[comp.sys.handhelds] handheld msdos

phil@atom2.LHRL.OZ.AU (Phil Belbin) (02/06/91)

	Has anybody used an Atari Portfolio or similar machine to run msdos
exe or com files to run compiled spreadsheets. We are looking at purchacing
a machine and would appreciate any help or advice.
							Thanks
							Phil Belbin

silvert@cs.dal.ca (Bill Silvert) (02/06/91)

In article <44@atom2.LHRL.OZ.AU> phil@atom2.LHRL.OZ.AU (Phil Belbin) writes:

>	Has anybody used an Atari Portfolio or similar machine to run msdos
>exe or com files to run compiled spreadsheets. We are looking at purchacing
>a machine and would appreciate any help or advice.

I only have the minimum memory configuration, but my Portfolio runs the
few MS-DOS files I've tried.  Mostly I use grep.com, but I understand
from people who have ported larger programs that so long as your
program doesn't address the screen or use special ROM/BIOS calls it should
be OK.  So unix-like *.exe and *.com files should be OK, but you may
have trouble with spreadsheets.
--
William Silvert, Habitat Ecology Division, Bedford Inst. of Oceanography
P. O. Box 1006, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CANADA B2Y 4A2.  Tel. (902)426-1577

davis@aurs01.uucp (Alan Davis) (02/08/91)

In article <44@atom2.LHRL.OZ.AU> phil@atom2.LHRL.OZ.AU (Phil Belbin) writes:

>       Has anybody used an Atari Portfolio or similar machine to run msdos
>exe or com files to run compiled spreadsheets. We are looking at purchacing
>a machine and would appreciate any help or advice.

I have been using my port for most of a year now and have found in general
that the Messy-dos programs must conform to a 'tiny'memory profile :

	i8x86 'tiny' memory model = 64k i+d
	bios services only, no direct video write, no low level
	disk, serial or parallel port control
	doesn't check for 'known' bios signatures

If you are interested in roll-your own port apps, the basic tech kit is
only $60 from Atari, but doesn't include hotline support or CIS developer
forum access. To get full support you have to shell out about $300.

Well behaved programs may be written in C, Pascal, C++, Modula2, etc.
There is a version of BASIC available (interpreted) that can be used
with GWBASIC programs developed on the PC, with some restrictions.

--
Alan Davis                      aur : davis@aurw87
Alcatel Network Systems         BIX : adavis