AREN'T ALSO BUGGY?*  I'll
bet you a box of donuts that there are bugs in Rev. E that just
haven't been uncovered yet.  It's only a matter of time until they're found,
and then are you going to send in your 48's to get them upgraded to Rev. F???

Third, how many of those bugs can you REALLY not live with?  If the matrix-
inversion bug kills you every time, and the workaround isn't satisfactory for
your particular application, then you have a legitimate reason to upgrade.
But if you will never invert a matrix larger than 8 x 8 in your whole life,
WHY BOTHER UPGRADING?

Fourth, with all the things you have to learn about the 48, what's wrong with
learning the workarounds for the bugs that bite you most often?  Write them in
the book, for Pete's sake.  (Hi Pete!)  Good grief, take a black pen and
turn to page 648 of the Owner's Manual and write "System Flag -40 must be
cleared when doing ARCHIVE"!  You won't get in trouble -- unless you're
borrowing someone else's book. :-)  I do a lot of graphics work, and there
are a couple of bugs that I have to avoid every time I write a program, but
that doesn't bother me any more than having to remember the syntax for the
command-line version of "SUM".

Finally, consider this:  If you're developing commercial software, you'll want
to make sure it can run on ALL versions of the 48, A thru Z.02.03.  It does
you NO GOOD to write a program on your Rev. E machine and market it, just to
find out that the guy in Schenectady with a Rev. A machine can't run your
program and wants his money back.  If you're planning on making some bucks off
this machine, don't trade in your Rev. A too fast.

Use some common sense before you jump on the bandwagon and bombard Corvallis
with used calculators.  Don't upgrade if you don't need to.  Do yourself and
Corvallis a big favor.

Regards
Ray Depew
HP ICBD -- IC's by Bill and Dave (not affilitated with the 48 gang in any way)
rrd@hpfitst1.hp.com
Contented user of a Rev. A HP48SX

zimmer@calvin.stanford.edu (Andrew Zimmerman) (02/01/91)

In article <7360060@hpfcso.HP.COM> rrd@hpfcso.HP.COM (Ray Depew) writes:
>'Scuse me, but how many of you have REALLY gotten bitten by a 48SX bug???
>
>Use some common sense before you jump on the bandwagon and bombard Corvallis
>with used calculators.  Don't upgrade if you don't need to.  Do yourself and
>Corvallis a big favor.
>Regards
>Ray Depew
>Contented user of a Rev. A HP48SX

Well, just to start a huge flame war, I would like to disagree with you on
this one, I think that people should send their early ROM versions back,
with the exception of the people with the REV D's bought during the free
EQLIB promo.  I make this exception because many people made a choice,
should I get a Rev D and a free EQLIB, or wait for a Rev E.  (Of course,
as I write this, I also realize that anyone without net access wouldn't
know about this, but then again, they probably don't know about the
upgrade either.)

1.  Some people that bought Rev A. got errata sheets that told what the
bugs were for Roms A-D.  That seems to tell me that HP was selling products
that they knew were defective for the same price as the latest REV.

2.  Most of the bugs are in some of the more complicated functions, that I
will admit are not used that often.  But hey, I didn't pay $300 for a
4 function calculator, I bought it so I can use those features.

3.  Yes, I do know that huge programs have bugs.  But, I have gotten free
upgrades from Borland and Microsoft for early versions that have bugs.
(That is why I do business with those companies.)  In addition, I sometimes
write code to make extra money.  I have a policy that if a bug is found,
I fix it for free. (I do charge for extra features.)

4.   In the case of the Rev D's, it appears that the free upgrade is only
avail while the calc is under warrantee.  Seems to me that this is a good
time to upgrade.

5.   Even if you don't use the advanced features that have the bugs, get an
upgrade.  How easy is it going to be sell a Rev A on the second hand
market?

