[comp.sys.handhelds] Backing up memory

bgribble@jarthur.claremont.edu (Bill Gribble) (02/10/91)

Is there some way to make an ARCHIVE also archive any library objects
  currently in merged memory?  I'd like a backup set to include *all*
  of memory, and stuff you've compiled into a library is usually that
  stuff you use most often and want to have comeback when you restore
  memory.

And yes, I have RTFM, but seemingly to no avail.  Doesn't seem to say
  much about libraries than that they exist.

Thanks.

**   Bill Gribble                     Harvey Mudd College, Claremont, CA   **
**   bgribble@jarthur.claremont.edu   Never heard of it?  You're stupid.   **

cloos@acsu.buffalo.edu (James H. Cloos) (02/12/91)

In article <10742@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> bgribble@jarthur.claremont.edu (Bill Gribble) writes:
>Is there some way to make an ARCHIVE also archive any library objects
>  currently in merged memory?  I'd like a backup set to include *all*
>  of memory, and stuff you've compiled into a library is usually that
>  stuff you use most often and want to have comeback when you restore
>  memory.
>
>And yes, I have RTFM, but seemingly to no avail.  Doesn't seem to say
>  much about libraries than that they exist.
>
>Thanks.

As far as I can think of ( ;-) ), the only way you could do this is, just
like with the flags, to, say, 0 PVARS DROP VL\->S 2 * \->LIST 'LibsBaks'
STO, where VL\->S is as per 411 ( \<<{}+ \-> l\<< 1 l SIZE FOR J l J GET DUP
RCL SWAP NEXT l SIZE \>>\>> ).  Or you can do it w/o the automation.

Remember that ARCHIVEing to a port just creates a BACKUP object in that
port, and the concept of ARCHIVEing to IO is just an extension thereof, so
it is not surprizing that ARCHIVE to :IO:??? does not archive port 0 (or
any other RAM ports).

Hope this helps, some.

-JimC
--
James H. Cloos, Jr.		Phone:  +1 716 673-1250
cloos@ACSU.Buffalo.EDU		Snail:  PersonalZipCode:  14048-0772, USA

(The code to VL\->S is Copyright (c) 1988 Thomas Affinito, 411 itself is
available in the ftp archives.)