[comp.sys.handhelds] Help please connecting 48 to Hayes modem

rob@ireta.cynic.wimsey.bc.ca (Rob Prior) (02/05/91)

rrd@hpfcso.HP.COM (Ray Depew) writes:

> Dr. William B. Busa reports:
>
> >I've constructed a 9-pin to 25-pin adapter to connect my *genuine* HP
> >cable to the Hayes. It is wired as follows (using the standard 9 and 25
> >pin numbering):

Yours didn't come with one?  I would contact HP about that... Everyone I
know around here got one with theirs...

Rob

+------------
| rob@ireta.cynic.wimsey.bc.ca
| Rob Prior, President, Still Animation Logo Design
+------------------------------------------------------------

bio_zwbb@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Dr. William B. Busa) (02/05/91)

	In attempting to use Bill Gribble's NRTS terminal emulator I've
run into big trouble interfacing my 48 to my Hayes Smartmodem 1200. I'm
not sure if the problem resides in the cabling, configuration switches,
IOPAR, or what, so here's my condition:

I've constructed a 9-pin to 25-pin adapter to connect my *genuine* HP
cable to the Hayes. It is wired as follows (using the standard 9 and 25
pin numbering):

HP		Hayes
2 (RXD) ->	2 (TXD)
3 (TXD) ->	3 (RXD)
5 (SGND)->	7 (SGND)
(p.s., I have also tried swapping 2 and 3)

Hayes config. switches:
1 down; 2 down; 3 down; 4 down; 5 down; 6 up; 7 up; 8 down; 9 up; 10 up.

IOPAR (in HOME directory): { 1200 0 1 1 3 3 }

The Hayes is set to 1200 baud.

In this configuration, when I place the string "ATDT918005551212" on the
stack and hit XMIT, the SD (send data) light on the Hayes blinks, but the
modem does not dial and nothing happens. A "1" is placed on the stack by
XMIT. When I next perform BUFLEN, a 0 is returned to level 2 and a 1 is
returned to level 1.
	When I swap pins 2 and 3 and perform the same test, *nothing*
happens (i.e., the SD light doesn't blink). BUFLEN still returns 0 1.
	It should go without saying that NRTS don't do nuthin currently.

	If anyone has experience interfacing the 48 to a Hayes, can you
point me in the right direction? THANKS!

p.s. -- all cables and solder connections are sound (the 48 communicates
with my computer OK.

rrd@hpfcso.HP.COM (Ray Depew) (02/09/91)

Dr. William B. Busa reports:

	>In attempting to use Bill Gribble's NRTS terminal emulator I've
>run into big trouble interfacing my 48 to my Hayes Smartmodem 1200. I'm
>not sure if the problem resides in the cabling, configuration switches,
>IOPAR, or what, so here's my condition:

>I've constructed a 9-pin to 25-pin adapter to connect my *genuine* HP
>cable to the Hayes. It is wired as follows (using the standard 9 and 25
>pin numbering):

[etc.]

>In this configuration, when I place the string "ATDT918005551212" on the
>stack and hit XMIT, the SD (send data) light on the Hayes blinks, but the
>modem does not dial and nothing happens. A "1" is placed on the stack by
>XMIT. When I next perform BUFLEN, a 0 is returned to level 2 and a 1 is
>returned to level 1.

I don't have my Hayes manual with me, so I don't remember what the DIP
switches change, but I wonder if setting system flag -38 would help?  This
is the "append linefeed" flag, and causes the 48 to end each line with a
CR/LF, not just a CR.  I'm suggesting this on the possiblility that the
Hayes is looking for both a CR and a LF.

-- Ray
rrd@hpfitst1.hp.com

TDSTRONG%MTUS5.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (Tim Strong) (02/11/91)

On Sun, 10 Feb 1991 23:54 CST you said:
>Newsgroups: comp.sys.handhelds
>Subject: Re: Help please connecting 48 to Hayes modem
>From: rob@ireta.cynic.wimsey.bc.ca (Rob Prior)
>Date: 4 Feb 91 17:44:04 GMT
>
>rrd@hpfcso.HP.COM (Ray Depew) writes:
>
>> Dr. William B. Busa reports:
>>
>> >I've constructed a 9-pin to 25-pin adapter to connect my *genuine* HP
>> >cable to the Hayes. It is wired as follows (using the standard 9 and 25
>> >pin numbering):
>
>Yours didn't come with one?  I would contact HP about that... Everyone I
>know around here got one with theirs...

It probably did.  However the one that comes with the cable wouldn't work
since its wired straight through.  When wiring a cable to talk to a modem
the send and receive lines are swapped.  The connector that comes with
the cable is for connection between terminals and is what is known as a
null modem connector I believe.   By the way don't take this as the word of
GOD.  I'm pretty new to  RS232 interfacing and standards.

  ___
  :__)  _   _:  _   _   Tim Strong <tdstrong%mtus5.bitnet@cunyvm.edu>
  :  \ (_: (_: (_: :    Michigan Tech.    Houghton, Michigan