6.   Using the argument of the previous poster, upgrade now to make sure that
you WILL be able to run the software developed by other people who write
it for the latest REV.  (Of course, if you are happy with a REV A, MS-DOS 1.1,
WordPerfect 3.0, whatever, continue to use it.)

7.   I would have a different opinion about this if HP was above board about
this, but I don't think that they have been.  How many people got mail from
HP about the upgrade?  I know that I didn't.  In fact, I had to justify
why I wanted to upgrade when I called.

I will be honest, I am not a happy owner of a REV B hp48sx.  I disagree
with HP's method of upgrades, their EQLIB promo, the way the serial
cable was sold (ie charge extra for software you give away for free in
1 month) and for the false advertising of the serial cable.  (Access the
power of you HP48sx from you computer.  What a crock!  Ever try to use
EQWriter from your computer?  Actually, ever tried to do anything from
your computer?  Even if you do get around the rem host problem of kermit,
after every operation, the entire stack is sent back to your computer at
9600 baud.)  (Anyone ever heard of 19200 or 38400 baud?)

I have heard that HP has made a nice program for the IBMPC to help in the
above problem.  Does it come with the programmers manual in hardcopy,
or just online?  BTW, what is the price for said program?  I can get it
for $30, but is that the price for everyone, or just for those who bought
the software version of the cable?

Oh, in the case of the EQLIB promo, I am not saying that HP had a moral
reason to make a similar offer to early owners.  I do feel that they
should have offered it at either a lower price for those owners, or
maybe given it away at a lower price with the purchase of a 128K ram
card.
    It was this promo that soured me on HP.  Of course, my office mate's
experience with his HP28c didn't help matters. :-)

BTW, unlike the previous poster, I am not an employee of HP.  (If I am
wrong about the previous posters employment status, I apologize in advance.)

Andrew
zimmer@calvin.stanford.edu

PS.  I am not an employee of Motorola, but I would like to say that the
people at Motorola know a thing about customer service.  They have always
been more then helpful.  (In fact, they are sometimes too helpful.  send
email if you want me to explain that comment.)

rrd@hpfcso.HP.COM (Ray Depew) (02/02/91)

From zimmer@calvin.stanford.edu (Andrew Zimmerman):

>>In article <7360060@hpfcso.HP.COM> rrd@hpfcso.HP.COM (Ray Depew) writes:
>>'Scuse me, but how many of you have REALLY gotten bitten by a 48SX bug???
>>
>>Use some common sense before you jump on the bandwagon and bombard Corvallis
>>with used calculators.  Don't upgrade if you don't need to.  Do yourself and
>>>Corvallis a big favor.
>>Regards
>>Ray Depew
>>Contented user of a Rev. A HP48SX

>Well, just to start a huge flame war, I would like to disagree with you on
>this one,...

Apologies to all for yesterday's outburst.  It was the wrong day to be reading
or responding to *anything* on notes.  (Ever have one of those days? :-S)
I should just keep quiet now, since I *really* don't want to get into a flame
war.  But... (put your extinguishers away, there are no flames here)

>2.  Most of the bugs are in some of the more complicated functions, that I
>will admit are not used that often.  But hey, I didn't pay $300 for a
>4 function calculator, I bought it so I can use those features.

Yabut if you use those functions so seldom (that was my point!), the
workarounds shouldn't be such a big deal.  You have to open the book to read
about using the functions anyway, why not just put an annotation in the book
about the related bug?

>3.  Yes, I do know that huge programs have bugs.  But, I have gotten free
>upgrades from Borland and Microsoft for early versions that have bugs.

I'm not saying that HP won't upgrade your machine for free.  I'm suggesting
that you skip the upgrade, if the bugs aren't biting you.  I've gotten
offers for bug fixes from MS and other software houses too, but if the bugs
were in application areas that I knew I'd never use, I ignored them.  Why,
pray tell, should I fix a bug in the legal-brief creation routines if I'm
never going to draw up a legal brief?  (discussion on illegal briefs to
/dev/null)  That's what I'm suggesting here.  If you don't *need* the bugs
fixed, but you do need your calculator, is it really worth 10 days of your
time (not my number, I got it from c.s.h) to get the upgrade?  Of course not!

>5.   Even if you don't use the advanced features that have the bugs, get an
>upgrade.  How easy is it going to be sell a Rev A on the second hand
>market?

Answer #1:  WHAAAT?  You *SELL* your HP calculators when they get old?
            Sacrilege! (and smileys)
Answer #2:  Ask EduCalc, or all the "HP28S for sale" posters here.

>6.   Using the argument of the previous poster, upgrade now to make sure that
>you WILL be able to run the software developed by other people who write
>it for the latest REV.  (Of course, if you are happy with a REV A, MS-DOS 1.1,
>WordPerfect 3.0, whatever, continue to use it.)

Now you're mixing arguments.  We're talking about upgrading to fix known
bugs.  People upgrade from WP3.0 to WP5.1 for the added features, not
necessarily for the bug fixes.  MS-DOS isn't a good example, since 4.X has bug
fixes, added features, and MORE BUGS.

>I will be honest, I am not a happy owner of a REV B hp48sx.  I disagree
>with HP's method of ...

(Here's where I cower behind the standard disclaimer:  I don't speak for HP.
I really am sorry to hear that you've had trouble with your Rev.B.)

> ...  Ever try to use
>EQWriter from your computer?

You can't use the Graphics environment from your computer, either.  Not even
from a Mac (yet).  Try to figure out why.  (Answer hinted at, below)

> Actually, ever tried to do anything from
>your computer?  Even if you do get around the rem host problem of kermit,
>after every operation, the entire stack is sent back to your computer at
>9600 baud.)  (Anyone ever heard of 19200 or 38400 baud?)

I don't see how getting the whole stack sent back to your PC is a problem.
I thought HP made it do that on purpose.  If it bothers you that it's sent
back after every operation, try combining several operations on one line
before sending it to the 48.  (Equivalent to using the [ENTRY] ([Rshift]
[alpha] operation from the 48's keyboard.)

>I have heard that HP has made a nice program for the IBMPC to help in the
>above problem.  Does it come with the programmers manual in hardcopy,
>or just online?  BTW, what is the price for said program?  I can get it
>for $30, but is that the price for everyone, or just for those who bought
>the software version of the cable?

(Cowering behind the disclaimer again)  I've seen it.  It's called PDL, short
for Programmer's Development Laboratory.  Basically, you connect your 48 to
your PC, put it in Server mode, and do all your program development on the PC.
It has a very thorough online "Help" facility, and I think that tossing in
the hardcopy Ref Manual would be redundant.

I'm sure EduCalc has it -- dunno about price, etc.  If you're worried about
whether you'll like it or want it, ask for a demo somewhere.

(If I say "*I* like it", I'm sure I'll get shot down again.  So I won't say
that.)

>BTW, unlike the previous poster, I am not an employee of HP.  (If I am
>wrong about the previous posters employment status, I apologize in advance.)

No, you're right.  However, my division has nothing to do with the calculator
gang (they're geniuses; we aren't -- yet).  We have to stand in line behind
literally everyone else in the world to get a 48, and even then, the boss is
likely to ask, "Why a 48?  What did you do with the 15C I bought you years
ago?"  My 48 doesn't even belong to HP.  I earned it myself.

I still maintain that you shouldn't upgrade if you don't need to.  If the only
thing pushing you to upgrade is your desire to own "the latest and greatest",
or something that you read on c.s.h but haven't encountered in
your own travels through the 48, or the feeling that you should stick it to
HP before they stick it to you, then *you don't need to upgrade*.  That's
the point that I was not-so-tactfully trying to make before, and I apologize
for the tone of my earlier posting.  I just hate to see the guys in Corvallis
get the treatment they've gotten of late, for all the good they've done.

Regards (still)
Ray
HP ICBD -- IC's by Bill and Dave
rrd@hpfitst1.hp.com

TNAN0@CCVAX.IASTATE.EDU (02/02/91)

"Use some common sense before you jump on the bandwagon and bombard
Corvallis with used calculators."

My sole defense for wanting an unflawed ROM is this:
I want to keep the resale value of my calculator as high as possible.

As a side-line, HP should have tested their ROMs more thoroughly...  If they
didn't even try to invert a matrix larger than 8x8, they deserve the penalty
of replacing every flawed calculator.  It is not OUR fault that the entire
calculator must be replaced.  HP, in their infinite wisdom, could have
worked out a scheme where the ROMs were replacable.  Software is covered
by the same warranties that hardware is - it is to be free from manufacture
defects... Revision Ds are flawed, and so are A, B, and Cs...  If I bought
a car and the 2nd gear position on my automatic transmission control didn't
work, I'd sure have it fixed even if I didn't use it!

Anyway, I believe that companies (especially in America) are getting far to
relaxed about quality control.  HP should strive for ZERO DEFECTS and that
means rigorous testing of the software they put into their calculators.

---Xeno

P.S. Speaking of defects, "to" six lines up should be "too." ;-)

TNAN0@CCVAX.IASTATE.EDU (02/04/91)

Chris Spell,
   I personally called HP (at 503-757-2002) and they transferred me to
Technical Support.  Customer service at HP is null and void.  NEVER listen
to what they say--they are misinformed.  They did not even know there was
more than one ROM version until recently...
   I was told that D to E was covered under warranty...  If they try to
convince you this is a rumor... tell them to call ME at 515-294-5419 and
I will personally tell them of my conversation with Technical Support.

-Xeno-

rrd@hpfcso.HP.COM (Ray Depew) (02/05/91)

Good to see this notestring is still alive and kicking...

What I told zimmer@calvin.stanford.edu (Andrew Zimmerman):

>>5.   Even if you don't use the advanced features that have the bugs, get an
>>upgrade.  How easy is it going to be sell a Rev A on the second hand
>>market?

>Answer #1:  WHAAAT?  You *SELL* your HP calculators when they get old?
             Sacrilege! (and smileys)
>Answer #2:  Ask EduCalc, or all the "HP28S for sale" posters here.

Back to more serious matters:

>As a side-line, HP should have tested their ROMs more thoroughly...  If they
                    ^^^^^^ ^^^^
>didn't even try to invert a matrix larger than 8x8, they deserve the penalty
>of replacing every flawed calculator.

Well, they did a pretty thorough job, from what I saw.  Obviously, you don't
know HP.  Their reputation for high quality is well-deserved, but even HP
can't be perfect all the time.  If you knew how much testing actually did go
into the 48, you probably wouldn't have said this.  Like I said in an earlier
posting, even Rev.F will probably have bugs.  (No, I don't know what they will
be.  I'm speaking from a statistical point of view.)  The question is, will you
ever notice them?

>It is not OUR fault that the entire
>calculator must be replaced.
            ^^^^
I don't understand the relevance of the "It's not OUR fault..." line.  I'm
not arguing that HP should refuse to continue their current upgrade policy.
I challenge you to find that point of view anywhere in my posting.  I'm
arguing that users shouldn't send their 48s in for revision just because
there's a later ROM out there.  "MUST be replaced" ain't necessarily so,
especially at this point in time, when the remaining bugs are in esoteric
operations that you have to reread the manual to use, anyway.

>... If I bought
>a car and the 2nd gear position on my automatic transmission control didn't
>work, I'd sure have it fixed even if I didn't use it!

I've got a problem with this analogy, and I'm not sure what it is.  I think
that most of the bugs we're talking about are more on the line of defective
trunk lid lights or loose ashtrays.  The only one I can think of that's as
universally important as whether you can put your auto tranny in 2nd on purpose
would be the ARCHIVE-with-clock bug.  And even then,...

>Anyway, I believe that companies (especially in America) are getting far to
>relaxed about quality control.  HP should strive for ZERO DEFECTS and that
>means rigorous testing of the software they put into their calculators.

$CAUSTIC MODE ON$

You obviously don't know much about HP, except that they make calculators with
bugs in them.  Maybe somebody else on the net would like to fill you in on
HP, quality control and "rigorous testing."

$CAUSTIC MODE OFF$

Regards
Ray Depew
IC's by Bill and Dave
rrd@hpfitst1.hp.com
DISCLAIMER:  Hey, I'm taking a late lunch.  Besides, nobody at HP talks this
way.  This whole posting is a figment of your imagination.
ADDENDUM:  Spelling errors are forgiven.  It's all vi's fault, anyway.
PERSONAL TO ZIMMER:  Hey, is "Mixed Company" still performing on campus?

akcs.dnickel@hpcvbbs.UUCP (Derek S. Nickel) (02/06/91)

concidering the course that this thread has taken, I'd be suprised if HP
even told us about future bugs (let alone offer an upgrade path).  I
wouldn't be happy, but I also wouldn't be suprised (and I wouldn't blame
them for keeping quite).

        dsn

mike@DRD.Com (Mike Rovak) (02/06/91)

rrd@hpfcso.HP.COM (Ray Depew) wrote:
... stuff ...
} >As a side-line, HP should have tested their ROMs more thoroughly...  If they
}                     ^^^^^^ ^^^^
}
} Well, they did a pretty thorough job, from what I saw.  Obviously, you don't
} know HP.  Their reputation for high quality is well-deserved, but even HP
} can't be perfect all the time.  If you knew how much testing actually did go
} into the 48, you probably wouldn't have said this.  Like I said in an earlier
} posting, even Rev.F will probably have bugs.  (No, I don't know what they will
} be.  I'm speaking from a statistical point of view.)  The question is, will you
} ever notice them?
}
} >It is not OUR fault that the entire
} >calculator must be replaced.
}^^^^
... stuff ...
}
} >Anyway, I believe that companies (especially in America) are getting far to
} >relaxed about quality control.  HP should strive for ZERO DEFECTS and that
} >means rigorous testing of the software they put into their calculators.
}
... stuff ...

Don't mean to nit-pick, but of course you realize that a product which is
tested for ZERO DEFECTS never gets to market...

The point is that at least in my experience there is always a tradeoff
between the amount of time which is devoted to testing and the need to
bring the product to competitive and open market.  This is a consideration
which must always be weighed by the people who have the responsibility for
keeping the business in question afloat.

It seems to me that as the machine becomes more complex in its capabilities,
there will be increased pressure on HP to do something like make the ROMS
more accessible for upgrading, either for the experienced user or at least
the experienced dealer.  In such a case, HP could then charge a nominal fee
for an upgrade and would not then have to absorb the (what I am sure is)
considerable expense of eating the returned units like what has occurred
this year.

The result of this type of plan is that the advanced users will remain happy,
and inevitable bugs which surface do not become anywhere near the liability
which they have been this year for HP.  Instead, they have the potential
of becoming an asset, so long that "selling upgrades" does not become a
marketing end in itself, which is an irritable feeling I get from some
software companies, who shall remain nameless.

I consider myself fortunate.  I discovered this newsgroup just as I was
making the decision to buy a 48.  Having "been burned" (my own personal
perception, which may have no basis in fact) on the 28C, I waited, read
the news, and waited.  When I heard about the EQLIB promotion and
Version E, I bought.

So, IMHO, any complaints should be directed to marketing, NOT the poor
guys who are TOLD when the thing is to be ramrodded out the door.

-- Mike's $0.02

Disclaimer: My opinions do not necessarily reflect those of my employer.
     mike@DRD.Com
     uunet!apctrc!drd!mike